Should Pots balances be counted for overdraft fee calculations?

You get a few, can’t remember how many but between that and looking at the app there is no way you can miss it

Also it’s when the payments that take you under the buffer clear. That’s normally 2 days for the shops here (I have it down to a fine art :yum:)

4 Likes

Call me stupid, but I prefer to go negative when I am nearing the end of a salary cycle even if I have money in other pots. I think it’s mentally good to understand that I overspent (by exactly how much) and that I will need to be a little more frugal next month (by exactly how much).

Monzo allows this, great…but…it comes at a cost of 50p per day.

I know there are reasons that Monzo wants pots to be “seperate”, makes sense for future plans. That said, I would appreciate it if we were allowed a single pot you could assign to be the one that will counter any negative balances and effectively act as a self granted overdraft. I would put in say £500, and if my balance went negative (but above -£500), this balance would cover it so I’m not charged 50p per day. If I did go below -£500 and the Monzo granted OD was £1000, then I would incur charges.

This could end up costing Monzo a lot of money in OD fees - so I could see why there would be hesitation to allow it, but it just feels long-winded to keep moving money in and out of pots.

I remember having long, protracted discussions on here about this when ODs first came out.

I doubt it’ll happen. If you need it, I believe Starling offer this.

2 Likes

Initially I thought you were asking for a pot that would “auto-withdraw” back into your main account to cover any deficit which i’d dislike (that’s what I get for skim reading :smiley: )

I agree though. I budget every month down to £0 and there may be a rare occurrence that I might go negative even though I’ve got enough money spread across pots (all 30 of them :neutral_face:) to cover it.

As long as the pot is an instant access one I think this is a good idea. However, at the moment I would get the notification and instantly cover the amount and make note of my expense that has tipped me over. If this was regularly happening then I’ve budgeted wrong somewhere.

1 Like

Yes, my thought is it to be just a single, no interest pot. And it is precisely because I am so poor at keeping within my budget and how varied my spending is month to month that I go negative often a few days before my next pay.

1 Like

Just saw this bit in changes:
“- We don’t include any money you have in Pots when we calculate how much you’re overdrawn by, so you can still go overdrawn with money in your Pots”

This is totally unfair.
I know this is how traditional banks do it, but it’s unfair.

If I owe you £100 and you also owe me £100, none of us should pay the other interest. At best, maybe a really low lombard interest rate, but not 34% (usura rates).

I don’t know why Monzo thought this was a good idea.

Monzo have never counted pots when working out your balance. Ever.

5 Likes

That’s nothing new, it has always been the case unless you were on the last version of Plus.

Not all “other” banks have pots and it’s perfectly acceptable too. The whole premise of pots is that the money is segregated from your main balance. Even more so if it is a savings pot with a different provider.

6 Likes

The way i understand it is if you have £100 in pots and you go overdraft £100 at the same time, Monzo will charge you 34% interest on the full £100 overdraft.

You can have a billion in pots, if your main account goes overdrawn, it’s overdrawn. That’s how it is.

4 Likes

If you’re rich and have colleteral you can actually get lombard (very low interest) rates from high street banks.

Why can’t Monzo do the same with pots?

This is just a basic algorithmical if-then and add/subtract operation.

I think you’re misunderstanding what pots are intended for.

Either way, Monzo alert you if you’re going to go overdrawn, and again when you do. You have plenty of time to take money out of your pot to cover it and avoid charges :slight_smile:

There are even some guys on here working on having a “overdraft buffer pot” - worth searching for and keeping an eye on if it interests you.

3 Likes

True, but it’s needless. Just extra work that Monzo wants me to do which they could just calculate themselves.

With my normal bank account I sometimes go overdraft for a few days because of bills. True, I can dip into savings for a short time, but I don’t like that, it’s very inconvenient.

Starling does offset your overdrawn balance against your savings, which is pretty nice of them.

But unlike starling Monzo does not automatically pay interest on cash balances, mostly because Monzo ships your deposits in interest bearing accounts to be held in trust by a 3rd party, so they cannot use that money to lend to people for their overdrafts.

So more than likely they have to borrow the money from elsewhere to facilitate your overdraft which probably costs more to arrange than the money sat in your non interest earning accounts.

Starling does pay interest on your money in the main account, and Goals (Pots) but not when it’s offsetting an overdraft on the main balance. But then you’re not charged debit balance on that amount either.

I’ve used offsetting since Intelligent Finance arrived in 2000. I think it’s more innovative, and fairer.

1 Like

I don’t use pots and I don’t use overdraft, so I wasn’t aware of this. Now that it’s being added to terms and conditions, it seems good to bring it up again.

This seems ethically dubious, as proven by the fact that other banks do the same :slight_smile:

It’s straight from a Dickens novel: with your left hand, encourage users to save. With your right hand, nudge them into debt slavery when they try to save too much. You know people will make mistakes managing pots, and directly profit from that. That just seems wrong. Other banks might even optimise the UX with AI to maximise these mistakes.

I don’t know what the legal constraints are, but I’d consider two options:

1. Freeze some of the pot(s) balance to offset the overdraft
  2. Auto withdraw from pots to prevent overdraft (explicit opt-out to disable this behaviour)
2 Likes

If you have a savings account with Santander and a current account with Santander and you go overdrawn on your current account, guess what happens.

It’s your responsibility to manage your money, and it’s nearly always cheaper to pay off debts (including overdrafts) before saving money.

3 Likes

With other providers the current and savings account are separate products.

The Monzo account is a single product and standard pots still remain in the account.

Monzo is just being predatory with these rules but they obviously make money from it so it’s not going to change.

1 Like

Complete :cow::poop: If they were then they wouldn’t send out notifications

If you put money in a pot then it’s because you want it separate from your spending money. Including it defeats the purpose.

This has been debated before so many times :woman_facepalming:

11 Likes

I understand your point, but you’re wrong. Monzo aren’t lending any money but are charging as if they are. The account has a positive balance yet charges are made. This isn’t consumer friendly at all. Not charging until you have an actual negative balance would be better than warning.

6 Likes