[Q&A] Ask us about Pulse!

Shows to me that you’ve put money in your account and it’s looking pritty flush

I’m on iOS and have found that I don’t need to see more than a few transactions at a time. I get far more value from being able to scroll by a full month and jump to any date by tapping the graph.
I either look at one or two transactions or I want to see all my transactions in which case I export them. I would like better spacing on the PDF statements, the one I had to print the other day had 7 pages which weren’t numbered, but I’m confident these will improve.

I can’t think of a time when seeing 7 transactions instead of 4 would have made any significant difference for me. The practicality of the graph for finding specific transactions quickly far outweigh the loss of a couple of transactions.

Clearly this is a personal preference though and I wonder how the wider customer base view it.

3 Likes

Have a look at Starling. They don’t have a graph just transactions

1 Like

Like the way Fantastical does it with the calendar?

2 Likes

Yep, looks like a bug then. Mine follows on from today as a full white line for another 2/3 days or so and then stops dead, no faint white line projecting to the end.

Saying that, I’m not convinced there’s a need for both a projection on the pulse and a colour coded dial within the new breakdown tab.

I’ve never used that app myself, but that’s a perfect example of my idea. Thanks for the graphical illustration to accompany it :smiley:

1 Like

I can only see 4 or 5

I wonder why I can see more than others? Does Android show more than iOS or is it screen size/ratio? I get a total of ten items (8 transactions, 2 dates) in my feed on a Pixel 2 XL

1 Like

Thanks for the reply @Tas .

I get that Monzo iterates on things but I’ve never had a feature not work as intended before. It’s a fine line between a basic function and a broken function. With yours and @hugo replies though I can see you’re working on the scaling problem :+1:.

Don’t get me wrong, I still want the ability to hide the pulse graph as my screen is particularly small but if the scale is fixed then at least it becomes a matter of opinion whether it’s useful or not.

1 Like

It must be screen ratio with your Android screen longer but my Android screen wider?

Pixel 2 XL: 1440 x 2880 pixels, 18:9 ratio
Standard HD: 1080 x 1920, 16:9 ratio
iPhone 8: 750 x 1334, 16:9 ratio

On iPhone 8 Plus I can see 8 transactions at most depending on how many date headers visible. Not exclusively an advantage of android, just the resolution.

1 Like

It also comes down to how many transactions you do. I noticed from your screenshot earlier (I think yours?) that you use the card a lot.

I only really have one transaction a day at the moment. That means I see lots of whitespace/greyspace whenever it defines a new date. If you have 10 transactions on the same day, you won’t suffer from this penalty.

Samsung Galaxy S8, normal font size - I see three transactions. The rest of the space is the Pulse graph, a banner from Monzo asking me for feedback (removable, admittedly), the menu bar and a locked softkeys bar.

1 Like

I’m on S8 and see 5.5 transactions :thinking:

Over how many days?

Edit: having gotten rid of the “please give us feedback” banner, I now see four transactions on four different dates, and a fifth date.

over 3 days :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m also stuck with this. So, the future goes down according to my spend. However without a timescale of any kind, or notified future 0 balance date, it basically doesn’t tell me anything I can productively use?

I’m quite happy with pulse appearing and I can see how it would be integral to a number of improvements to come in general on monzo. For now it is a bit of screen decoration though…

My fave feature of it currently actually is the ability to scroll through history and actually read my previous running balance, a missing feature previously.

2 Likes

I’m kind of surprised that no one has mentioned this so far, but wouldn’t it be a lot more useful of a visual to have a pulse of the SPEND rather than the BALANCE? Your balance can fluctuate depending on how you use Monzo (ie more erratic if you top up from time to time before it runs low vs like an actual checking account), which isn’t as indicative of trend as just looking at the spend itself, which is directly looking at the changes in your SPENDING habits, visualized, which can be really useful to give you a month on month visual comparison of how much you’ve spent. Can we not at least have the pulse change to that so that it can provide at least some value to all users, especially if it’s going to be there anyway/can’t be toggled?

Just some food for thought.

2 Likes

It does show you the trend for your spend. The steeper the drop in the graph, the more you spent in any given time period & vice versa.

The steeper the climb, the more you unspend?

7 Likes