Our 2021 Annual Report

As long as my money is safe (which it is) and I actually like using Monzo I will continue to do so, regardless of whatever positives/negatives are in the report. I don’t have anything to lose. Every business has an element of risk and every business could collapse at any point. It doesn’t take a lot these days to turn the tide. :man_shrugging:t2:

11 Likes

I agree, this is just my take away from the report. I want to stay but i the fact they cannot see passed 12 months i personally do not like so for that reason i am considering moving but keeping account open to be able return if things start to look up.

You don’t see the annual run rate revenue and contribution margin positive as signs they’ve already turned the corner on profitability?

1 Like

I do see i slight improvement its the comments from the directors basically not being able to forecast passed 12 months. Most other banks can and have a sustainable business model Tom Blomfield said so himself in an interview after he left and he has jumped ship. This was also on youtube which apparently is unreliable.

Its like only positive praise is allowed. This is just my take

There are some good things in there yes monzo is growing but the numbers are not good and if the big bosses are not even confident they can see passed 12 months then i am not.

However i will keep my account things could dramatically change or they may get bought out by another bank.

1 Like

EWJfvFsXYAA3Qou

Today is going to be the day when people sign up or log in for the first time in months just to spread doom and gloom and misinformation from social media.

RIP Monzo. The end is nigh.

See you all next year :wave:

9 Likes

You’re focusing on one comment. Yes if they don’t do another raise and if the business model fails they’ll be in trouble, like all other businesses

That video was discussed yesterday. It focuses on tiny areas of the report with no context. The numbers are steadily showing great improvement and they aim to be profitable next year

3 Likes

Yep that is true but right now other UK banks offer everything monzo does and do have a sustainable business model and are profiting. Yes they are more established and probs had the same issue years ago when they started which is why i will keep my monzo.

I look at the numbers and it not as impressive as it is being made out to be. Long way to go for monzo.

It is not doom and gloom its just me. 1 monzo customer out of 5 million this is my take and it is not mis i formation because the info the videos and interviews i have watched is from the report and from tom.

I have been with monzo 3 years so this is not something out of the blue. The tide is not easy to turn. If it does go bust then you have to mess around claiming your money back

Again only positive praise stuff is allowed

Peace out :v:t3:

3 Likes

No. But don’t say something that people don’t agree with an then be surprised if people say they don’t agree

Read the entire report instead of watching a video. I’m not sure what interview with Tom you’re talking about but all the ones I’ve seen he’s said he expects profitability

3 Likes

Not only that monzo is top of the game when it comes to the app, no need for a branch right??

Ok so if you look into other uk banks like lloyds, tsb, virgin, nationwide these all offer monzo features. Granted they are not yet exactly the same and need a little tweaking but they have caught up. Making monzo not so unique so the selling point list for monzo is not as long anymore

2 Likes

My issue is that every comment has been unconstructive. The video explains the whole document. I also read the whole document. The interview was insighful from tom and he basically said they should have made it more profitable sooner and they got greedy. They even made redundancy’s which i guess alot of people did through covid but they sre barely keeping the lights on.

But all thats is mis information because it is not praise.

Gonna leave it there i respect you opinions and have not said anyone is wrong but good luck to monzo
I guess.

I posted this last year. I have just amended it slightly for this year.

Is Monzo going to go bust?
No. Last year they had a balance of £175 million in capital so they could lose the same amount this year (which they did give or take) and not go bust. They raised £202 million this year so that money should tie them over for a least two-ish more years. The aim is to raise more money and try to balance the books in 2022 so I cant see Monzo going out of business any time soon.

If Monzo went bust what would happen?
No UK retail consumer bank has gone completely bust for a very long time. Every UK consumer retail bank in the 2008 crash was either bought or bailed out. For example: Halifax still exists as part of Lloyds (and Lloyds bailed out), Northern Rock are part of Virgin or held by the UK Government’s ‘UK Asset Resolution’, Nationwide took in a lot of failing Building Societies, RBS is about majority owned by the taxpayer etc. In 2013 the Co-op Bank was capitalised by its hedge fund bond holders, etc., etc.

