Sky Glass and Sky Stream

So I really like Sky Glass now I’ve set one up and played with it. I’d maybe even go as far as to say that I love it.

It looks great. It sounds great. The software is great. It’s a lovely little package.

The only thing it’s missing for me to replace my own tv with one is a proper low latency gaming mode. Once it gets that (which should be doable via a software update) I’m sold.

The Sky Forum would beg to differ! Crashes, reboots, very stuttery fast forward/rewind. Also subtitles are very hit and miss (as in getting them at all). Granted, it’s mainly people having problems that post, but it still sounds rather like a beta product.

3 Likes

Yeah the Stream is a bit flaky as well, I have to pull power too often to reboot it. I have had it freeze or get borked fast forwarding through ads a lot, that part is very very first gen and stuttery as they try to splice dynamic video ads into rewatch programs and I am on FTTP with sky.

I have had enough audio bugs and issues that I basically have to use stereo mode. If you have the tv it will use built in but who knows if you go to use an external system as, for us, its very broken.

On the plus the picture quality is good, better than satellite but the HDR is rare and lack luster as its HLG.
The remote is okay but I still think its crazy they didnt add a tv guide button which would be massive for people who are used to satellite sky. Its the first thing the older typical sky users have noticed when I showed it to them and its a bit of a fail as its one of the most used buttons and one where you notice the lettering worn down.

The app approach is really really annoying as well, I dont dislike apps but the fact that unless its a sky channel all the rest of the replay/restart functions trigger a slow app launch and each app can have varying quality. I would have far preferred if the replay was built in with the ability to use the app for older scheduled programs.

Right now we will be getting rid of stream unless sky effectively give it to us for free (we saved £5 a month and got sky tv for the same price as broadband + netflix currently on our deal) again as its rarely used as the apple tv we have is far easier to use and faster.

4 Likes

Older software perhaps? This updated to the new entertainment OS 1.2 as soon as the Ethernet was plugged in, which is only a couple of months old I believe.

Also, those issues are probably more tied to Sky’s streaming tv service rather than the TVs own firmware, which are distinct, I think.

This one has the 31 day Sky tv subscription just to have a play with, and in my brief play didn’t encounter any of those issues. But the Sky tv service isn’t staying. Sky just wouldn’t let you buy the TV without subscribing.

No crashes and reboots so far! It’s my moms tv and I’ll no doubt be the first port of call should any of those happen, so I’ll report back if there any issues later. But setting it up for her and having a play, I’m very impressed for the price.

Possibly, and many of the complaints relate to the Sky Stream box rather than Glass. I understood that the software was pretty much the same, though.

I was offered Stream when I rang up to haggle over my Sky Q, but it was only £5 less than Sky Q and I didn’t think it was worth the hassle of moving to something less familiar.

1 Like

They auto update themselves, there certainly has been issues on the Stream as I experience too often when I do decide to use it sadly.
I hoped the audio issues would be fixed but I think that DOA, maybe the 2nd gen of each will be better.

The Glass tv isnt bad but its just a TCL tv I think but there it also wasnt exactly brilliant for the price either. The TCL will be more powerful than the stream at least.

1 Like

Had a go of watching the Lazarus Project on the Stream tonight and the crackling of audio still keeps happening sadly.
I have not rebooted it yet manually but that can fix it but its disappointing sky have never got this fixed.

1 Like

I’m also a sky stream user and I think you’ve summed it up pretty fairly.

My parents were keen to get stream but I just can’t recommend it to them. It’s too flaky.

1 Like

Yep, I have to agree. We have the Sky Glass 55" plus a Stream Puck. The service is remarkably poor on both. Crashes, rubbish fast forward and rewind. Inconsistency across apps. My5 still not working. Remote won’t turn on TV 2, 3 or 4 times a week. Programmes on playlist aren’t available until a couple of hours after they were ‘live’ - sometimes not until the next day. And the picture quality may be good, but many programmes via apps are not in UHD. The only plus is that it’s cheaper than the Sky Q system that we previously had.

3 Likes

I got Stream when it launched last year (October?) and now have 3 pucks.

