Round-up style saving ... 'Coin Jar' šŸ’°

Fantastic! Count me in!

1 Like

And let us know your feedback here:

2 Likes

My first post so hello all, loving the Coin Jar feature.

Iā€™ve a suggestion for Coin Jar and Pots in general. Itā€™d be nice to be able to see all transactions in/out of each pot by simply tapping on the pot - or maybe alongside add/ withdraw/ settings could be ā€˜view recent transactionsā€™.

Currently you have to return to the Home tab and either search for Coin Jar (or whichever Pot you want to view) which pulls up the required information or scroll through all transactions, which obvisouly takes time.

Any thoughts?

8 Likes

Welcome

3 Likes

Well, thank you very much. I had not even thought of this for a minute :kissing:

Welcome to the forum! Great suggestion.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see some options for spending this coin jar - auto adding to another pot, or perhaps being encouraged to donate it to my favourite charity!

Sorry for taking so long to reply to this.

No, not really. Thereā€™s no easy way that I can find of looking at all transactions in a pot. When filtering on the transaction screen, that showed pot transactions from the perspective of the current account (I.e. Debits for pot credits). This is because Monzo is currently set up to be one app == one account. The tl;dr of my post is really that this needs to change.

When I make these suggestions Iā€™m usually thinking way into the future. The coin jar of todayā€™s interesting example but what about if/when we have other accounts hooked into the Monzo app? Itā€™d be nice (to me) to see a debit from my current account net off against a credit to my savings account. I was wondering out loud whether there might be an expansible model that could be used to address the pots question, and again lay the ground for the future.

Basically, I think the pots functionality is beginning to be (or should be!) asking some fundamental questions of the Monzo team. Is the one app = one account thing something you want to change? If so, how do you go about it? How do you differentiate from Monzo the account and Monzo the platform? How do you best integrate other accounts? Or do youā€¦ Etc etc

2 Likes

On every purchase transaction I would like the remainder of the amount rounded up to the nearest pound, to be transferred to my ā€œpotā€. I.e. I buy something for Ā£1.45, I would like 55p to be transferred to my savings. This feature is available on American bank accounts.

The good news is Monzo are now testing this feature, just create a Pot called Coin Jar & your change will be automatically rounded into it -

if you have any feedback about this feature, please share it here -

1 Like

Though to clarify it only works when your balance is above GBP 10.00

5 Likes

Nice!

Thanks

and on purchases over Ā£1?

5 Likes

Iā€™ve just spent 80p in a shop, and it didnā€™t transfer 20p to my pot. Whatā€™s going on?

This feature is broken!..

:kissing::wink:

Only for transactions over Ā£1 mate.

Balance should be more than Ā£10 and value of the transaction needs to be above a Ā£1 for this to trigger.

2 Likes

My spoiler didnā€™t work then :frowning:

I donā€™t click the spoilers. They get spoiled as soon as someone has clicked.

3 Likes

Coin jar is a great idea, the implementation seems a little off though.

Coin jar to the left of the current account sounded great, not just randomly in the mixer with other pots. :frowning:

Just having to create a pot named ā€˜Coin Jarā€™ seems like a strange one, surely you just want radio option in settings to turn on for coin jar? What if people previously had pots named coin jar, what if they create one now without knowing about the magic name? :frowning:

1 Like

I rather like the Easter Egg approach!

1 Like

I think ā€˜easter eggā€™ says it all when itā€™s a feature that removes money from your current account. This is taking money away from a place that people could be using to pay direct debits etc. it really should have a little more of a legit feel to it.

It also doesnā€™t activate straight away either, so at some point in the near future after creating it, you get a message saying your ā€˜coin jarā€™ is now active, oh OK?!

Going to ā€˜settingsā€™ on a Coin Jar also just shows it like any other pot.

I do think itā€™s a brilliant idea, Iā€™m using it, but I feel they havenā€™t gotten it quite right yet.

Just spoted the Coin Jar feature and set it up! Been hoping for something like this for a while :smile:

2 Likes