We're adding two new fees, which only affect a minority of customers

That’s fine. But can Monzo and some of their customers stop having a holier than thou attitude. They charge fees just like every other bank. They are charging people to access their own money… whilst using their deposits.

10 Likes

You pay in £67 a week and take out £600 a month, you’re in an incredibly small minority.

3 Likes

Who is withdrawing that much cash?

And who is ordering a new card every 4 months?

No wonder I can’t find Monzo chat on the app, it’s taken up by timewasters.

12 Likes

I use Monzo as my main account and a Plustomer so cash withdrawal fees do affect me, but as someone who very regularly breaks cards (back pocket, no wallet) I’m happy to pay £5 after 2 free cards a year, it seems a reasonable amount… just ordered a new card though so I have a nice non-scratched card for the next year :wink:

P.S please being out a metal card, will sort my bending problem

1 Like

Monzo is not a pre-paid card so comparing it to those is wrong imo.

All banks have customers who only use their accounts as spending accounts but don’t penalise their customers for this.

What they do is offer extra benefits for those who use it as their main account

4 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: Are Monzo phasing out the Chat? (Moved from ‘new fees’ thread)

I’m in the same position but I’m earning even less

Just checking, but did you definitely not count replacements for the Plus cards where the envelope was already open? As I had one of those…

Can you not open a savings account at another bank, move your savings into that and then transfer out of savings into Monzo your monthly requirement which would be over the £500 p/m requirement?

Or look into why you’re having to withdraw £600 cash every month? Can’t you do bank transfers? Cash is dead.

1 Like

If you want people to stop having a “holier than thou” attitude saying things like the above won’t help.

Be more specific instead of making sweeping generalisations. I assume you’re only referring to withdrawing cash out above £250 per month when you do most of your banking elsewhere?

You still have plenty of other options to access your money if you don’t want to pay the fee.

3 Likes

So just to clarify a few scenarios as I’m a bit confused about the Joint account and impact here.

So SO and I both have personal accounts, and a Joint account. How would the following play out?

1. Neither of us pay anything into our Personal accounts, but do pay >£500/m into the Joint.
  2. I am Full Monzo, my SO is not. We use the Joint account for <£500 in spending each month.
  3. I am Full Monzo, my SO is not, but use the joint for >£500 of spending each month.

I would assume in all scenarios there, all users are treated as “meets the criteria”, and all 3 accounts get the limits described?

There are people who do all their banking with Monzo and are on a very low income who are below the threshold so yes they are being charged to access their money. It’s not a sweeping statement we are all discussing something very specific here!

3 Likes

Thank goodness there are other ways to move money around then! :smiley:

You still have to pay the PayPoint fee don’t you?

So will I be able to see what Monzo has assessed my status as being (either “meeting” or “not meeting” the criteria) via the app?

1 Like

Exactly!

You don’t have to do anything :slight_smile:

I would assume you’d need a direct debit in there somewhere too, to meet the criteria. Probably either on your personal account or the joint one.

1 Like

So are you saying, there’s people on low incomes at less than £500p/m who then withdraw their entire monthly earnings in cash? I think the issue is why are they withdrawing it all? Can’t they setup DD’s or bank transfers? Maybe use the debit card?

Some people have saving and got money from a non income such as injury’s and lawsuits.

What happens if they wanna withdraw that