Starling Feedback

Sorry, I meant from the 2 correlating threads.

Spread the cost might have been on the roadmap for a while, but when the details were released, people were generally more appreciative (despite it looking worse on paper).

I wasnā€™t - the rate is terrible compared to other options. Maybe that will change, maybe it wonā€™t. But right now theyā€™re not targeting individual transactions or messing up the feed; itā€™s ā€˜hiddenā€™ away in the account tab. Thatā€™s fine as far as Iā€™m concerned, Iā€™m sure it will be useful to some to take a loan out with their bank.

Starling messed this up from day one, staring with the changing of the UI and putting these where people were managing their savings. From there it was all down hill.

Edit: and Monzo staff were up front and centre responding. Iā€™ve yet to see a Starling response.

1 Like

Yeah, the Monzo testing is just for a loan. Iā€™m not sure how spread the cost would work anyway. Youā€™d have to make the purchase before knowing whether you would be accepted for the loan?

So you have already bought it why spread anything? Is it cheaper than Monzoā€™s overdraft?

The difference will hopefully be, that Monzo wonā€™t be acting in a predatory manner. I wonā€™t be impressed if they start shoving ads for it in my feed. Let me know the service is there, and then leave me to turn it on if/when I want it.

4 Likes

thatā€™s not the difference in the product which is what I was asking, thatā€™s the difference in approach

1 Like

They have responded, they did it by deleting or ignoring every comment. Kris comment whilst trying to be helpful is almost the polar opposite. It should be obvious to anyone (especially a bank) why pushing loans to people in their statement (feed or whatever means they use) is irresponsible. Sarahā€™s comments where essentially just fire fighting the whole perception it was there because of declined transaction.

Also as pointed out by someone over there, itā€™s a direct contravention of their ethicā€™s policy.

https://sjc3.discourse-cdn.com/business5/uploads/starlingbank/original/2X/f/fb347a1887ce76031f78581b9ac34e0a38d192e8.jpeg

All Banks that offer them advertise loans but there is a time and a place for it. Lloyds do it to me, they offer it in my online banking but NEVER in my account feed.

This is a little bit of an extreme argument but valid (i think) What if they did a deal with commuter club in the market place. Then for every TFL transaction on my card they could advertise CC. Advertising in someones bank feed is Yahoo scanning email for relevant adverts (sorry I am repeating myself from previous posts). This is not Google I will not pay for my banking through adverts and selling of my personal data.

disclaimerā€¦ I copy and pasted that image from ā€œover thereā€ to save me going to find it and screengrab it again

other disclaimerā€¦ itā€™s obvious to everyone I am pissed off with Starling, but I canā€™t talk about on their community without being censored and deleted by Annes Army. Iā€™m happy to not post my feedback here if it annoys people

2 Likes

ā€˜Make banking more inclusive by putting customer needs firstā€™ - Aside from the loan debacle, how is charging Ā£20 for a bank statement, and Ā£60 if you lose your card abroad putting customer needs first?

5 Likes

Empty marketing speak.

3 Likes

The ethics statement Starling posted, which the community had to push for and took them ages to get up, is a complete work of fiction in my opinion. They donā€™t act in accordance with it and if they think they do then thereā€™s something seriously wrong. It was written to say the right things to please people/shut them up.

3 Likes

Why do they charge Ā£60 if you lose it abroad, surely the replacement is sent to your UK home address wherever in the world you lose it. Unless for that Ā£60 they send it out to wherever you are in the world (but Iā€™m doubtful!). Seems a bit of a con.

They send it to you, wherever.

1 Like

Ā£60 is way to much, I can send something DHL Express to say Australia next day for Ā£20

It says on the website itā€™s because itā€™s a ā€˜highly manual processā€™ or words to that effect. Iā€™ve no idea what that means though.

If it is highly manual thatā€™s not the customers fault, it is possible to automate it, Credit Card providers have been doing it for years. For Ā£60 Iā€™d expect it hand delivered by Anne herself, which I suppose would be a highly manual process. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

10 Likes

To be fair they donā€™t have an online banking just the app.

agreed

Iā€™ve been following the thread and it looks like there are some interesting suggestions over there but overall I suspect it will fall on deaf ears.

I can only assume Kris is now wading in as the issue is clearly not going away. I have no doubt he has the best of intentions and no complaints are ever personal, but heā€™s openly admitted he doesnā€™t work on the product and doesnā€™t seem to understand the base of the concerns.

The product owner should be on there as the person responsible and the person capable of actually making changes. Unfortunately, weā€™ve seen nothing of the person who launched loans and claimed was their product since the launch.

3 Likes

Iā€™m torn on this sort of issue since you talk of someone ā€˜capable of making changesā€™. Sure, letā€™s get the empowered bank people to consult the community but with Starling as with Monzo I will defend the right of the bank to make their own choices based on their own priorities.

I will equally defend the rights of customers to take their business elsewhere as a result of those choices.

What I struggle with is customers trying to drive the organisation. I get that itā€™s hard not to when the organisation is ā€˜wrongā€™ but thereā€™s a line there somewhere that I think shouldnā€™t be crossed.

Does that make any sort of sense?

4 Likes

I absolutely defend them making their own decisions, but to launch something as a product owner on a community, then never show up again despite a huge number of questions and issues is a whole different thing.

If they came back and said this is how weā€™re doing it because thatā€™s how weā€™re doing it, thatā€™s one thing, but to delete the discussion and never show up againā€¦ :man_shrugging:

5 Likes