Since then, it’s been almost fault free. Picture quality @ 4K is very good (ITVX had launching issues at first - but that wasn’t Sky’s fault)

It will introduce lip-sync on random programs, probably once every 2-3 months, and a quick visit to Settings/Audio/Delay sorts that out - but - here’s where my main setup differs from most - I’m using an Optical audio link from the TV (fixed audio output, not variable controlled by the TV remote control) into an external 5.1 processor. The Sky remote controls the TV for on/off, the 5.1 processor for audio up/down/mute and everything else is Sky related. The other 2 pucks connect directly to a TV via HDMI and I get no problems with those.

Based on my positive experience, I’m baffled by the reports of what appear to be critical issues!

No I don’t work for Sky :wink:

1 Like

Mom’s Sky glass experience has so far been faultless too.

To the point she’s considering keeping the ultimate tv service in place of Now TV and Netflix. It’s more expensive but the difference to her has been huge.

I think she’ll miss Apple TV’s up next integration with apps though. She keeps asking where she can find that on sky glass because she can never remember what episode of game of thrones she’s on.

But I’ve been and had another play with, and now I’ve ordered one for my place too to replace an aging Loewe. The sound is superb with bass boost turned on, the picture is fantastic, particularly with the new vivid mode enabled. The hardware design and engineering is good. It looks nice, in contrast to the vast majority of other TVs, even at the expensive range, which look and feel cheap and disposable. I like the environmental claims too. I’m pretty much sold for servicing the purpose of a display and speaker for an Apple TV 4K.

I imagine for those deeply invested in Sky’s tv services, it’s a no brainier tv, unless you’re one of, I suspect, the vocal minority suffering with issues. But maybe that’s part of why I’m so impressed with it too. I was expecting the experience to be dreadful and full of problems, but there haven’t been any. It’s been the contrary.

1 Like

See thats the bit that I wonder, if you had a better quality tv with a stream I fear the picture would be better as the TV itself isnt that great.
I noticed the Stream picture quality was good but that’s in comparison to the poorer satellite picture quality not better sources and HLG is kinda crap.

I am surprised the gen2 isnt out yet with VRR/120Hz and some actual useful stuff for gaming (and a 4th HDMI port…) but sky had a few problems flogging the glass to consumers and who knows if they will continue, if sales are bad sky just wont 2nd gen it.

When I read about it before the quality of the tv actually put me off for the price and now having had repeated problems with the stream on sky fttp (its even hard wired) it really puts me off recommending to my parents or anyone else.

I know another with the glass so I will see how he has got on with it but the audio issues the stream has are bad and fast forward/rewind are glitchy enough to be annoying sadly.

I do expect the gen 2 (if they make it) of each to fix a lot of this, sky gen 1 devices have always had some crazy issues.

*presses and holds buttons 1 and 3 on the remote to repair it*

(again)

2 Likes

Bar a couple of odd freezes and an issue with one of my mesh routers seemingly not letting stuff use the internet. The Stream puck has been one of the few new things this year I purchased that hasn’t been unending issues. I only have a 1080p TV, although it is a top end old Sony one, so picture quality is perfect.

Before they did the 1.2 update I did have way more issues and an annoying inability to automatically switch the input to the Sky Stream seems to have returned recently though…

So I went to use the Sky Stream after not touching it for 3 weeks or so (left turned on/standby) and it was seriously borked and sent my tv into fits of switching back and forward through HDMI.
I checked the HDMI cable and it was well seated, ended up having to hard reboot it to get it working again.
So many times I go to use it and its borked in some way.

So, little bit of news from Sky.

The cuts will come mainly from its army of workers that install equipment in households, with the number employed expected to be reduced by about a quarter, as more consumers make the shift to plug-and-go internet-based products such as Sky Stream and the Sky Glass smart TV.

Sky estimates that about three-quarters of new products being taken are internet-based, reducing the need for installers.

This is a surprise to absolutely nobody. Who wants a sweepstake on when it goes to 50%?

Just checking with Sky - looks like they’re currently doing a 1 month free intro for Sky Stream offer at the moment.

https://www.sky.com/glass/buy/stream/tv-packs?irct=PHP-Stream-Buy

First month free on both the 18 months and rolling 1 month contracts.

Looks like they’re also putting their prices up in April by £2 a month on both contracts.

Lloyds offering £50 cashback after 2nd direct debit takes, includes Sky Glass according to the terms.

Just a pity my puck is so unreliable.

1 Like