Spotify vs Apple Music

I’m a Spotify user at present. I’ve tried to switch to Apple Music twice in the past but never last more than a month or two.

Why? Playlists. I like making them and it’s easier to do in Spotify, and Spotify has playlist folders to keep them all organised. Apple is WAY behind on this front.

I’ll check out Apple Music again I’m sure, but I’m one of those Apple users who rarely uses the default app for anything…

Used to use Deezer, which I actually quite liked… however switched to Apple Music.

Siri integration is great when Driving “Hey Siri… play some AC/DC”, no having to setup a play list or anything.

Plus… one less app on the phone!

This is undeniably the one thing I wish Spotify had…

Its a shame my car doesn’t have CarPlay or whatever it is where you can go through your Spotify on screen, so I usually just end up playing ALL of my saved songs and flicking through.

I’ve been umming and awing over Spotify for months now, I keep flicking from my Google Play family subscription to Spotify (free) and I really can’t decide :joy: YouTube Music is also very awesome, casting audio-only YT content, which isn’t available on Spotify or GPM, is fantastic :sunglasses:

Think I’ve had GPM family since 2016 and the single-user version for even longer, it’s fantastic, the app is nice but not perfect. The ability to upload songs is a big deal, I’ve got ~1000 of my own tracks up in the cloud and casting them is seamless :grin:

Spotify looks nicer but I’ve not gotten fully used to the navigation (yet). I can’t believe how much I miss crossfade when I go back to GPM :eyes: If you could crossfade whilst casting to the Home Max (and other cast enabled speakers) then I might be completely sold on the idea of Spotify. But then I’ll have the hassle of manually moving hundreds of playlists over :grimacing: (or paying for a service which automates it).

2 Likes

AdBlockers or the iCab browser are your friend here – I forget that YouTube has adverts until I read a thread like this. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I like the idea of using YouTube music but I’m on a student Spotify plan for £5pm… Doesn’t look like YT offer a Student plan in the UK annoyingly

1 Like

Apple Music for me. I’ve got a pretty big existing library of music in iTunes from back in iPod days, and the ability of AM to make this library available to all my devices is awesome! iTunes could definitely do with an update though. I’d love the ability to handoff whatever I’m listening to between phone and laptop (like Spotify does).

My wife has Spotify, and loves it. The playlists seem to be it’s strong suit.

AM feels to me more album-centric, and Spotify more playlist-centric.

1 Like

Just to chime in again,

I tend to do a lot of work on my laptop - masters eh? :sleepy:

And I just cannot STAND iTunes and I use a Mac - it feels so clunky and horrible, whereas the Spotify App for me is perfect, its seamless from phone to laptop - another “win” in the Spotify column for me.

1 Like

Spotify for me. Student discount and get Headspace app full subscription for £4.99.

Spotify all the way, mainly because it’s always had extremely robust cross platform support. AM has made big strides in this area recently but the horse has already bolted for me.

And now that I’m used to it, I would seriously miss all the custom playlists. They do a great job at curating music.

Did consider switching to YT music but bloody Google loves to treat G Suite accounts as second class users so no support for family plans.

But surely if you moved to stuck with Deezer/moved to Spotify and delete the Apple Music app, you have the same amount of apps? :wink: Point taken on Siri though :slight_smile:

AM for me got the family subscription also a few years back added my cd’s to the library :joy:.
Never tried Spotify and personally don’t care about other people’s playlists I just about create my own and never share as I am selfish :joy::joy::joy:

AM for me. I’ve had it since it came out and did originally use Spotify switched to AM as family have the family plan for it. I prefer the layout of the UI just wish it had dark mode.

Apple Music used by all 4 of us on phone in car and through Sonos

For proper HiFi listening Qobuz sublime and yes you can tell the difference if HiFi good enough (££££)

2 Likes

Apple Music here, but I’m fairly well baked into the Apple ecosystem anyway, so it works on all of my devices and is pretty good at recommending things to listen to.

I have a myriad of smart playlists in iTunes, built up over the past decade or so. They work quite well in AM, in fairness. I have a HomePod as well, which really, really needs Apple Music and doesn’t work with anything else unless you airplay it.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Apple Music since launch, and I’ve never tried Spotify. Is there an easy way to transfer my playlists from AM to S? I tried one paid service a few years ago to do the transfer but it missed a lot of tracks so I gave up.

2 Likes

I’ve tried to use Spotify but I find the UI too much like someone has just taken a machine gun and fired songs and playlists everywhere.

For me Apple Music’s UI just fits better for how I like to view music :man_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

When I transferred my music I used this it’s free and easy https://www.tunemymusic.com/

I get free headspace subscription with student Spotify :heart:. If I didn’t have that my mental health would be horrific. Soo much cheaper this way.

3 Likes

I use Spotify premium I like that can used on different devices. Also good on our steaming bose speaker.

1 Like