Travelling with Monzo ✈️

You asked in the best place for anyone to post their tips :arrow_down: the first time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Created a Kenya topic here: Monzo in Kenya 🇰🇪

1 Like

hi alexs - just about to go to Perth and Western Oz too beginning of Feb so was wondering how you got on last Dec?

I suggest you also see 🇦🇺 Monzo in Australia [Discussion]

1 Like

I’m planning a trip to Zimbabwe, passing through South Africa, Botswana and Namibia.
Has anyone any experience of whether Monzo can be used at Victoria Falls for Hotels and Excursions?
I’ve only just arrived in this forum and haven’t found the Create Thread link.
Thanks to anyone who can help.

Instep

also have a look at 🇿🇦 Monzo in South Africa

1 Like

Thanks @SladdinCJ! Will add it in :+1: Have a great trip!

1 Like

Hi all,

So far I’ve travelled Thailand, Laos, Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia and Vietnam with my Monzo card.

I couldn’t withdraw any cash from ATMs in these countries maybe there is something wrong with my card.

But in all of them I could pay using monzo card either contactless or chip and pin.

Has anyone had the same problem ? I mean no ATM withdrawals.

have you enabled your mag strip, and are you a verified user ?

enabling mag strip -

• iPhone can do it in app on the card screen tap on the settings , Android need to contact customer support - it should then work in most ATMs

ID verified user

section 17 in the T and C tells you verified / unverified card limits to give you a clue whether you’re verified or not

2 Likes

Using Monzo in Nepal :airplane:
Hi, I’m travelling to Nepal in May, and was wondering whether anyone had any experience of using Monzo there. Grateful for any information you can provide

Hi Justin,

Could you please create a new topic for Nepal (you’ve got the formatting spot on ;)) & it will be added to the directory at the beginning of this thread, to make it easy for other users to find :slight_smile:

Alex, thanks for your reply. Sure. I’m not clear how to do that, though. Can you help?

No worries (it looks like @anon44204028’s created a new topic for you, for Nepal but you’ll want to create one for Tibet, unless he beats you to it…

To create a new topic, click the Monzo logo in the top left > new topic.

You’ll want to use the header Monzo in [country name] & Travelling with Monzo as the category. Just give me a shout if you have any issues :slight_smile:

@alexs, sorry only now been re-reading the thread, so sorry for the late response. I think technically (politically) Tibet is considered part of China, so I’m expecting Monzo to work in a similar way there - though Tibet is a lot more remote, so not sure how widespread the use of cards will be. I do think the magstripe feature is likely to be useful there

1 Like

Tibet is an Autonomous Region of the People’s Republic of China whereas Hong Kong and Macau are Special Administrative Regions of the People’s Republic of China. The flags of the respective SARs have been shown in their topic head. There is no specific flag for the region of Tibet so none has been included. Tibetan flags found on the internet are those used by independence and separatist movements so have been omitted to avoid political arguements in this forum.

Is there any way to find out the currency rates you get per transaction on Monzo?

Yes, since Monzo are giving you the wholesale MasterCard exchange rate, you can check it here Mastercard Currency Converter | Currency Exchange Rate Calculator

There’s been some more discussion on exactly what to expect here -

1 Like

Monzo beats what you can get locally in Tenerife by nearly 2 cents in the pound, in that case.

1 Like

That’s great to hear!

It’s what I’d expect too, as even ‘no commission’ money changers simply offer you a worse rate, to make their margin :grimacing:

Money changers claim ‘0% commission’ but charge 14% above sterling-euro spot rate

Sidenote to the travelling advice:

Make sure you share your photos with us too :camera_flash: We’d love to see where Monzo is being used!

With or without your Monzo card in the shot! - If the former, remember to hide those numbers :wink:

4 Likes