Starling Discussion & Feedback

They’re not supposed to be right now (just like Starling’s Goals)? They will be once they start being used with integrations & perhaps, if Monzo add more functionality to them.

You are right. Although there is some marketing copy somewhere that says how wonderfully you can save money using pots. So maybe they are?

But be that as it may, people describe them as such, and prefer them over savings, and that surprises me…

You can, I have :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll give you one way I’m saving money using “goals”, over the joint savings account I have with my wife…

My wife doesn’t have access to it! :joy:

5 Likes

On this point … I know you can set up saving’s accounts that do have 3-5% - But a lot of the standard ones with the likes of Nationwide and FD, don’t have that - In fact… Nationwide e-saver has a 0.1% and FD Everyday Saver has 0.25%.

I just find Goals easier to manage, and for me, it works well.

2 Likes

I decided to try both Monzo and Starling and I have to stay that I prefer the Monzo App. It feels sleeker and easier to use and find things you need. Starling comes across more professional which is better for some, but I realised it’s missing a huge feature which is being able to download bank statements. The fact that Monzo is more community-based is what sold me.

5 Likes

Great to hear, although I should probably say that I’m sure you can download statements from the Starling app. I think @anon44204028 or @Demmedelusive would be able to confirm.

But great to have you part of the community! :monzo: :smile:

2 Likes

You can download statements but they are bit hard to find
Go to Account Management > Account Information > Statements

2 Likes

…as a full replacement for my old bank account.

I understand that the founder of Monzo originally was part of Starling, and I can see that there are a lot of similarities between the apps.

I’m trialing them both, but as someone who spends 2 months of each year out of the UK, and given the differences in the way cash withdrawals are handled, plus the fact I can get Apple Pay with Starling, I’m struggling to see the advantages of Monzo?

What am I missing folks? Have others experienced both? I can find various comparisons from last year, but there isn’t too much showing an up-to-date comparison.

1 Like

Maybe you need to give us a May 2018 comparison? I quit Starling last year and they won’t re-open my account so I have no idea what their offering is like currently.

There’s been lots of feedback about Monzo vs Starling in this topic so I’ve moved your post here, to keep all of the discussion in one place, I hope that’s ok!

3 Likes

That’s fine, good idea.

Well I’m only at the early stages but sign up, ID check etc was pretty much identical.

I was able to hook up to Apple Pay on Starling right away before my card arrives which was neat.

Monzo card arrived today. Will transfer some money into it and start using it but the basic premise seems the same, breaks down what you spend as categories, both have CASS so I will be able to easily switch when I’ve decided.

I’ve asked Qs in CS on both apps and had prompt and helpful replies.

I guess I can’t yet see the fundamental difference. Maybe the community here is better or something? Starling seems more established as ahead if the game with Apple Pay which is important to me although I understand it’s imminent at Monzo.

2 Likes

Ahh! I’d been looking all over but never gave it any thought that it would be in there. That’s great, thanks for that!

I’ve got accounts on both but I’m choosing Monzo for now. If Monzo doesn’t get international payments or Apple Pay within the next year I’ll switch over though! Although Monzo is slower for getting certain features, the app feels more polished.

5 Likes

I have accounts with both. They both have their advantages, and are both missing some stuff. Monzo doesn’t have international payments (and :green_apple: :dollar:) and there are still some basic things missing from Starling. You can’t (I think) search your transactions, for example…

My sense is that they’re both adding new features at a similar rate, so it’s very much an individual choice…

5 Likes

Great to have two challenger banks to choose from. Within Starling, you’ll find you can d/l complete monthly statements or ‘transactions so far in the current month’.

PDF or CSV format.

7 Likes

EUR accounts (hopefully with a maestro option) would be a killer feature for me and see me switch instantly.

I currently use N26 and Monzo, preferring Monzo but just keeping my currencies native…

Transferwise and Revolut not on the same level in the app, tho I do use them for exchanges.

1 Like

I think Starling will start going off the boil as they start to focus resources on their business accounts. I hope Monzo see this as a way of accelerating forward and differentiating in ways we value- rather than features that they see as easy to implement.

4 Likes

Now Monzo has Apple Pay and I recently discovered you can exclude transactions from the summary in labs, (Starling have not been forthcoming on this idea) I I have switched back to Monzo!

I will keep starling as i like the choice but switched my salary over too. cant beat Hot Coral.

It is a shame about the overseas ATM fees but i don’t think they will affect me too much…

13 Likes

Welcome back, Alex!

2 Likes