We've just closed a new funding round!

Thank you. I had checked, and searched my email for “Monzo”, which had come up with nothing. However, inexplicably, my junk folder does contain those emails.

Will edit my original post. Thanks again, @Ordog

2 Likes

The old nemisis, the junk folder :frowning:

1 Like

I am absolutely appalled by some of the tones from certain members in this thread. It appears to be the same people around the community too.

Just because someone has only invested say £10, and you’ve invested say £1000, does not mean that their opinion as an investor is any less valuable. The only difference is in wallet size. You’re still all human.

The way some of these replies are worded I personally feel is creating a “the big spenders” and the “the nobodies” type of situation and is unacceptable.

This community is really becoming quite a vile playground for a certain few people which is sad.

But getting back to the topic at hand, thank you for the update Tristan. One hopes that 2018 investors will start seeing an increase in the near future.

9 Likes

If this was announced I would have invested something how odd that I fail to get opportunity

It wasn’t a public funding round so no one really got to invest. And further up lots of people, including Monzo, explain why exactly they chose to go down this path. It’s old news at this point

7 Likes

You’ll be saying that about bitcoin again in 5 years :wink:

What an utter disappointment. I was naive to think that Monzo was a company that wouldn’t dilute the shares of its loyal customer base. I guess we’re just nobodies to them, since we don’t have the protection of an anti dilution clause. :no_mouth:

Well the alternative was your shares being worth nothing because they run out of money

4 Likes

That’s quite the stretch.

which round / s did you buy in ? , how much have you been diluted ?

It’s difficult to tell exactly how much we were all diluted. I invested in 2018. The subsequent private investment round was at a 2bn valuation and was of 130mil, each share was over 13, but now they have issued at least 40% of those shares again because the private investors were protected by a non dilution clause.

Sadly this is probably only the first red flag. I can’t imagine it will be the last, they’ve just demonstrated they have no interest in protecting the crowdfunding investors.

I don’t think that someone not doing something they never promised to do is too much in the way of grounds for a complaint personally. Maybe a little more checking before buying was the thing to do here if this was going to be important to you?

8 Likes

you had exactly the same protection as VCs against dilution from round E and previous rounds , if you had read the prospectus (page 91) its quite clear - so in effect Monzo treated the “nobodies” in exactly the same way as somebody with 5 million quid in their hot little hands clamouring to invest.

" because the private investors were protected by a non dilution clause. " no, all investors were protected subject to the price they bought at since the Articles of Association submitted in 2017

If this funding round had been below the public offering price (£7.71 ?? ) you would be entitled to the anti dilution clause formula benefit as well if you had bought at that price - subject to the caveats in the Articles of Association …exactly like other investors, no more, no less

11 Likes

Someone’s salty today, that’s the risk you take when investing, shares can be diluted anytime when more funding rounds come up, that’s the life of startups.

4 Likes

I’ve learned something today! Do you remember all this stuff or are you on a quick reread regime?

2 Likes

quick read and have an idea where to look :slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/starling-bank-banking-competition-remedies-35m-funding-application-alternative-remedies-092513132.html

You’d really hope Monzo were applying for these grants also

3 Likes

Monzo applied last time but their bid was unsuccessful.

At the time, Metro, Starling and Nationwide were chosen though some of them have since decided to hand money back to the fund.

Though Starling need to be careful - the only reason they have met their business loan target is as they have included Bounce Back Loans in their stats - before that they were well behind target.

1 Like

The remedies fund is there to increase competition not concentrate that within one organisation

2 Likes