Pots

This thread could be interesting to you then. When @hugo showed us a sneak peek of the new breakdown interface in May, it had a ‘committed’ section which I assume would work out your bills based on past direct debits and then remove it from your ‘available balance’. Although we’ll have to wait and see :eyes:

https://community.monzo.com/t/breakdown/9589

Love the feature, for me personally it works. I don’t need rules or anything. Just a few pots to hold my savings. The one thing that properly annoys me is the massive spike in the pulse, I don’t think this should be taken into account. Time to whittle my current account down to 2 from 3!

And that’s fine. You don’t have to use any rules if they’re there. I think that rules-based pots functionality will be quite powerful for those that want it.

2 Likes

No android love? :slightly_smiling_face:

More characters

That’s slightly different than Starling Goals (Pots), they allow any balances in your Pots to act as a total balance, so you don’t go into overdraft until the total balance including Pots is used.

I don’t mind either way, I’m not sure which is best? I can see the merits to Botha I guess it just depends on how disciplined you are with your money.

1 Like

Are you sure? I didn’t think they let you spend money from your Goals either.

1 Like

9D99D95A-B52D-47FD-B0E0-588363094127

So it won’t take direct debits from the Pots, but you don’t get charged debit interest until your overall balance is zero.

1 Like

I’m sorry I’m just not seeing how this is different than the way Pots work?

Technically Pots are separate accounts but for all intents & purposes, they behave the same way as they would if they were in one bank account. The only difference is you can’t spend money from Pots.

I don’t think we know whether Monzo will start charging you interest on your negative balance if you’ve gone into your overdraft but still have money in your Pots?

2 Likes

You are both right. They do allow any balances in your Pots to act as a total balance so you don’t go into overdraft until the total balance including Pots is used; but they don’t let you spend money from your Goals until you delete the goal, whereby the money reverts to the main account and instantly becomes dependable again.

1 Like

What I like about starling is that it allows you to set up regular deposits to each pot. So useful.

2 Likes

I’m sure in time Monzo will implement this.

As stated previously they like to roll out a minimum viable product and glitter it up as time goes on.

7 Likes

Can I point out a small bug on the accounts screen 45D97E58-9AF5-4904-9C2E-B94726CE6623

It doesn’t move from 3rd counter on the bottom not sure why?

I don’t know what type of bug it was but he made some nasty black smudges :bug_poop:

EDIT: I ought to explain this is a joke

1 Like

Shame you had to spoil the joke by clarifying… :joy:

1 Like

I’m disappointed the :bug_poop: isn’t an emoji tbh :joy: but it’s the fact there are 4 dots on the bottom that don’t seem to keep up with what “account” you are on

1 Like

First dot is your main account, second and third are pots you’ve already created, forth is the pot you are creating :wink:

I know…but then why is the last dot not highlighted since I’m on create?

4 Likes

Ah sorry… missed that. Must remember to use my reading glasses more :nerd_face:

So Monzo’s initial offering slightly different from Starlings. You can take money manually from a Starling Goal and put it back into your main balance as required. You can set up a regular payment.

I think Starling have also said they will enable direct debits fron Goals in the future too and share goals with other people.

Be interesting to see how pots and starling goals develop over coming months.

1 Like

Starling’s Goals feature directly impacts on overdraft debit interest charged too.

1 Like