Starling Discussion & Feedback

You’ve just proved the point I was making

2 Likes

Those are all very non-answers that I’d expect from a politician, not a bank

There’s no point in defending this video

3 Likes

What do you want? dates to the day? Thats not real life. Thats ridiculous.

They’ve said what’s happening and a rough timeframe, and apparently that’s a non answer? At least I hope you’d give the same response to Monzo if they did the same.

1 Like

They said credit cards would be out this summer. Cheque imaging was due for August

2020 is a non answer. Might as well just say sometime in the 21st century

1 Like

2020 is only 1 year, that’s not much time. If Monzo said 2020 for something id be happy knowing that timeframe. Development takes time, especially to get right.

True but Monzo aren’t exactly on ball with cheque imaging and stuff themselves. Coming soon is always a favourite :wink:

1 Like

They said they couldn’t deliver by that date and updated customers about it, have Starling?

I do tend to critique them for :soon:™ and also I’d like to think I’ve been most vocal about their Plus mess. So not a blind fan of either

1 Like

I don’t mind soon™ so long as it’s actually true. And I’m critical of monzo when they skirted around dropping features (cheque imaging) instead of just being open and honest about it’s actual status. My work does this too and it doesn’t foster a good relationship when you try to coat over things.

I also don’t mind dates in a year, if you think you can stick to them. Things take time to make, and you have to be realistic about timeframes.

That’s kinda my point, why bother.

Just had a chat with Starling and it turns out they haven’t made any consideration for offline payments for SCA like Monzo.

I was told I could make five contactless payments in the airport £30+£30+£30+£30+£15 and do another 45 taps of £30 on the plane. So like £1485 which is a bit over the 150 euro

It also turns out they may have read the spec wrong and which is why they read article 11 as

a and b or c

And have implemented both the (b) £135 limit and (c ) five taps.

And monzo as:

a and (b or c)

and picked b to do £100 online and £30 reserved for offline.

I’ve been told they’ll be in contact asap. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

That sounds very um… non-compliant.

The idea is stop to someone who might have stolen your card to not be able to rack up hundreds of pounds worth of payments!

4 Likes

I am sure they will! You’ve really caught them on the hop there

Good spot

Presumably that is baked into the chip on the card

I wonder if it is possible to remotely update/correct that. Guessing based on all I have read on here about that topic, I would think not

I’ve asked a few chat OPs and they all don’t seem to know, or worryingly know what offline is. They all mention 50 so I assume that is baked in, hoping to get a response which isn’t guessing.

I’ll update this thread when I get an official statement back.

I’ve blanked their name on purpose.
"
(07:05:41 PM) Phil Dawson: And how much in total in offline?
(07:05:50 PM) Phil Dawson: Like on a plane?
(07:06:31 PM) K******: Let me just double check so I get it right, one moment
(07:06:35 PM) Phil Dawson: Thanks
(07:07:38 PM) K******: Okay, it should be £10 000
(07:09:07 PM) Phil Dawson: Blimey so if was on a plane I could spend ten grand in contactless before the card stopped anymore?
(07:09:37 PM) K******: It would likely be limited by the merchant themselves - and if you don’t have the funds it would put you in overdraft
(07:11:08 PM) Phil Dawson: But if the merchant had no restrictions, and say a bottle of gin was £30 and hypothetically the plane was just full of gin bottles
(07:11:31 PM) Phil Dawson: I could tap by card 330 times?
(07:11:45 PM) K******: Oh no, there is a transaction number limit
(07:11:58 PM) Phil Dawson: Ah what’s that?
(07:12:16 PM) K******: 50 card transactions a day
(07:12:38 PM) K******: And you would be liable for anything that was spent
(07:13:04 PM) Phil Dawson: So in offline mode it’s exactly the same
(07:13:06 PM) K******: And you can do 5 contactless payments in a row before you get asked to do Chip and PIN
(07:13:35 PM) Phil Dawson: Is it on the sixth you get asked?
(07:14:11 PM) K******: Sixth, yes.
(07:15:47 PM) Phil Dawson: But if card was used in offline how would that magical decline on the 6th?
(07:16:07 PM) Phil Dawson: The card doesn’t carry that instruction
(07:17:45 PM) Phil Dawson: The card must have a hard limit its tallying up or a hard limit on number of transactions allowed in offline mode
(07:18:16 PM) Phil Dawson: That would be at manufacturing of the card

