Redesigning Spending

I’ve just found out Starling have already added some of the key categories we’ve been asking for, Gifts and Charity being the most important to me. So this sneak peak with only two new categories has just become even more disappointing to me :disappointed:

At least if we had a Gifts category but not a Charity category, charity donations could technically be classed as a gift, but currently with Monzo, there’s absolutely no way to categorise buying a round, food, or gift for someone; other than the General category, which isn’t a solution.

6 Likes

Hi Monzo :wave:t2:

Absolutely love your service, however I would really really LOVE IT if you could introduce a weekly spending breakdown as well as daily and monthly.

When I’m budgeting I find the best way to stay on track is to have a set budget that I want to spend each week and force myself not to go over that. Only knowing how much I’m spending on a daily/ monthly basis doesn’t hugely help me - so I end up having to still record my daily spends in my notebook.

Any chance you could introduce this feature in the near future? It would really be a lifesaver for me!

Thanks

2 Likes

A fix is coming :soon: :slight_smile:

More details here -

What about non-monthly recurring payments? Got a discount on Spotify and a newspaper subscription by paying annually, which is quite common.

Ideally the UX would be encouraging me to put a 12th of these annual costs aside each month.

4 Likes

Agreed, the Monzo categories are pretty limiting. I’ve sort of given up attempting to assign/keep track of spending via categories as they don’t have things like pets, gifts, internal transfers(to my savings account) etc and so a lot of my spending is now in the wrong category

6 Likes

Yeh, this is a nightmare :frowning: transfer £150 to another account… You have spent £150 today!

Uhh, no I haven’t?

2 Likes

Exactly, @hugo is there going to be work on categorising/sorting sending money to another account e.g savings account? It says you’ve spent x today when you haven’t, you’ve just moved it to another account?

A good example is you get paid, you want to move £500 to a savings account, so you transfer it to your legacy/savings account. However it now says “you’ve spent £500 today”, when actually you’ve not spent any of that money and have just moved it to a different account

2 Likes

Resolving this would be one of the most important fixes for me at the moment. Last month I received a large cash bonus and transferred it to another interest earning account. As a result, my spending report for last month is incorrect, and the pulse graph for this month suggests that I will spend the majority of my Monzo balance this month, presumably because it is based on my “spending” last month!

4 Likes

Its coming with the big Spending / Breakdown update :slight_smile:

That update is on the roadmap here & you can check out a preview of it here -

2 Likes

That’s one of the biggest things I like about Emma - they actually have an Internal category

3 Likes

I guess the new Finances category is Monzo’s equivalent -

1 Like

Do those finances transactions count towards today’s spending, though?

3 Likes

I don’t think we know yet.

Reoccurring payments to savings won’t show on your daily spend but a one off or manual one would. However you can mark a payment to be excluded from your monthly spend. Ie you buy a laptop or a plane ticket or some other such large rare payment you can remove it from your spending.

Nah - I consider Finances to be insurance, bank charges, arrangement fees etc

3 Likes

First time posting. On the topic of spending and categorisation, I noticed recently that when I pay money to someone having clicked through a link they sent through the app, Monzo always asks me how to categorise it. This seems sensible, but the categorisation never actually sticks for me - it just defaults to ‘general’.

I also hope there will also be a ‘saving’ category at some point which isn’t reflected in spending totals, and that reimbursements from friends will net off spending totals to reflect actual spend.

Sorry if some or all of this has been covered, tried to find and failed, feel free to move to different thread.

1 Like

Welcome to the community :wave:
If you look at the video linked in the opening post, you will see Monzo’s plans for the Spending tab.
If I remember correctly, new categories will be added as well.

I did watch it, but maybe I missed the bit about any split payments categorisation bug (as opposed to enhancement plan) as referred to in my first paragraph. Any light to shed on that?

Realise I did miss the spending bit (mea culpa).

I’m not sure about that, but I’m quite certain that they will work on this at some point.