Spend or Save?

well I have a direct debit with about 25% of my net pay going straight to a stocks and shares ISA. another 15% is normally left at the end of the month which goes in to a cash ISA, and I have about £200 a month that gets split in to various pots for annual expense such as holidays, amazon prime and professional membership fees.

1 Like

I know some people around retirement age and they have a lot of money but they live like they are in the dark ages, you’d think they were struggling.They are so focused on saving every penny. They don’t use their money for enjoyment or a more functional lifestyle (the best way to describe it is their life is a time warp back to the 80’s / 90’s)

They’ve always been in the save mindset, but at some point in your life a better balance has to be found, otherwise who are you saving for? :thinking:

1 Like

Also going to be a shock to a lot of people when they are 65 and realise they still have to work because they have no savings or investments…

6 Likes

You do realise the 80s and 90s weren’t the dark ages don’t you? They had running water and electricity even all the way back then

4 Likes

Good point :sweat_smile: , Regardless of the year hopefully my point still makes sense

While some of those people may have fabulous wealth, the likelihood is that their income has been drastically reduced, and if you’ve had a saving mindset all of your life :man_shrugging:

They may also have come to the point of view that happiness isn’t correlated with spending. In fact, if they have a savings mindset, it may even be inversely correlated.

1 Like

They had Kajagoogoo as well :scream:

1 Like

You’re right, it was the dark ages

1 Like

I always thought they were a bit too shy.

3 Likes

I like the idea of the “pre pay day sweep”, but I actually do it the other way around (I’ve mentioned this before).

I know what my DD’s add up to, I can budget for food and anything extra that month, and then as soon as I get paid, I move what is left, into a savings account.

I’ve also changed all DD’s to the 1st of the month, so from the 2nd, my account will have enough money for food and “extras”.

The psychology of having to dip into savings if I want something, usually persuades me it’s not important!

Whereas if you just sweep it at the end of the month, you may have already spent money you could probably have saved.

8 Likes

Something id like to do as well just not got in to the right mind set of doing if that way yet!

I’ve found that as long as I give myself a reasonable amount of “extras”, it works.

If you constantly have to dip into savings because you’ve underestimated how much you’ll spend, you end up losing trust in the system!

2 Likes

Be interested to know just how they would describe their lives, though…

1 Like

Reminiscing about 80s interest rates?

Steady on, I lived in Aldershot - I can’t claim all that :flushed:

2 Likes

Yes, this is why my money doesn’t get locked away until the end, just before the next payday.

When it goes into my savings account, I want it gone for good until it’s used for a much bigger purchase.

I don’t want to lock it away on the very first day after payday, and then end up in a situation where I realise there’s something smaller that I want to buy and I need to withdraw the funds again.

I like the savings account to feel forbidden, only for emergencies, and if I had to dip in more regularly I’d soon treat it as an ordinary account.

There’s a lot to be said for the psychology of locking the money out of reach.

Haha who knows!? I might withdraw all my money in 1 penny’s and be burried with a huge treasure chest.

2 Likes

Jeez that would stink ! Hate the stink of copper !

3 Likes

Best to take it down to " coinstar " in Asda, you can exchange all your coins for notes

1 Like

And regrettably let them keep 10% of it for the privilege :flushed:

4 Likes