The Current Account Switch Service (CASS)

It’s 3 years and 13 months since the last redirection. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/banking/2017/01/redirection-period-for-payments-to-old-bank-accounts-to-be-extended-

It might have been a bit of both but I panicked a bit thinking that I couldn’t update the details, however when I checked payroll they had been updated.

Intrigued as to how this happened as I wouldn’t expect your bank to be sharing details with your employer. Hmmm, odd one!

2 Likes

Why not? They’re sharing details with your leisure club/electricity company/random charity with whom you have direct debits setup. I would think your employer (who already holds your account details) is at least as trustworthy as some of them. Hopefully more-so!

1 Like

I wouldn’t expect them to because I didn’t authorise it. I did however sign a piece of paper setting up a direct debit so that’s completely different and is a scheme with specific rules. Direct debits are converted under CASS. I can’t see anything there about employers being part of the process.

Edit: just found this which suggests it’s not automatic but explains how the employer got the right details 1702A57F-0BF9-43D4-BA4C-F0BF8560F556

When you use CASS, you are authorising the bank to contact the various parties with the new information, that’s the point of the service (which is covered by its own guarantee). Salaries are explicitly covered under the process:

Your new bank will have transferred all of your regular incoming payments (such as your salary or benefits) and outgoing payments (such as Direct Debits, standing orders, future dated payments and bill payments) to your new account, along with any remaining credit balance. Your saved Payee details will also be transferred over.

from Step 3 at:

And in any case, the direct debit you signed authorised the organisation to debit your old bank, it did not authorise the bank to transmit any details back to the organisation. So there is nothing inherent in the direct debit that makes it ok for your bank to contact the debiting organisation with further personal details about you. This only happens because of the CASS, and the authorisation you’re providing as part of that service.

1 Like

The seven day switch is a good way to help.

However I have a question… I noticed when trying to this with a TSB account… when it moves all your payments/DD’s/standing orders it closes the account you swapped from…

I would want to move everything to Monzo but not close my old account, is that possible? or is a different system needed?

[Edit: seems I wrote a load of rubbish, see Bob’s post below :arrow_down:]

I believe there’s usually an option to move payments, etc., but leave the old account open. It might depend on the ‘new’ bank’s implementation, but I seem to remember reading that someone used Starling’s CASS and was able to leave their old account open. Might have imagined this as I can’t find it now.

1 Like

The CASS help and support pages disagree:

IMG_2409

3 Likes

Thanks Bob. No idea where I got that from, but shows that I should stay away from speculation/vague ideas! Have edited my post above appropriately. :wink:

2 Likes

Is CASS going to be available as an option for those who start migrating their accounts from the prepaid to the current account in the coming weeks?

Just thinking - with all the feedback both here and on Starling’s forum about individual switching experiences, you’d never believe the big news this week is that Current account switching is on the decline.

Switching between some legacy banks is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire!! (With the exception of FD and one or two others).

Switching to Monzo & Starling is a leap to the better future we all hope. Especially after the features keep coming.

Switching isn’t something people like doing, but for the challenger banks it should be for the better!!

3 Likes

A bit off-topic, but does anyone have technical details on how CASS works? What’s the format of messages involved, etc.

It suspect it’s just a guy at the bank phoning people… paper direct debits don’t have any online system to communicate with so those have to be done manually. Online ones are always a variety of systems varying between fully automated ones to ‘download a pdf and email it back to us’.

(It’s also the only way I can explain how screwed up my first CASS was, but that’s a rant for another day).

1 Like

I think it makes a lot of use of existing BACS functionality, for Direct Debits to inform a new institution is routed through ADDACS (Automatic Direct Debit Amendment & Cancellation Service). Not sure how they inform Direct Credits would imagine not a million miles away from ADDACS l guess. ADDACS can use a number of file formats xml, csv it’s been a while since l was involved in that kinda detail.

Redirection is resolved by BACS rather than the Bank you left.

Now that people are having their prepaid accounts converted into CA do we have any better ETA on the CASS service? I really can’t be bothered contacting all my DD and standing orders to move things over individually unless I really need to.

It’s in the roadmap

I agree, CASS makes switching so much easier.

Eagerly awaiting the switching service.
Got my debit card but won’t be using the account till the service is offered.

Is there anything that CASS won’t work for, that needs to be done manually?