Starling Discussion & Feedback

Keep your starling account, so you can use for
overseas ATM withdrawals and just transfer some money from Monzo to Starling, should you need it :wink: I say we let Anne bear the costs for all Monzo customers ATM fees :joy:

11 Likes

Got to say as user of both accounts I was impressed with Monzo help section today. Overnight I received an unexpected refund on Starling (sounds like itā€™s a general issue and not just Starling). The forum already had a topic. I went to report my issue via in app chat and go message ā€œno agents availableā€.

Opened Monzo app and the first topic on help was ā€œIā€™ve received an unexpected refundā€ which detailed the current situation. The suggested for you section on Monzo help is well done.

12 Likes

Thanks Tim - glad the help section was, you know, helpful! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Sounds silly but an actually helpful help section feels like a revolution in itself.
Well done Monzo :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Just to follow up. I hit a brief maintenance window for Starling support chat. So that explains that. :smile:

Well done in this instance for Monzo of creating a helpful help section. :grinning:

6 Likes

I say if your primary contact point is down for maintenance you should advise your customers in advanceā€¦

But then again weā€™re talking about a brand who erased incident history to cover up for their unreliable card processor (with no intentions of ditching them despite multiple incidents).

Come on Starling, you can do better!

5 Likes

I know this is a Monzo forum, and everything is going to be Pro Monzoā€¦ anti the main competition (anyone who doesnā€™t think Monzo and Starling are competitors areā€¦ wellā€¦ you get the picture).

But, I just wanted to say that Iā€™ve never had an issue with using Starling, itā€™s always been perfect.

I see a lot of people comment on Starling, without actually using it (or used to use it, and are commenting on the experience they had a year ago).

The only legitimate ā€œcomplaintā€ about Starling is the CS system - Canā€™t argue with that Iā€™m afraid.

But from a useable bank POV - I still see Starling as the front runner.

10 Likes

Z[quote=ā€œPoppaThor, post:530, topic:26970ā€]
(anyone who doesnā€™t think Monzo and Starling are competitors areā€¦ wellā€¦ you get the picture)
[/quote]

Even @tom doesnā€™t believe theyā€™re in competition. Other than that I agree with your thoughts.

1 Like

I did read that Tom doesnā€™t agree they are in competition, which is why I didnā€™t finish the sentence! :joy:

I justā€¦ donā€™t see how they are not. Sure, they are both ā€œdisruptingā€ the banking industry (to a certain degree), but make no mistake, they will both be looking to dominate the landscape when the Fintech bubble bursts.

I fear this may be a Betamax vs VHS case (or Blu-Ray vs HD DVD).

Monzo has such a big following (with very vocal supporters), that you wonder what they would have to actually do wrong, for people to leave them.

Iā€™m not saying I donā€™t want Monzo to do well - I moved from Monzo to Starling a few months ago, and Iā€™ve been happier with Starling (Apple Pay and the UX of the App won it for me). Obviously Apple Pay isnā€™t an issue now, but until Starling do something wrong, I see no reason to move.

I hope they both push on and really drive innovations in the banking industry - Everything so far has been just a tweak on the norm - Nothing really ground breaking.

1 Like

Itā€™s not like Highlander where there can be only one.
Having 2 strong new banks is probably more beneficial than just 1. Makes it easier for the public to accept it as real alternative to high street banks rather than just an oddity.

7 Likes

I think Tom sees thereā€™s tens of millions of people out there with NatWest, HSBC and the like, rather than pursuing the converted 100,000+ or so whoā€™ve switched to Starling.

I think they will keep the pressure on one another to innovate and keep the features flowing, but to get into a battle with one another is simply not worth it.

8 Likes

Iā€™m hoping both of these banks do well. As @Rat_au_van says. If both of these banks continue to do well it makes this style of banking seem like a very viable option to those hesitant to move away from the legacy banks

5 Likes

How many of us have both Monzo and Starling? They switched me away from the more traditional banking institutions, so I think they both are competing more with the traditional banks than with each other.

I donā€™t think it would be a sensible business choice to try and poach each others relatively small share of customers, when there are literally millions and millions of customers out there they can try and entice over.

9 Likes

Exactly!

6 Likes

A Venn diagram should be the final word in all discussions :joy:

7 Likes

Agreed.

15 Likes

You should probably stick to Starlingā€¦

Iā€™ll stick to both thanks :wink:

Iā€™ve been with Monzo (back when it was Mondo) since the start.

Just presenting a more balanced argument for readers to consider.

6 Likes

Looks like the Starling Community is getting polarised too, especially since Monzo introduced Apple Pay, and even more after todayā€™s Big List announcement:

https://community.starlingbank.com/t/monzo-vs-starling/5202?u=mrrobot

Sorry, Iā€™ve come in on the end of this. More balanced than what? (Translated as ā€œhow far back do I need to read?ā€)

4 Likes