The Boden / Blomfield Saga

I was disappointed with it. Mainly provides a superficial roundup of the state of modern fintech apps and services, which is probably outdated by now, a few months following publication. Most of it would have been better suited to a series of blog posts than a book. I was hoping for a deeper dive into banking and a bit more of a narrative. Looks like there will be more of that in the new book, however I’m a bit put off by her self-promotional/self-important style which is apparent in the Money Revolution book and the excerpt in The Times.

4 Likes

Anne liked this enough to share it herself on Twitter:

2 Likes

I think you misread my post.

4 Likes

Since the 2013 act, the claimant has to prove they have suffered “serious harm”, even if the statement is false, for the claim to succeed. Plus, of course, the libelous statement has to be of fact, not opinion, and the book is clearly a personal account.

1 Like

The book is actually quite small at 288 pages, the actual content might be a lot less than that depending on if they have a proper index etc. So I wonder how much space is given to this saga? Whether the rest of the book is rather dry?

In other news, I think Anne Boden should have narrated the audiobook instead of letting someone else do it. Amazon shows Janine Cooper Marshall as the narrator.

The Times article was part of a serialisation. So I imagine, unless it’s referred to elsewhere in the book, that is that for the incidents described.

1 Like

I usually prefer audiobooks to be narrated by a voice artist, unless the author is already good at it.

Curious - why?

Should the writers of TV shows act them too?

1 Like

Some writers do act out in their TV shows…

Anyway, with this type of book, I prefer the audiobook in the authors voice.

i broke cover

3 Likes

Not all authors make good readers of their own work. It’s a job that takes a lot of time and a lot of skill. I’m not going to rag on authors who decide they aren’t skilled enough or don’t have enough time. Better to have an actor read a book well than an author read it badly.

My favourite examples of bad audiobooks are always ones where the reader hasn’t pre-read the book at all, so they get almost to the end and find out that they should’ve had a stutter, or they’ve given a character the wrong accent :laughing: And even then I’m not so much laughing at them as using them to point out that, yes, reading audiobooks really is more skilled than you might think.

(And don’t think that authors, having written the book, don’t fall into that trap; I know of multiple instances where authors who’ve read their own audiobook have told stories that have ended up with “If I knew I was going to read the book myself, I wouldn’t have written it that way” :sweat_smile: It’s one thing to use a fancy word on the page, but another thing to find yourself having to say it when you’ve never said it before! :grimacing:

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

Frankly, if you can’t get James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman to narrate your book, it should probably be in printed form only. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m holding out for the Netflix interactive version. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I know you aren’t serious, but that could actually work well.

Like the Brexit dramatised documentary?

And if it was interactive, you could select “Tom’s perspective” or “Anne’s perspective” for different scenes?!

1 Like

What colour shawl would you pick? How do you think it would influence the story?

1 Like

Hot coral.

5 Likes

“he said, she said” avoidance:

5 Likes

10 Likes

That’s an excellent article, @sohear. So much I wanted to quote, but instead I’d suggest that everyone gives it a read!

6 Likes