Recurring Orders - what does this frequency mean to you?

“Make this a scheduled order” suggests that your order will not be delivered immediately, but will instead be scheduled.

Their phrasing would not lead me to think that they were creating a second order for a scheduled delivery in addition to the first.

3 Likes

I went with option 3.

One of only three who have, so far.

1 Like

That’s precisely where I misinterpreted I think - I took it to mean a pre-scheduled order for that date - and I would suspect that without a great level of scrutiny, most people would expect a recurring order to work in that way.

I feel like in the “hierarchy” of ways you want to order something, the “Order some now, then on this date, then on a repeated schedule” is probably low on the list.

What I’ve learnt in playing with the basket now, is that you can do variations of selecting the date/schedule box that would result in:

• One single order (not recurring - the default).
  • No date entered - order today, and recur every X days. (what I wanted)
  • Enter todays date - order today, next order also today, then every X days (so like what I did but worse).
  • Enter another date - order today, next order the date inputted, then every X days.

I still vote confusing UX, even with the “next run” statement in there.

I can also put the date in the past, and get to the checkout, so who knows what the hell that does

1 Like

3 Likes

At least I know what to do when I needed cat food a week ago!

1 Like

This is just stupid. If the date field isn’t scheduling the order it’s irrelevant as selecting the frequency by default tells you the next run.

If I saw this on our site / app I’d be firing an email straight to the UX guys.

2 Likes

The wording implies option 3, but I agree it doesn’t make sense that you wanted 120 days of food in a few days .

That’s down to the programming.

It really needs an “if scheduled date minus today’s date is less than x” sort of instruction, “question customer again about dates” :man_shrugging:

Does anyone here use Amazon Subscribe and Save? How does that work on first order? Same or different to this example?

1 Like

The Amazon Subscribe option is why I assumed it would work the way I assumed;

You select quantity, frequency, then at checkout pick the delivery day. (Although only with the standard delivery options of like 1 week out) Which would result in “Option 1” in this poll.

I replied a little earlier in the topic with a screenshot of the subscribe and save option but for some reason that post is stuck pending approval? Not really sure what’s going on with the community at the moment, this is just a bit bizarre.

3 Likes

This post is now showing! I’ve had the odd message caught in the approval queue. Think some settings are being tweaked!

But yeah I agree with that sentiment - the secondary date aspect seems unusual!

I’m pretty sure with Amazon that you also have the option to avoid the first delivery and just add it to be delivered on your next subscribe and save date, and then it follows the frequency you set. Sort of how you’d expect that date box to work from the screenshot in the OP.

That’s what I do for new things I don’t need early but will need consistently, as it unlocks the max savings straight away. This is another example of a subscription service that doesn’t play nice with the recurring transaction in the Monzo app. Drives me up the wall.

Can anyone confirm if this is a recent discourse thing to randomly guess at potentially bad posts? It should just do the very first post when enabled.

I’ve had three occasions on T212 in the last week where the post contained absolutely nothing that would warrant any kind of approval. I understand if it’s Trust level 0 or even poss 1, but even 4 is affected.

1 Like

It’s only happened to me once, and only on here so far. It did happen after I was commenting on different threads back to back, so I presumed it was some kind of spam filter or flag to say this user is posting a lot in quick succession let’s have a moderator check they’re not spamming.

Although I was still able to comment just normally after that one went into review. Interesting it’s happening on communities elsewhere though, which suggests it’s a wider change with discourse algorithms.

1 Like

Interestingly for me it’s still showing as pending approval.

Yeah that’s the other strange thing, I still seem to be able to post as normal.

It’s actually a bit ridiculous that you’re able to set a variable second delivery date in the first place. Remember, this is for a cat. Why would a cat need a different amount of food in time periods 1 and 2 vs 3, 4, 5, 6…? If their needs are consistent in the future, why wouldn’t they be consistent now?

This is how Amazon do it. It’s still not perfect, but they do make it clear that a first order will arrive on the 22nd, and from then onwards every month.

3 Likes

I guess that post finally got approved then :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

I thought I was having a Deja vu moment there…!

3 Likes

This is more or less why Amazon is killing the competition. The endless hours of work that have gone into tweaking the checkout flow… I try my best to use alternative sites, even today, but the checkout experience is typically rubbish on most independent sites. Can someone please tell Stripe or whoever to build an out of the box checkout?

Along similar lines, could someone tell sites to show you what the shipping cost is up-front. It really grinds my gears when I’m forced to go through the malarkey of signing up and creating an account before I find out that shipping is extortionate and doesn’t make the purchase worthwhile.

3 Likes