Persistent note or hashtag across recurring transactions, both card and direct debit (previously: Direct Debit additional and identifying notes)

Hi all. I’ve got something peculiar to suggest about identifying direct debits for what they’re actually for rather than the company name, as sometimes they don’t tie up. Let me give an example:

I have a Post Office credit card. The Post Office is not a real bank/credit company. They’re basically selling Bank of Ireland credit cards but with Post Office branding. Setting up a direct debit to pay off some/all of a Post Office credit card actually creates an instruction from “BANK OF IRELAND CR CARD SERVICES [sort and account no]” with a reference number of your card number.

The peculiar thing I want to suggest is being able to add a note (or even just a hashtag) to a direct debit so that, whenever it’s “activated” or whatever, the transaction feed item has the note I gave to identify it, e.g. “Post Office Credit Card” or even just “#CreditCard” as that’s far more useful. This means I could also identify my monthly direct debit to Odeon for my limitless subscription with a #limitless compared to whenever I buy food/upgrades actually in the cinemas themselves.

In short, it would be ace if I could add a note or a hashtag to a direct debit and it be applied to all applicable transactions, past, present and future.

3 Likes

This’d be super handy for recurring transactions - set a note on the recurring payments screen, then it appears every time that payment / direct debit happens.

I thought we’d get that as part of the big list, but apparently not :frowning:

3 Likes

Ooh, that’s a good point. If you’ve got multiple recurring card transactions from a single retailer, you could assign a note to them to identify them! I was only thinking of direct debits, but recurring card transactions would also totally be worth it! Thanks for that :smile:

I’ve updated the title to broaden the scope to cover both types of transaction :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is something that I didn’t know I wanted until now :+1:

3 Likes

I would love this to be able to add notes to direct debits when I have multiple direct debits for the same company. Eg. Both my wife and I have our phone contacts with the same provider and is love to be able to add a tag to each transaction reminding me worse contact this one was.

I believe the third party sets a reference on the transaction but if my custom note could be appended/prepended to their reference on the feed that would be amazing

2 Likes