But what if it did happen?
The most recent example of a UK consumer retail bank going the wrong way was Co-op Bank in 2017. In that case it was going to actually run out of money that financial year (unlike Monzo’s position). When that occured the Bank of England were well aware of its capitalisation problems, it parachuted in advisors to support the Co-op Bank who were informed to either recapitalise through its shareholders or to sell itself, otherwise the Bank of England would ‘ orderly wind down the business ’. Co-op Bank failed to sell and was recapitalised.

The point I am trying to make is that the Bank of England is much more aware of banks going under in 2021 then they were in 2008. No one can say if the account would stay around or whether you could access money but based on the Co-op Bank situation Monzo would either recapitalise, be sold or orderly wound down and during that wind down you would remove your balance.

A Wirecard accountancy shambles (which cannot be predicted as well) could instantly lose access to accounts but in Monzo’s case of a liquidity crisis can be seen a mile away these days and steps put in well before it happens or to safely wind it down.

10 Likes

No it doesn’t. It inevitably gives one individual’s view on the document so is a source of opinion and not a source of truth.

That’s not a complaint, it’s just a reality of trying to explain something on the internet but, in order to take the content seriously, you need to also understand the level of knowledge and experience that the YouTuber has of his or her subject matter.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, finally a constructive response very insightful thanks

I think what most people are reacting to is the video you posted. The emotive ALL CAPS take on things fosters division rather than calm discourse.

This is one of the problems we have as a society at the moment: everything becomes polarised and you’re either one team or another. I don’t think anyone has leveled an accusation of misinformation at you: with respect it feels like you’re fighting arguments that no one has made (only praise is allowed, defending against a claim of misinformation).

On the report itself, for my part, this is part of the territory with a start-up. It’s not as good as it could be. It’s not as bad as many annual reports. I find it a bit meh to be honest.

Finally, it’s probably worth noting (as @Chapuys has) that this is the second year that similar things have happened. I’m interested in this as an investor, not a customer - personally I wouldn’t switch banks because of it. And most people probably didn’t notice last year and everything has been fine, with Monzo carving out a positive trajectory.

5 Likes

I agree i am not siding with anyone the video is in capitals because its youtube and everyone does this on the thumnail to get people to actually click and watch (clickbait) but it explains the numbers and statements that is all.

There are more positives in the 2021 annual report than negatives. Big positives too. You can see there’s a huge amount of work been done and still being done.

It’s like getting a supertanker around an island. You have to plan a direction change miles in advance to not hit it. Then once you slowly start to move off course to avoid it, that’s the direction you’re going in for quite some time.

Planning, planning, planning. Make a plan, believe in it. Stick to it regardless.

I believe Monzo has demonstrated this in the last 12 months. Very encouraging in a historically difficult time.

3 Likes

This is true, if i was ti ask what is it that attracts you to monzo compared to to other banks who are catching up with the same app features ? What to you make monzo unique ? I feel its just bending in now as a bank as everyone is kinda doing the same thing some better then others :relaxed:

Moving on from debates over videos, I’ve found this a bit anticlimactic, to be honest.

Yes, the numbers do seem to be going in the right direction. And that’s going to be a big, multi-year effort, so I’m happy with that. But in terms of product or business strategy it struck me as a bit thin. Lots of talk about business strategy, little about what that actually is.

I think I’m still hankering for greater agility, more innovation and pushing the boundaries whilst filling in core app and banking functions. I suppose I need to resign myself to Monzo never having really cracked that.

2 Likes

Sorry to double post, but I’m chalking this up as a part win from the 2021 predictions topic:

1 Like

Hi,

Tom, I have seen the annual report and slightly concerned with Monzo’s future however, I do believe that Monzo is still to date the best mobile only bank out there and doesn’t deserve to crumble. From my understand I can also see that passion capital (Ms Burbridge) has reduced their stake in Monzo!

Now you are at Generation Home, a ‘modern’ mortgage provider I believe this would be a great opportunity to merge Monzo and GH - allowing Monzo customers direct access to Mortgages whilst allowing Monzo the ability to earn some serious dollar!

(Also, I believe I have a great idea in regards to GH - came up with it a few years back - just need a better understanding on how to get the right team around me to develop it)

C’mon Monzo - you got this!

1 Like