👀👀👀👀 [Pay from pots with virtual cards]

I like the premise but I don’t think it’s likely.

Monzo are more likely to use features like bill splitting to encourage people to move the bill and pay it from their monzo account than keep it in a connected one.

4 Likes

So I think I’ve finally got my head around the consolidated feed that you’ve mentioned a few times.

I’m generally against consolidating too much on each account feed - it is meant to be a register of record, after all. (I wasn’t immediately convinced of roundups not having a separate transaction line for this reason).

But what if an aggregated feed wasn’t so much all existing feeds put together, but something a bit more intelligent?

The example in the quote above was my lightbulb moment: in the aggregated feed you don’t need all the detail - because the account feed will still be canonical. Instead you can summarise: combine two entries for debit/credit of two accounts; make feed entries more human readable; filter out some of the noise…

6 Likes

Now. I’m not against this. But I imagined it wouldn’t be possible automatically? Because I’d need to authorise the transfer to my other account. Although I’m unsure if that’s a requirement or just good practice?

This I LOVE :ok_hand:

5 Likes

This makes sense, I was wondering why it wasn’t allowed! I wasted one of my virtual cards because I created it first, then made the new pot, then went to make the pot pay from card and it wouldn’t let me.
Obv not a big deal because it only happened once, now I know how it works I won’t make the same mistake next time.

I’m liking this feature so far, when I’d seen it discussed before I wasn’t sure I would use it, but when it came out I realised it was literally perfect for Kickstarter! And any other service where there’s a “you are going to charged later” element tbh. Very helpful! I can set aside the money as soon as I make the purchase, but not have to manually make sure I transfer it back in time for the payment to go out.

3 Likes

I’d also like to know this! I don’t want left to spend to think I’m going to run out of money. Iirc when bill pots were first introduced, there was this issue, but it got resolved after a month or two.

This would be very useful, currently having to keep my old, unused subscriptions card open, since I’m not sure if I’ve moved everything over to the new one or not and the only way to check is to manually scroll through my entire feed and hope I spot all the tiny cards on top of merchant logos. I can’t even search by name.

1 Like

Out of curiousity, when will virtual cards for flex be released? early, mid or late Q4?

1 Like

Don’t worry about wasting them, just delete it and you get that slot back. For all they care you can make 100 virtual cards (per year), as long as there is only 5 total active at once (and the rest are deleted/ archived)

edit- thanks @Rat_au_van for pointing the yearly limit out

1 Like

You’re allowed 100 new cards per year

1 Like

So when assigning scheduled payments to pots, I noticed it’s not possible to assign the Monzo Plus/Premium monthly charge to a pot. Is this something that can or will be added in the future?

1 Like

Good to know! Thanks :+1:

1 Like

It has been much requested so hopefully one day when the planets align

2 Likes

Rolling year, financial year or just an actual standard Jan to Dec year.

I’d guess it runs from when you sign up

Dunno. Only used 6 since I signed up

1 Like

I searched by name and it worked for me?

I knew there was an annual limit but that’s rather more than I expected, I’ll definitely be ok with that! :laughing: As I say it only happened once regardless.

1 Like

Not for me - I actually have two cards with subscription in the name now and no transactions show for either when I search that.

Ah I think it’s because I have a custom category called subscriptions and it’s probably looking them up under that rather than the name of the card - sorry

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has been asked already but can we get the pots with cards attached added to the home button cycling of accounts? Without an aggregated feed it’s easy to lose track of transactions and I think this will be a short term solution?

1 Like

Having just set up iPhone Wallet, the virtual cards were easy as cvc is in the app but the cvc for the actual cards isn’t. It would be great to have the same info on the main account/joint account cards as virtual within the Manage section

5 Likes

Some thoughts on this feature having had more time to digest it and figure out how I feel this fits best into my financial life.

I was fortunate in that I’d only used 4 of my 5 virtual cards, and that I already used pots to segregate the one core subscription expense that didn’t conform to summary’s ability to predict them, given that it’s every 7 weeks. Pet food.

So I made a pet food card and assigned it to that pot. Kept everything else the same. I’ll want to revisit this in the future though. I think using virtual cards with pots is best only for edge cases right now, where features like summary and bills pots don’t have you covered. Another good use is travel, or for signing up for trials or using dodgy shops.

Right now, I don’t feel like they’re the right solution for managing all recurring card payments and subscriptions. Where those play nice with summary, the summary way is still the best way in my view. This could come down to just how fragmented mine are; a mix of Apple Pay and how some places use the same payment details for both subscriptions and purchases (App Store, Xbox, Amazon).

Some stores do allow you to store multiple cards for various purposes, but to do this, with only a 5 card limit, it becomes a choice between using them for envelope budgeting, or using them for the security and privacy benefit. And at that point, I can’t help but wonder if simply assigning a virtual card and a pot to a merchant would be the better approach. Again, we need more cards for that. I’ve previously suggested 10 as the next logical step. But honestly, why not more? In the US Citi let you create up to 100 at any one time.

In order for these theoretical use cases to shine though, I feel they would benefit greatly from, and arguably require, deep integration with Trends, once trends has inherited the more useful aspects of summary. So it remains easy to see how much money you need to have where, and when, rather than now, where I have to do that math myself and manually move it around as needed.

Another part of me wonders if all of that isn’t just an overly complicated set up and solution to an otherwise fairly straightforward problem that could just as easily by achieved with Trends once it has an amped up version of Summary’s committed spend projections.

To summarise, this isn’t the solution to master all my subscriptions like I thought it would be. Perhaps in the future as trends potentially improves to a point where it can automate a lot of the arithmetic involved with using pots and virtual cards for these payments.

It still is a very useful addition that makes Monzo Plus worth paying for in my view. Monzo’s vision seems really clear to me now, with this and trends. I’m excited to see how it all develops. And the thing I can see perhaps unifying the two concepts in a lovely coherent package? A numberless card for Plus.

6 Likes