Our all-new Savings Pot is here 🎉

Totally agree. Especially if the interest applied gets divided up among pots properly :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Agreed, would love to see this and would add some Monzo magic to the savings world.

5 Likes

Assuming the dragon blood tree is actually real, was that grown yourself from seeds or bought from somewhere?

Been trying to find one of these for a while now! Only ever found seeds.

It’s 100% fake.

4 Likes

:cry:

2 Likes

'shopped I’m afraid. Was trying to illustrate how unrealistic it would be to expect to grow a large tree from a small pot :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The one-pot restriction is so bloody annoying! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I hope it’s just there whilst they do the initial roll-out and not a permanent thing.

9 Likes

I’m pretty happy with the savings pot as is - I wanted more interest and fast access and that’s what it delivers. I moved savings from chase as a result. If I could have the same for the business account I’d also move money back there.

Personally I dislike that pots are like sub accounts sometimes and would rather they be full accounts, but to each their own and monzo have made this rod for their own back by portraying pots as special in some way and attached to something else though they now encompass bill pots, savings, external savings accounts and external isas, which really have nothing to do with the current account.

Not sure I buy that pots are necessarily small - people save large amounts in isas.

I see no problem with multiple savings accounts though and suspect monzo will get there eventually - there are no fundamental barriers to multiple savings pots IMHO but it’s natural to start small and simple.

8 Likes

Need the consistency of the sapling/leaf for all savings pots :grimacing:, provided by monzo would also be nice. I changed the picture but can’t remember if it was there before.

1 Like

It’s interesting because I don’t think I’ve ever come across a saving product that will show you the interest you’ve accumulated daily. I feel like I’ve got a good handle on rates etc. but it’s quite eye opening to actually see the money mounting up daily vs monthly.

It’s really making me reconsider my position and my financial planning for the next few months. I’m around 5 months away from paying off my student loan. The interest rate on that is currently 4.5% so I’m losing money by having my cash sat in Monzo at 3% and not paying off the remaining loan immediately. Normally grads are told not to worry about it because the rate is close to inflation so it doesn’t mean much - but in my position where I’m so close to paying it off, the 4.5% I’m paying has a real impact on my pocket.

Now I could go off on a whole tangent about how I’m planning to deal with this and balance reducing the loan whilst still having savings available over the next few months, but the point im trying to make is that it’s really interesting how such an insignificant feature in the grand scheme of things (showing daily interest) has really made me stop and think about the way I’m managing my money. Maybe it’s just the way my brain works, but there’s just something about seeing it there, daily in the account you use all the time vs in another bank’s account you rarely use.

10 Likes

This was a game changer for me with when I added my mortgage to my daily financial spreadsheets. Seeing that my mortgage loan was increasing by £13 in interest every day, and understanding that I could bring that down to £10 per day by making an overpayment of £XYZ really helped me understand the big picture.

6 Likes

I also really like this, very neat.

4 Likes

Chip do this with their new instant access saver (3.15%). It resets the interest counter at the beginning of the month but you don’t actually get the interest until the 4th working day, which is a little odd.

2 Likes

From what I understand here, Premium customers will get the 3.2% (it’s just increased from 3%) ASWELL AS the 1.5% (1% for Plus customers).

Correct?

If not, it makes the interest no longer relevant on the paid accounts.

1 Like

Yep… but see them as 2 separate things

3.2% on the ISAP
1.5%/1% on the first 2k on balance/pots excl 3rd party pots.

3 Likes

Thought so. Thank you for clarifying, @walderston :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@RichardL

The P2P Site Loanpad shows daily interest earned on the main Dashboard.

1 Like

Just went to add money, and saw this first screen. Obviously thought this meant I could add money directly to the savings pot from another account.

You then choose from a list of banks (again, thought this meant it would use the same authorisation for adding money directly but just put it into the savings pot). In reality it just gives you this screen lol…

What is the perceived value of building this whole flow for nothing?

4 Likes

Maybe this is the first stage of something?

5 Likes

Just out of interest, what happens if you choose other banks? Doesn’t Starling not really support Open Banking fully and other banks do? So, if you choose another one, do you get the same screen anyway or does it do something different?

1 Like