Using Monzo everywhere: improving merchant acceptance

Haha! I love cats and still haven’t managed one, but my first will be in November! Hopefully this isn’t a trend for cat cafes as if so half of us won’t be able to pay :joy:

Tried to use monzo on both my outgoing and return flight with ryanair and it didnt work both times.

I thought monzo put the pressure on and fixed this acceptance issue a while ago?

1 Like

I was about to agree, as I thought I’d had it rejected and then subsequently work.

But having searched my transactions, I can’t find any for on board snacks… and I know I will have had a G+T as a minimum.

That’s Monzo saving you from paying stupid prices :eyes::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I had a BA flight that randomly took the money three months after my flight. No pre-auth in the app as I guess it couldn’t do it from the plane? I nearly cancelled my card suspecting fraud!

1 Like

As a minimum

An man to my own heart.

2 Likes

Had the exact same thing with BA once too! Was very freaked out for a minute before I worked out it was genuine…

2 Likes

I wonder why they take so long to cash up. You’d think it would at least be monthly.

I was a little tipsy on the plane as well so I nearly forgot completely about the bonus wine I bought.

2 Likes

Haha love that. Yeah, very weird… :thinking:

2 Likes

I had Select vending take money from my account 8 months after buying from a vending machine at work…

3 Likes

Holy frick that’s the winner! They must get push backs from people thinking it’s a spoofed card all the time.

3 Likes

Flew on Ryanair last weekend and had the same acceptance issues both ways. They said it would work using Apple or Google Pay so ultimately the transactions still went through Monzo, but there must be a large proportion of account holders who don’t have one of those options setup.

What happened? Did they refuse Monzo on sight or did they try it and not work?

1 Like

They said it wouldn’t work on both occasions so I didn’t demand to try it

1 Like

I had exactly the same on a Ryanair flight. Like you, I didn’t test it, and monzo via Apple Pay worked perfectly.

I’d be testing it just to prove a point or at least then to see it actually is true that you can’t technically use it.

3 Likes

So here’s a fun one, I just tried to order some dollars using my Premium card from Sainsbury’s as I need some cash for an upcoming trip and I’m not sure I’ll find any free to use cash machines

On the payment page it threw up the error ‘please use a card issued in this country’, so I tried to use a virtual card instead and that worked…

Well, kind of. On the order confirmation page it says this… Not sure this is going to work out really considering the card doesn’t physically exist…

2 Likes

Good luck :rofl:

2 Likes

Please update us on how this goes @RichardL! It’ll be the same predicament for anyone doing the same with a Chase debit card (due to the different in-app and physical card details), so I’d be curious to know whether they accept/can understand the virtual card situation.

2 Likes

Is this one of those weird policies that they actually don’t enforce and they can’t really check or refuse as a result.

Similar to when I’ve paid for things with virtual cards or Google Pay and need a refund. They always ask for me to pop the card I paid with into the terminal. I never say anything, just stick in my Monzo card and there has never been a problem.

3 Likes