Revolut user very disappointed with Monzo

Makes sense. Thanks :slight_smile: Still, I donā€™t know the last time in the UK I needed to use the magstripe so would gladly have it disabled most the time if thatā€™s a risk.

A tab for months of spending would be good

1 Like

I agree a pin would be good

2 Likes

This is great feedback :heart_eyes: I should have got back to you soonerā€¦

anyway

that sounds good to me!

Monzo has this already :tada: itā€™s opt in & if you donā€™t have a data connection, Monzo is smart enough to check other indicators too (much smarter than your legacy bank anyway) -

Monzo disables Magstripe withdrawals by default but they can be temporarily enabled.

Some of the other community members have already followed up on this point but since you mentioned it -

Text from this blog post.

The magnetic stripe on the back of your card contains information about your card, including the long number on the front (your ā€˜Primary Account Numberā€™) and your card verification code (CVC). Because this isnā€™t encrypted, fraudsters can easily steal it by using ā€˜skimmersā€™ attached to legitimate ATMs or payment terminals and print it onto the magnetic stripe of a blank card to make a counterfeit.

This is an interesting one - am I right in thinking that youā€™re worried about card clash here? Users have requested a setting to disable contactless for this reason before, does Revolutā€™s work for this? Iā€™m not 100% sure that a setting thatā€™s controlled by the issuer would work for this - I genuinely donā€™t know.

same here :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think it is, the problem is the added friction & the fact that it could actually make the app less secure, if itā€™s relied upon to protect features within the app - funnily enough, this came up today in the developerā€™s Slack channel & Daniel (one of the Monzo team), pointed out that itā€™s the recovery process, if the user forgets their PIN, thatā€™s likely to be the weak spotā€¦

Even Iā€™m surprised that Monzoā€™s beating Amex in this area - thatā€™s great to hear!

Fair enoughā€¦itā€™s worth remembering that Monzo has a Holiday category that you can automatically assign your transactions to, to separate them from the rest of your spending too thoughā€¦[quote=ā€œmk1, post:16, topic:7427ā€]
Just want to give feedback to help.

Hope that helps clarify
[/quote]

As I said, this was great feedback, thanks for putting so much thought into it :raised_hands:

Iā€™m guessing youā€™re on Android :slight_smile: (iOS users have this feature) & itā€™s in the works for Android -

1 Like

To avoid card clash on contactless, youā€™d have to actually disable the contactless mode on the cards you donā€™t want to use. Itā€™s unlikely an app switch would do that - itā€™s more likely to simply deny the transaction when presented for authentication, and so useless for preventing card clash.

As a moderately paranoid user, I actually have an RFID shielded wallet - what Iā€™d love is a pocket on the outside of it that isnā€™t shielded so I can put the card I typically use for everyday transactions in there and just wave my wallet.

At least until my kerv gets hereā€¦ if it ever does.

2 Likes

Was it called Kerv when it was on Kickstarter?

I believe so.

Just been told mine will be shipped in the next 2 weeks. Iā€™m not holding my breath!

It looks like a similar thing to the bpay stuff from Barclays.
I used that for a time but their app was rubbish.

Hmmmm I canā€™t seem to find it on Kickstarter.

In any case let us know, if or when it ever arrives and your first
impressions of it. (After you have used it of course.)

Probably why?

Kerv ā€“ the worldā€™s first contactless payment ring is the subject of an intellectual property dispute and is currently unavailable.

1 Like

@mk1 There was discussion around the changing of the PIN in app somewhere and the reply from Monzo was that it wasnā€™t working in the best way.

When you change your PIN, it needs to be written to the chip. For this to happen, it needs to be entered into a physical device, connected to a network. So the workflow would be something like thisā€¦

Current PIN 1234
Change PIN in app to 4321
Enter card info Chip & PIN terminal
Enter 4321
PIN incorrect, try again
Enter 4321
PIN correct

Itā€™s not ideal, and would lead to confusion was the main takeaway from it I believe. Iā€™m not sure how Revolt have managed to get around this problem (assuming they have).

I cannot remember who or where this discssion was, but if anyone finds it feel free to connect the posts up.

2 Likes

Ok at least I now know why I couldnā€™t find it. :slight_smile:

Hey, sorry for the delay in my reply. Glad it was helpful. As I said, it is really a first impressions thing and I wouldnā€™t say that the title of this thread matches my thoughts - otherwise I wouldnā€™t bother sticking around :slight_smile:

Interesting about the location based security. I thought Iā€™d heard that but canā€™t find the option in the app.

Ah the contactless point is interesting. I only really use Revolut abroad so havenā€™t actually tested the card clash issue, I just saw the option and thought ā€œgreat ideaā€!.. but perhaps it is not as useful as I thought thenā€¦ (if the issue with card clash is the interference between two cards in close proximity whereas all this prevents is the authorisationā€¦ maybe I should test this! :slight_smile:

As far as beating AmEx, Iā€™m testing it as an experiment to get some insight. Weā€™ll see how it lives up. I must say that I hope to see some advances in the spend tracking in the future as itā€™s a bit limited right now. Main points here:

• be able to assign money given to/received from friends to a category - even if this means having to fudge it with cash withdrawals/top ups since I canā€™t do the money transfer through the app. But since top ups canā€™t be assigned, this breaks the whole workflow
  • custom categories. For example, Iā€™d like to have a category for a couple of hobbies to track them. I get that you probably want to discourage lots of fine grained categories as these can be harder to use, but some level of customisation would be great

interesting thanks, yeah Iā€™m pretty sure I didnā€™t have that issue with Revolut, I wonder how they solved it. Iā€™ll try to remember to check! I can understand that they would prefer to avoid that if seen as too confusing for some.

Glad to hear it :slight_smile:

Iā€™m not sure about the Android app but the optionā€™s here in the settings menu for iOS users :arrow_down:

Please do! Iā€™d be interested to hear how you get on.

Both are popular requests & Monzo are working on solutions to these problems, although it sounds like the teamā€™s struggled to agree on a version / alternative to custom categories so farā€¦

FYI, I tried this and indeed it does still clash - so not as important as I thought :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree with you that be cool

agree. Scrolling thru is a pain and will get worse when the current account history lasts a few years. Better to ditch material design and create something more user friendly, scrolling accross rather than down

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a Revolut and Monzo card. Monzo is playing catch up on two things for me (and perhaps this is just me and what I end up using the app for)

1. I donā€™t like in Monzo how you canā€™t top up in precise amounts. Instead it has to be on increments of ten.
  2. i can pay my bank account or other peopleā€™s bank account directly from the app on Revolut. Canā€™t do this in Monzo.

Otherwise so far so good

1 Like