We're adding two new fees, which only affect a minority of customers

Interesting. Do you have any examples? As I say, I haven’t seen many of these.

But Monzo ISNT a pre-paid account.

It’s a real bank.

Say if I have an account with Halifax, Barclays, Coop, NatWest > if I only used one as my real bank and another as a spending. I won’t get charged.

However Monzo is the only bank I got

3 Likes

Show some examples.

First Direct used to charge a monthly fee, not sure if they still do.

HSBC have multiple tiers that they will either demote you to or pressure you into upgrading.

Barclays just demote you, or remove your perks if you have blue rewards whilst still charging you from them.

And then Natwest as a few others have also mentioned.

1 Like

It doesn’t take a lot of effort to switch, it’s all automated now.

We’ve already been through all this. Getting £70 a week means you sadly don’t meet the criteria and are in the minority.

Instead of continually banging the same drum on here, vote with your feet and move on.

5 Likes

You get insurance included with that; that’s a whole different thing.

1 Like

They’re all for perks.

NOT for accessing your own money

4 Likes

So you have no direct debits on your account?

You’ll both get the fee-free allowances for cash withdrawals and extra two replacement cards :blush:

2 Likes

Mostly, but not always, for some they’re requirements just for having the account.

1 Like

First Direct no longer charge, and those accounts all offer perks. Monzo is adding these to their basic bank account.

7 Likes

Even so, requirements for having the account but if you have the account that don’t have perks. You’ll still not be charged for withdrawals

2 Likes

Exactly this is what I’m trying to say

1 Like

Interesting.

I hope that card damage / wear and tear beyond cosmetic wear is not included in the limit.

As a Full Monzo user, I’m using my card more than people who are not, I imagine, so I expect my card will suffer more damage? Also I have had replacements in the past due to cracks down the card etc.

So I hope Monzo either don’t charge for those type of replacements, or make improvements to the card durability.

Thought 2 on (UK) ATM charges; The cynic in me sees this as Monzo trying to become firmly Digital Only, discouraging cash use as much as possible. Not sure how I feel about that.

I’d like to have more understanding of ATM fees Monzo face anyway; I know they are not part of the Link network, but from what I understand LINK charge £0.25 (ish) per Cash withdrawal. I’d rather a flat-fee than a scaling percentage, I think.

I don’t know what non-LINK members face in terms of fees, but I feel it’s an approach for Monzo to try and avoid cash rather than genuinely have a workable solution for it.

That said the entry limit seems reasonable, so I can’t argue with that. It seems on the face the policies are designed around limitining the use of Monzo as a spending card, but not sure if there’s more to it than that.

3 Likes

That’s fine. But can Monzo and some of their customers stop having a holier than thou attitude. They charge fees just like every other bank. They are charging people to access their own money… whilst using their deposits.

10 Likes

You pay in £67 a week and take out £600 a month, you’re in an incredibly small minority.

3 Likes

Who is withdrawing that much cash?

And who is ordering a new card every 4 months?

No wonder I can’t find Monzo chat on the app, it’s taken up by timewasters.

12 Likes

I use Monzo as my main account and a Plustomer so cash withdrawal fees do affect me, but as someone who very regularly breaks cards (back pocket, no wallet) I’m happy to pay £5 after 2 free cards a year, it seems a reasonable amount… just ordered a new card though so I have a nice non-scratched card for the next year :wink:

P.S please being out a metal card, will sort my bending problem

1 Like

Monzo is not a pre-paid card so comparing it to those is wrong imo.

All banks have customers who only use their accounts as spending accounts but don’t penalise their customers for this.

What they do is offer extra benefits for those who use it as their main account

4 Likes