Starling Bank Discussion: Part 2

Yeah, this is the one thread (or at least one of very few) where talking about Monzo is off-topic

1 Like

Point noted. I’d argue that I’m irritated by Monzo seemingly standing still and not being as good as (I think) it could be. I’d be surprised if anyone on here criticising Monzo isn’t a fan that just wants them to be better.

1 Like

Well done medal is in the post :rofl:

1 Like

Just cut and paste this one by your name

:medal_sports:

1 Like

Can anyone apply ? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Yes! I am now decorated like a Russian general

2 Likes

Very Nice !!! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

This is very interesting.

I think if it was JP Morgan it could be a very interesting proposition for Starling

Not such a fan of it being Lloyds bank though, I’ve never been a fan.

2 Likes

I hope starling isn’t sold to another bank, I suspect they would lose customers over it as well. If Lloyds brought it, you’d have to wonder how long it would be before they tried to integrate the two and ergo the start of the problems

1 Like

Very much agree with that for Lloyds but for JPM/Chase they have no UK presence or UK system so I’m pretty sure it’d just be Starling as we know it but with the big name and much more money behind it.

1 Like

This is probably the best time to flog Starling. Business is looking good, broke a profit last month, customer numbers are good, but not too high to price out potential suitors.

All depends on Harold McPike though. He does seem very supportive of Anne, though - so as long as they’re still tight and he’s bought into her vision then all should be okay.

6 Likes

There was a time when the likes of Lloyd’s incorporating a challenger bank would have seemed sensible and attractive - particularly to the buyer, in terms of acquiring new features.

Not so now - Lloyd’s are ploughing a really positive furrow with its mobile banking offering with instant notifications and frequent updates. Other banks are working hard in that department too.

So I wonder quite what the benefit would be for a UK bank? Buying the customer base would be iffy, surely, with the backlash from hardcore mobile bankers opting for Monzo.

Maybe the business account business is more attractive.

Maybe the non retail banking products are of even greater value.

Fast forward - a non UK buyer ?

You’re just looking at the public side here. Lloyd’s backend infrastructure is probably still old, might also be mainframe based and incurring technical debt.

Acquiring Starling, investing in that platform to handle the full Lloyds product range, then moving customers over bit by bit could be the cure that they need.

(That’s not to say that I would necessarily welcome such as acquisition - but that’d be the logic, I think).

3 Likes

Quick polls:

If you are a Starling customer and it’s acquired by Lloyds, would you…
  • Do nothing (stay with Starling owned by Lloyds)
  • See how it pans out
  • CASS away immediately

0 voters

If you are a Starling customer and it’s acquired by JP Morgan, would you…
  • Do nothing (stay with Starling owned by JPM)
  • See how it pans out
  • CASS away immediately

0 voters

Would an acquisition by good for Starling?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Would an acquisition by good for Starling’s customers?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

When anyone says this, it always reminds me of this tweet:

4 Likes

And maybe offer counter services to Starling customers.

2 Likes

Oh god I hope Starling isn’t bought. Forget the tech, who wants Starling run by old men in grey suits??

2 Likes

I wonder if you’d notice the difference.

2 Likes

And now I’ve seen my typo I can’t unsee it. And I’m scared to fix it in case it resets the poll.

I’ll by better next time.

2 Likes