✨ Spring cleaning: making it easier to manage your account & see Pots payments

You add something so you can use it when you add other new things later! :grinning::pray:

1 Like

Absolutely, but, this paves the way for a lot of new things to come, and with 5 million users, these things need to be rolled out, tested, resolved and then built upon.

Can’t have payments from pots, without a pot feed. Can’t have a pot feed without splitting it. Splitting it is going to show up previous transactions that are “obscure”

This is the pre-work to the main event, to the things that everyone wants, which is full payments from pots.

Until then, this is what we’ve got, and what the long term is.

4 Likes

Perfect. No need to change anything then :wink:

I’ve also turned this feature back off in labs.

Right now it serves no purpose other than a list of inbound / outbound transfers with no rich information. Whether that be notes from the main feed as I’ve previously said or information regarding which bill it’s been moved because of.

As said above. It adds nothing extra in terms of UX.

3 Likes

Do we know why the Android app calls the main account Current Account but the iOS app calls it Personal Account? Or does the wording change depending on whether someone also has a joint account or not?

1 Like

This criticism seems to be coming at it solely from the perspective of automated outgoing transactions from bills pots.

However pot transactions named after the immediate source/destination (current account) makes sense from a wider perspective that also encompasses manual transfers between current account and pots (and perhaps future possibility of alternative sources and destinations).

Perhaps for special cases (such as automated withdrawals from bill pots) it would be beneficial to have subtext under the transactions in the pot feed referencing the special case. For example automated withdrawals from bill pots could reference in subtext the bill the withdrawal is destined for.

2 Likes

I switched off new “Split Drawers” functionality :unamused:
Current feed is more simple and clear :blush:

By not existing?

1 Like

Did pot history ever make it to iOS?

Yes it did. It was a blue button under the pot card. It’s gone if you switch on the drawers and replaced by the Feed

1 Like

Ahh ok, thanks :+1: . Same as Andriod then.

I just wondered if this was a possible cause for people not liking it.

I guess as it’s moved to a dedicated feed it’s front and centre and therefore appears not to be telling you much. Perhaps that’s cause. I reckon in time it will get richer in what it displays.

1 Like

It’s current account on iOS for me

1 Like

Never included interest payments in the history. The new approach has a single unified feed that includes interest payments.

I would say having everything in a single unified feed is the primary immediate benefit of the new approach

2 Likes

I found a old screenshot that shows this. I didn’t realise this was there before and I quite like it.

So I really really like this.

Why? Glad you ask!

• It’s an excellent foundation for future changes. We’ve seen from the survey that @Revels posted that we might get bills payments directly from pots. That’s an excellent move to separate bills and spending

• Aesthetically, it’s an excellent improvement. The blue buttons aren’t great, and this is a great platform to make some important changes.

• It sorts out the green/black debit/credit problem that was doing my head in.

• Interest payments are now in the right place.

That’s not to say that there aren’t improvements to be made. As I say, this is very much a foundational piece, but I’d like:

• On notes-gate my preferred solution is different. I think when you make a pots transfer you should be prompted for a note (like a reference for external transfers). If you fill that in then it should appear in the notes field for both the main account and the pot. But then I’d like to be able to amend the notes on each side of the transaction separately.

• I think the time has come to be able to give what’s called the “current account” a name and an image like Pots. It still doesn’t feel right to me that the image used is the one for the whole Monzo app.

• I look forward to a masterfeed. I think that makes much more sense now.

• I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with reveal PIN number and freeze card. I wonder if tapping on or around the card solution a bit like Curve’s solution might work?

• On connected cards, it seems like a very easy step to put the Account blue button’s contents in a Manage tab.

I’ve raised this before, but just to flag it again, I’m very much down for directly paying bills from pots. But my overdraft needs to apply equally to my bills pot as well as my “current account” - if it doesn’t, I’ll end up moving my bills back to my main account and it’ll be a retrograde step.

Anyway, top work - it’s definitely staying on for me. I think it’s an excellent foundation for the future and makes me excited for what’s next.

9 Likes

This is so important. It’s punishing people for being organised and using Monzo as they advise.

It’s also halfway there the other way because you can earn interest on all money across pots if you have Plus/Premium

4 Likes

If we’re talking ideals for pots now that we have a dedicated audit trail for each of them then I may like to take things a step further than that.

• Notes: Having turned on the new functionality I can now confirm that I would ideally like some separation between the notes in the main account and those in the pots.
    For instance, I want to see what I withdrew the money for on the pot side but have no interest in that on the account side. When it comes to bills pots, I have no interest in any automatic notes anywhere.

• Pot abstraction: This is the big one!
    Pots are currently treated as mini accounts beside the main account. I’d like to stop that, if I could, and treat them more as a segregated balance that is just a part of the main balance. That has implications for the overdraft (in line with Peter’s post) but I’m not interested in that.
    With Pots being nothing more than a ring fenced number and the main balance being king, as it were, that opens up the possibility for taking pots into negative values. Do that and Monzo becomes instantly compatible with the way I’ve run my finances for the last 20 years. I always maintain a positive budget account balance but some of my individual pots are negative as I “borrow” money from my budget for specific spending.
    At the moment I maintain an account outside of Monzo to do this - one account with balance but split into pseudo-pots in my accounting app. Being able to do this natively with actual pots would be brilliant.

• Pay from Pot: Coupled with the above, paying from a pot with the physical card without the need for a transfer would give me everything I want.
    Paying with my external budget account debit card means I can map any transaction onto any of my pseudo-pots within the account since they’re just numbers in an app. Again, doing it “for real” in my bank app would be perfect.

I’m sure there’s more that I’d use if we had it, but it’s negative pots that have always held me back from a full budget implementation here.

Sure, I could achieve this with Monzo right now as I have elsewhere. I could overlay an external structure on a single pot, but there’s no compulsive reason to do so. I can just as easily work elsewhere and earn some interest while I’m at it.

Clearly I’m not asking for any of this now but highlighting some of the ways I work can’t do any harm in terms of possibly influencing future plans :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Edit: As a process modification, I’m contemplating the ‘Easy bank transfer’ implementation as a way of running my budget account remotely from Monzo but that re-introduces the need to spend in place and transfer money from another. I can do but I’d rather not have to so we’ll see where I end up.

8 Likes

I’m right with you on this one! This would work much better for my way of doing things too. I also think this approach would go a long way towards filling the gap Simple has left in the US, and would make pots a much more inviting and accessible budgeting tool for those refugees especially.

I think it simultaneously solves @Peter_G’s issue with the overdraft if it gets reworked to accommodate pots working in this way.

4 Likes

This is essential, I think. It’s also pretty similar to how I understand Simple (RIP) used to work.

If Monzo could sort this out then there’s a lot of really useful applications. It has to be the future, surely?

(I think a few folk mentioned that they really need the current functionality - and then someone clever suggested having spending pots that would be abstracted as you suggest, and savings pots that would not be. Best of both worlds?)

5 Likes