Shoppers face new £132 cap on tap-and-go card payments

I’ve never experienced this in the UK. Maybe because I use Apple Pay at least once a week?

I think this is currently up to individual card issuers at the moment. Some banks will want a chip+PIN transaction every so often, some won’t. It presumably depends on how confident they are in their fraud detection systems. I’ve never been forced to chip+PIN with my Monzo card, and I can’t remember the last time I used it that way. It seems that the new regulations are forcing a lowest common denominator approach to forcing chip+PIN transactions. :frowning_face:

Probably because they don’t attempt a CVM - ie the device is supporting it but the card reader doesn’t attempt it. If you attempt a transaction for more than 30£ it should use CDCVM.

Hmmm, had the same at Dishoom - and the bill was like £110, I assumed it was just mis-configured message. Does ApplePay support CVM, I thought all ApplePay transaction are CDCVM (and thus secure***)?

The EU. The card schemes (supported by their member banks) are opposed.

I expect a major change to contactless behaviour is needed. No one wants to return to the stone age of being forced to insert your card every five purchases. I expect the easiest way will be to have merchants re-interpret ‘withdrawal limit exceeded’ (which currently forces an insert) as ‘prompt for online PIN, and re-submit with online PIN’.

P.S. If anyone wants my reasoning:

• This doesn’t break any non-updated terminals (they’ll just prompt an insert as they would today) like a new decline response code might.
  • This doesn’t require any scripting or anything to change on the card side (just send everything online, and prompt for PIN every five uses - without an insert - based on the authorisation response).
  • This is the fastest, least friction way to implement this requirement.
  • The technical changes involved are pretty minor, relatively speaking.

That said, this is my idea, and as of now an original idea and speculation - I’ve seen nothing to suggest they’re actually considering this, though I hope they do.

6 Likes