Using Monzo everywhere: improving merchant acceptance

Am also a strong believer in not saying anything unless it actually doesn’t work. Feel like so many of these policies are just wrong.

E.g.
The amount of times I used Apple Pay to people’s surprise before it was common knowledge that it wasn’t limited like contactless.

The amount of ‘Monzo won’t work’ places that I just paid with before they could stop me.

My absolute favourite was during the Amex ‘shop small’ promotion a few years ago though. I checked the Amex app and found a fish+chips place near my work doing the £5 back on a £10 spend. Went in and saw a very large ‘no amex’ sign above the register. Paid with Apple Pay just fine and got my £5 of course. Very odd though??

8 Likes

They’re wrong because I think the policies are outdated.

I gave up mentioning anything because I found people don’t really understand how these services work and it resulted in huge delays and conversations with supervisors and all sorts.

Then usually their default response is to just say ‘sorry we can’t do this’ , likely through fear of consequences. Which is understandable because it’s not in the policy that they’ve agreed to follow.

1 Like

Okay so just after I posted here I emailed them - the support was provided by Travelex and I was apparently due a response within 48 hours… I still haven’t heard from them.

Anyway, today’s the day I went to pick up the dollars. I turned up at the counter, handed over my card and didn’t say anything. The person behind the desk counted out the money, then noticed that my card number didn’t match the number on the order.

I explained that it was a virtual card and the website wouldn’t let me use my physical card, then showed them the card within my app. They then made a phone call to authorise it, and about a minute later it was all fine.

Minor inconvenience, but at least this isn’t something I have to do much, given most places I travel to will either accept MasterCard or have free to use ATMs.

Given that I needed to provide photographic ID too, it would have been really strange if they refused to hand over my order.

6 Likes