Summary - Feedback thread

Yasssssss

Been waiting for this for sooooo long

I just wanted to give some additional feedback about something I noticed about my targets for last month, since we have just gone into the second month of the new “Summary” page.

My employer decided to pay us early last month to coincide with the bank holiday weekend (extra beer money) and my “Summary” month was reset on the 25th of May, by selecting my salary payment in Monzo. Today I went back to look at my spending targets for last month and noticed that they have been adjusted for the shorter month (30th April-25th May) meaning that a target I set for £200 is now showing as £167, £100 is showing as £83 and so on. This has pushed some of my spending targets from green to red after the month has ended, which to me adds no real value.

I can see why this makes sense mathematically, however I don’t see the benefit of Monzo readjusting my targets for me unless it is calculated in advance. Perhaps this is something that has been implemented too early, before custom pay day rules have been launched? I already know that my next payday will be the 29th of June, however based on last month’s early payment, Monzo is suggesting that it will end on the 24th. Does this mean that when I set my next payday, my targets will then be increased from the amount that I originally set to reflect the longer month (25th May-29th June)?

2 Likes

I just got this notification. Well done, me! :rofl:

Screenshot_20180601-193120

7 Likes

The rounding in the summary appears broken or flawed. According to the PDF statement, last month I did £688.20 in total outgoings last month. The summary page only shows £680. That’s a bit more than rounding to the nearest decimal place in any direction. I’d personally prefer having pence represented in all views where money is being shown - in my opinion these like databases should never ever lose or corrupt data, banks should never lose or misrepresent figures.

The switch from setting a hard pre-defined spending target to whatever comes in to the account and the various UX suggestions to hook my salary into Monzo is borderline dark pattern at best. I want to use Monzo not as the only card for my purchases, but to use it exclusively for day-to-day expenses only, with my other bank being the receiver of my wage and account I use for large (> £1000) payments.

With Summary and Custom dates it would be great to include an additional time frame within the search functionality for the ‘pay periods’ or the date cycles etc.

Whilst targets are aligned, this would be useful so that tags/emoji/descriptions can be searched to give an idea of spend in this window compared with the last window.

I notice at the top of the summary page it refers to the cycle as ‘month’ but searching by month still aligns with calendar month :calendar:.

I think this would be a good extra time frame, rather than replacing ‘month’ as there are use cases for both…

1 Like

@Jami when should we expect Overall Targets to return? Will be be able to set the start date ourselves? Summary is completely broken for me right now as I don’t get paid in a salary. It’s impossible to do even the most basic calculation ie how much I’ve spent this month!

2 Likes

We’re aiming to have Overall Spending targets released in June, we just need to finish up Direct Debit and Bill prediction first.

As you are not paid a salary, when do you want your month start? In what way is the calendar month default which we had with Spending V1 not working for you?

How much you’ve spent this month should be displayed in the top right of the Spending section.

Thanks. I tried to adjust to the new Summary by making a £550 payment from my Ltd company to Monzo on the 9th of May. Unfortunately this month my company won’t have the cashflow to make a similar payment on the 9th of June nor was it able to make it on the 1st of June in order to reset the budgeting period. So I’m stuck with a useless Summary.

200 posts later and we finally have the first post addressing when we can expect to see some of the removed functionality returned :+1:

When will Summary support weekly salary payments? My standing order from my company even has “SALARY” in the reference and Monzo ignores it. Without this functionality, Summary will always be useless to everyone who gets paid weekly.

1 Like

I have to say… This new summary thing is horrible compared to the original. It’s not intuitive and I have no idea what I’m looking at. Then finally had to make a guess that the amount left to spend was actually based on money in minus money out instead of the original budget minus money out. And before I could scroll through all my previous monthly spending really easily. Now I can’t. Just stop trying to fix what isn’t broken.

4 Likes

I’m sure I’m not the only person to say this but I get paid 4 weekly so my spending habits and budgeting is done for every 4 weeks. Would it be possible to make an option that allows us create a summary based on a 4 week month?

3 Likes

Hey! Any idea why targets aren’t being shown in my summary breakdown? See screengrab…Screenshot_20180604-191531

It was same for me. I disabled all (there’s an option at the bottom of targets screen) and the set the targets again. Started to work again.

Aaaand that works! Thank you :grin:
Still annoying tho :expressionless::confused:

1 Like

Any one any clues as to why DDs are not showing up and utilized within summaries?

Ah- just seen this in the newsletter:

Factoring Direct Debits and subscriptions into Summary :arrow_right:

So you can work out how much you have left to spend after regular expenses each month, we’ll start including your Direct Debits and online subscriptions (like Netflix, Spotify or Amazon Prime) in the Committed Spending section of your Summary.

1 Like

Targets on summary

So i’ve noticed that the targets feature has been hidden a little with the addition to summary. I only have the one category set up currently for groceries at £100 max but sue to not having spent enough in that category is doesn’t show in spending unless i open up the drop down menu.

I would be nice to have a separate tab for targets that works the same way. the first three are shown categorized with the one that is closest to red being at the top with the rest hidden under the drop down menu. The Targets dont even have to click through to the targets menu, they can just be there as a easy visual queue.

I’ve tried searching but ‘expenses’ is way too common
Why are ‘expenses’ included in the summary - by nature I’m going to get the money back?

2 Likes

I understand the filled out part means I’ve spent £10 out of £100. But what does the black vertical line mean? Is it how far into the month I am?

Screenshot_20180605-153849~2

I think this should be a separate feature.
I think Monzo could set this up to make claiming expenses easier.
I get £1000s going through my account but it should all balances to £0 spend