The Pledges & Investing

It’s likely we’ll reach 2.2 million with this next batch of investor e-mails. I expect 1 or two smaller batches to be sent after this- keep the hope alive everybody!

7 Likes

We’ll be able to match you as an investor from this nothing to worry about perk-wise!

1 Like

When are they going out @Naji, today?

Yep, later this afternoon!

3 Likes

Do you accept crisp high fives as bribes for putting my name on the list?

I could stretch to a high 10 but I’d be cutting my own throat.

5 Likes

Since non-Monzo users have been able to invest in this round of crowdfunding, there’s been a report from at least one user who knows someone else that pledged multiple times from several accounts, in order to increase their chances of being picked to invest in the ballot.

I know that Monzo had concerns about filling the allocation & perhaps Crowdcube won’t allow this - but could the next round of crowdfunding be restricted to Monzo users only - to ensure that everyone has a fair chance to invest?
I expect that would mean more people sign up as Monzo users too :tada: & they really should if they’re considering investing! Fake pledges don’t help Monzo get an accurate picture of the level of interest from potential investors either.

Also - if Monzo / Crowdcube did anything to prevent people registering from several accounts, that would be good to know.

11 Likes

Just an update on this, as there were issues with the Crowdcube site yesterday, we’ve extended the 48-hour window to invest for people who received an e-mail on Saturday. This means we’ll be sending the next e-mails tomorrow afternoon instead :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

This really annoys me; the whole system is falling apart and rife to abuse; it seems so crooked to me. I’ve lost a lot of faith in Monzo over this farce of a system. I’ve gone from someone excited to have a Monzo account to someone who is now nonplussed and a little annoyed.

5 Likes

I haven’t given up all hope, but realistically I think my chances of getting an invitation for this round at this late stage are now looking quite slim! Anyway, during the Monzo pre-registration period, I joined Crowdcube (in anticipation of possible need) and found two or three other ventures that also interested me. I’d already decided to dip my toe in the crowdfunding waters and was hoping that Monzo might be my first investment, but something else has now bagged that crown. Still got some funds ready for Monzo though, if the chance comes along either this time or another time. The whole Monzo thing has spurred me to get involved in something new on the investment front, so thanks are due from me to them for that incentive.

4 Likes

According to boss man, it’s hard cheese!

This question was asked by me 20 days ago:

1 Like

I’d like to keep this civil, but yes Alex always taking Monzo’s side, being unwilling to view things from another’s perspective, acting as if he’s staff and talking as if he is for all of us is getting old hat.

Apparently none despite being asked the question twenty days earlier.

In fairness a minority that didn’t get to invest in this crowdfunding round were always going to be upset with not being able to get their stake in what they previously believed to be a great company with great potential - and now want to show their displeasure by saying

• “the whole system is falling apart and rife to abuse”

they quite clearly can and do treat everybody as fairly as they can given the constraints that they have .

with 12m + pledged and 2.5m on the table not everybody was going to get their wish which has been said a lot by others including me. Should Monzo have stopped the pledges at 2.5m ? and then when it comes to giving their pledge changed their minds and didn’t pay - its a no win situation for Monzo

If you are so upset that you want to go to another similar bank ( you said previously in a post ) that is your choice

To start attacking “the boss man” is both unfair and unwarranted - he is always on this forum offering advice - take it or leave it - on people difficulties

11 Likes

My view on this is that whether it was a fair ballot or not, the likelihood of anyone being picked twice is not worth talking about. There is more than likely going to be more people who forget to secure their investment or no longer want to invest, than those who tried to register twice.

@alexs keep up the hard work and research! :+1::+1:

5 Likes

Looking ahead to a potential future crowdfunding, is there a risk that the existing investors will begin to “crowd out” potential new investors?

Lets assume for a second that Monzo continues to grow at a pace and the increasing staffing costs and capital requirements from more users lead to another round of investment being needed next year. Currently EU rules cap an individual crowdfunding at around £4m (€5m). With existing investors having an automatic right to invest further, could that mean up to £3.5m (£1m from the first round and £2.5m from the second) could go to existing investors if they invested amounts equivalent to their previous rounds? This could potentially leave only £500k for new investors?

I said it was quite unprofessional and after spending all that time creating a fair system to have it abused so easily is a joke.

I have a strong sense of fairness which I feel this whole affair has never been. I am entitled to my own opinion, but if I’m offending the current investors I’ll save my breath. I thought the point of this forum was to comment and give feedback.

I am switching banks currently through other reasons.

1 Like

I haven’t said you aren’t entitled to your opinion - which obviously you are, and have voiced it without censorship - which in itself shows how open this community of Monzo users is

3 Likes

You haven’t offended me…

3 Likes

“I said it was quite unprofessional and after spending all that time creating a fair system to have it abused so easily is a joke.”

what do you see as being abused so easily ? do you have friends that have given multiple emails to gain an advantage on the odds of success

No but others have claimed to and being able to invest more or less than pledged is unfair too.

1 Like