Starling Discussion & Feedback

I’m not sure if they’ve launched in Ireland yet.

1 Like

Do you mean she wants to use her southern sim but register her account to a northern address?

1 Like

You need to use the UK App Store / Play Store. It’s region restricted to the UK only. Nothing about the SIM card.

It’s not really ideal to have her salary paid into Starling though as currently she can’t spend it, only convert it into £’s or send it to other Euro accounts.

Yes i think thats her point though… it autodirects to the irish play store for her i think :man_shrugging:

Is there a way to directly access the uk play store will in ireland on android? Im ios so no help to her.

She uses revolut at the moment but would like to move away from it if possible

Use a vpn, any free VPN from the playstore will be fine for a one off, unsure of which ones would work without sign-up though.

No that’s not what you need to do, you need to go to your Play Store account and specify a UK billing address and set the country to UK to force it to use the UK store.

Using a VPN will only give you secure access to whatever you’re using currently.

2 Likes

Lost my card in Thailand, they want £60 for a replacement, which I think is a little high/rude.

1 Like

Do you live in Thailand?

I was under the impression that they were only charging that to people who take advantage of their free cash withdrawal / spending limits and not using as their main bank account.

I do agree it’s high though, it costs significantly less than that to put a stamp on an envelope even when you’ve factored in the cost of picking it out manually that they said added to the cost.

Monzo have gone the right way with this though and offer the same flawless delivery to anyone anywhere - and if someone was taking advantage and abusing the scheme I’m sure they’d have rules in place to stop a few ruining it for the majority.

Yeah, I have only been using it for cash. That’s fair enough!

1 Like

Makes sense then, I think Revolut do a reasonable delivery rate to Thailand though if you’re looking to use Monzo + them, maximise your rates

They actually charge any customer whether Starling is your main bank account or not.

From what I’ve read they reserve the right to charge this fee. They don’t charge everyone as a matter of course.

That may be so but their official FAQ states they charge £60 for it so anyone who wants to use their Starling card aboard should be aware of that if they aren’t already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like they use a registered/signed for service, which yes still probably isn’t £60 which is fairly steep, it’s still not just a 60p stamp.

That’s to under promise and over deliver where they can.

Monzo aren’t very good at that. “Monzo is great for international students” except they can’t make transfers easily and the way they would expect, “make withdrawals from any ATM” except link ones.

2 Likes

More Q&A tomorrow morning

I have stopped asking the, questions. They never respond.

I’ve had lots of answers from them. Where are you posing your questions?

1 Like

On Twitter. I don’t know if you have seen but they do a QA session with Anne. They ask for questions but I never get a response.

What were you asking out of curiosity?