We’re improving international transfers, powered by Wise 🌍

Isn’t ‘low cost transfer’ slower than ‘fast and easy’?

1 Like

If you transfer funds into Wise immediately (via bank transfer) after you set up the transfer with Low cost transfer, then it is the same thing. In this case, using Monzo does not make it faster, because it is effectively the same as Wise’s ‘Low cost transfer’. Additionally, you can see from my screenshots, that both estimate the funds to arrive at their destination in 3 hours.

It would also be good to introduce GBP to GBP international transfers, i.e. sending GBP to a GBP account abroad. This is already offered by Wise for a £4.27 fee.

Looks great but quite disappointing that they’ve increased the fees. I made a transfer through Monzo last week and paid the “low cost transfer fee”.

1 Like

Looks like the fees have gone up too! What was around £7.50 a week or so ago is now around £13! Not sure the changes to convenience are worth the extra charge. Will just use Wise directly now methinks :thinking:

1 Like

:face_with_monocle::flushed:
I am curious, how much you sent and which currency?

GBP2000 to AUD

Sent using Zoho Mail

Hi, why is the fee almost double what you get with Wise directly? It seems (unless I’m missing how to use a feature) that on Wise you have the cheaper fee options:

• Low cost transfer (straight from bank account) - £4.16 for example £1000 to $

• fast & easy transfer (from debit or credit card) - £7.14 for example £1000 to $ - This is the fee shown by Monzo

I think it’s as you just explained, Monzo does it the quick way.

1 Like

Except the bank transfer option is also instantaneous as it uses FPS (as far as I’m aware) within the UK, so basically Monzo is just using the higher fee option unnecessarily

Also, this didn’t seem to be the case before this update?

1 Like

Debit card transfer probably earns Monzo some money, as it’s classed as a regular card transaction, which won’t be the case with a bank transfer.

I suspect that’s why they’ve changed it to use the higher fee option.

1 Like

Also worth remembering that nobody is being forced to use the Monzo way. If you don’t want to pay a little for the convenience, you can just use Wise directly

5 Likes

That’s true, but if I remember correctly a key part of this partnership when they first introduced was that “it’ll never cost you more money because you’re going through Monzo”- https://monzo.com/blog/2018/06/25/monzo-international-transfers

That’s clearly not the case anymore

When I checked now for £100 in app to euro it was 55p the same as the lower fee on transfer wises site not 85p.

I get this

1 Like

Weird
iOS App Store version

Same on iOS here … Is iOS CHEAPER!? :joy: Is this an Android Tax? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m also on iOS App Store release! How weird!

1 Like

I’m on iOS and get the £0.85 fee

Is this a Plus v Plain Jane accounts difference?

Maybe @jackcully could shed some light on it?

@ndrw I’m on a normal account, no plus/premium here.

1 Like