SPECULATION - We're getting close - what's in the new Plus? šŸ‘€

I think weā€™re very spoiled in this country by the concept of free banking that isnā€™t really. Me as much as anyone else. These services cost money to provide and there is no right for anyone to get them for free.

Itā€™ll be a brave company that tries to go it alone and break that model and Iā€™m not sure that itā€™s manageable at the moment but Iā€™ll never dismiss anyone for daring to charge for something that costs for them to support.

I think the word ā€˜basicā€™ is overused too. That sort of assessment is very much in the eye of the beholder.

8 Likes

Monzo is a bank but also a tech company. Weā€™ve had this discussion before during the original Plus and - whether we like or not - Monzoā€™s business model at the moment does include a fee for paying in cash. It may be that that becomes ā€œfreeā€ as part of a premium package, but youā€™re still paying for it somewhere.

Ultimately we all have to weigh up our choices as consumers. If youā€™re currently a Monzo customer then presumably the fee for paying in cash doesnā€™t mean that you wonā€™t bank with them. Similarly, if that fee is absorbed into a monthly payment is that fundamentally different?

3 Likes

Personally, Iā€™d rather that banking wasnā€™t ā€œfreeā€. Itā€™s actually regressive at the moment, with hidden fees and charges all over the place, which actually hit the poorest hardest. And banks like Monzo and Starling - with much cheaper cost bases - canā€™t really compete on cost.

But thatā€™s a conversation for another thread!

4 Likes

Savings accounts from Monzo ?!
I had a lot of third party savings accounts in Monzo app last yearā€¦ now Shawbrook only. Maybe Monzo will launch their own savings accounts soon?

Does nobody want to keep all this as a surprise for when itā€™s announced?

Letā€™s find out!

New Plus: do we want to speculate or to have a big surprise?

• I wanna know now
  • Iā€™m all in for the surprise
  • Iā€™d like to know the broad details - but with something unexpected thrown in

0 voters

I actually disagree with this and I think youā€™re underestimating greed too. Iā€™m more than happy to pay for software that enhances as my life and is a breeze to use.

They key to being successful here is in implementation and human interface design. Iā€™ll pay for the same feature that works better than a free version might elsewhere, for example with N26 charging for additional spaces; I saw value in that. Even though other banks have the ā€œsame featureā€, they implemented it differently, and in my opinion is not as good.

Weā€™ve also seen in other industries, that if a company starts charging for something that used to be free, and people pay for it, others will follow suit and start charging for it too. This is very prevalent in the gaming industry, and I donā€™t see why it wouldnā€™t be the same in fintech, or banking in general.

I mean, if you want to be surprised you could just not read the thread?

Itā€™s still going to be a surprise, all this is speculation :grin:

4 Likes

Some people are in for a big shock

2 Likes

Youā€™re misunderstanding the point of my statement. Iā€™m saying itā€™s only a matter of time before another business compiled the feature and improves it. Itā€™s the same with literally everything you buy. Iā€™d someone offers you something you want where you can get better value for your money and more benefits you switch. Take Starling, I already have friends who switched based solely on the unlimited withdrawal.

You mention because the UI is good and
as you said you would be happy to pay for it. What if another company does it better, youā€™d ask be happy to pay for that instead? This goes back to what I said, if Monzo build their business on software over the typical business model, theyā€™re asking for a competitor coming along and doing things better and cheaper.

2 Likes

Will it be called Plus or something else? Have Monzo said?

If another company builds it better, Iā€™d of course switch. Thatā€™s incentive for Monzo to keep innovating though. Copying and improving an entire ecosystem experience is no easy feat.

1 Like

I canā€™t see that it matters what itā€™s going to be called. But then, I personally canā€™t see the benefit in the speculation, either.

Itā€™ll be what it is, and either be something I value, and am willing to pay for, or it will be something I can safely ignore. I suspect it will be the latter.

Iā€™m betting on it being called Monzo [to be revealed].

I used to have a taste card with my Natwest paid account, Iā€™d forgotten all about that!

3 Likes

You donā€™t work in marketing, Dan, do you? :joy:

What makes you think that? :thinking:

2 Likes

This is a speculation thread. It matters to me. More than anything else :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Itā€™s actually [redacted] monzo , as opposed to monzo [redacted]

2 Likes

Iā€™m preparing to be underwhelmed to be fair, although Iā€™m one of those whoā€™s never really seen the point in having paid perks on my accounts however if they want to pay my Netflix or Amazon for me I wonā€™t complain :thinking:

4 Likes