(07:22:01 PM) K******: I was told it would decline on the 6th.
(07:22:05 PM) K******: Even offline.
(07:22:19 PM) Phil Dawson: lol that’s impossible though
(07:22:57 PM) Phil Dawson: Im talking about an offline payment, where there is no connection to Starling
(07:23:45 PM) Phil Dawson: The card is essentially saying debit this account when you get back online to process all the customers payments that bought something during the flight
(07:23:55 PM) Phil Dawson: Like writing a cheque
(07:24:09 PM) Phil Dawson: So most cards have a hard limit built in
(07:24:28 PM) Phil Dawson: Otherwise you could rip off the merchant easily
(07:25:24 PM) K******: Right, if the limit is £30 though for contactless, the 50 transactions would still stand, which would be £1500

Also changing their mind

(05:52:09 PM) Phil Dawson: Yeah so if I made five transactions say buying my lunch, all £3.00
(05:52:30 PM) Phil Dawson: That’s £15 quid, will Starling fail on the sixth?
(05:52:41 PM) Phil Dawson: And require chip and pin?
(05:54:00 PM) N******* : Apologies, it would cumulative of upto £135 before pin would be need to be entered
(05:55:15 PM) Phil Dawson: So taking the £3 lunch example would it allow 45 uses before prompt
(05:55:51 PM) N******* : essentially this would be the case, correct
(05:55:57 PM) Phil Dawson: And fail on the 46th?
(05:57:08 PM) N******* : in theory this would be case

Then (same person)…

(06:00:59 PM) N******* : After five consecutive contactless transactions or a cumulative amount above £135, chip and pin will be required. This means that on the sixth transaction or when you spend above £30 then you will not be able to make a contactless transaction and instead will need to enter your card into the merchants terminal and the pin
(06:01:30 PM) Phil Dawson: So they have done both?!
(06:01:44 PM) N******* : That is correcr
(06:01:48 PM) N******* : correct*
(06:02:39 PM) Phil Dawson: So going back to my lunch example, after 5 X £3 transactions totalling £15, Starling is failing the sixth payment? That’s crazy!
(06:03:12 PM) Phil Dawson: Why on earth did Starling implement both options, it was meant to be an either or
(06:03:36 PM) Phil Dawson: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
(06:05:32 PM) N******* : I apologise for that but it seems it would not go through as per SCA

The positive thing about Starling is when you chat you get a reply back in under a minute. They might not know what the answers are or give the wrong info out, but at least you’ll have the conversation there and then with a back and forth. :stuck_out_tongue:

Unlike Monzo where you might ask a question and its up to a week for someone to reply and then saying they need to escalate it and no one comes back to you, and so takes weeks to have a 10 mins conversation. Less Monzo Chat and more like Monzo PenPal. :disappointed:

4 Likes

Maybe someone will eventually get to the point of giving the correct information quickly!

1 Like

It’s the same CS issues with Monzo. They don’t know their product inside / out like we do. We probably know more than the average CS agent at either company because we’re far more interested in it. There’s probably no other customer who would bother to go back and forth because they’d accept the first answer as fact.

I don’t even remember what it was but I had a similar issue with a Monzo or Starling agent but they’re just working for money and will say what they think is right / what they can be bothered to check up on most of the time. You do sometimes have the more technically involved ones though which is always nice.

5 Likes

Quick question someone might be able to answer,

Friend of mine from northern ireland has recently moved to dublin (now using an irish sim in her fone) and wanted to open a starling account to get her euro salary paid in.

She mentioned she was unable to download the starling app through her irish sim? This expected?