✅ Scrap the Graph

But he has written many books on why powerpoint is bad so…

3 Likes

Tomato Tomato :man_shrugging:t2: - Must be the second coming of Newton

I genuinely don’t think i’ve seen a more blushing paragraph about someone in my life. Must be decent.

Hasn’t everyone? :thinking:

1 Like

That’s why I used an analogy. He did the equivalent for his field.

Would you really derail the thread to complain that New York Times and Bloomberg are making “the most over-the-top analogy evarrrr” when they described him as the “Leonardo da Vinci of data” or the “Galileo of graphics” because he wasn’t a ridiculously talented Renaissance polymath and didn’t make huge contributions to astronomy (if not the scientific method itself)?!

Back on topic…

Thanks for this. So it seems there won’t be any graphical replacement at all?

In that post, the official reasoning is “It’s not really serving the purpose it was designed for anymore”. I’m not really sure I follow.

Have they explained anywhere what this purpose was. The best I gleaned from this thread is that " it’s part of their overall design" and "Monzo knows best :wink: " but it seems they have backpedalled on that now.

I’m also confused what has changed so that it’s not useful “any more”.

It seems there are thousands of replies though so (lacking a tl;dr) I’ll have a browse to try and work out more about their original reasoning and that for removing it now so try and get a better idea of their motivations :slight_smile:

EDIT: didn’t want to post another new message but thanks for the two replies which help me to see what the original idea was and why it’s less relevant now.

There were a bunch of reasons. It also took up a lot of prime retail space to name another which then snowballed into wanting better structure to organise products and services since they’re expanding and so on… but that thread will explain it all.

Not everything needs to be supported by tonnes of reasoning, data and research. I believe they just wanted to give the whole app an overhaul, start fresh and tweak it from there. Again, you’ll see all the iterations when you read through the topic I gave you :slight_smile:

1 Like

The graph was used back in prepaid days, where it was more like a “load and go” model - so seeing a slowly declining graph made sense so you knew how much or how quickly your spends were going or had gone.

The problem is, as summary was developed, it didn’t really make sense when a salary or larger payment hit as you would see large spikes - not helpful for budgeting or managing your finances - some liked it as you could quickly scan back, but i think the search function fixes this.

As for the summary - the new “widget” Saying £x left for X days is a pull through from the core summary feature - this allows you to understand what you have left (it takes into account “committed spend” so is an accurate figure) and also gives you an idea how long left until next payday or budget refresh day.

Overall i think the graph was initially quite useful but other advancements to Monzo and what it provides made the data provided in the graph better in other places.

It should also be remembered that the graph was HEAVILY integrated into the App and how it functioned - hence the need for a complete redesign to get it gone.

5 Likes

This is now effectively done, with all new users being on the new navigation already, and existing users slowly being migrated over. In a short amount of time there won’t be anyone on the old nav anymore!

Therefore I think it’s safe to mark as done :white_check_mark:

8 Likes