Our 2021 Annual Report

It’s in the report :blush:

10 Likes

My favourite table in any companies annual reports:

Seems like a big old salary for one director last year.

Fair assumption that the highest paid director is likely to be TS Anil at this point (but not neccesarily) - though I find the report figures interesting, especially considering there was news of Tom not taking a salary last year (due to COVID) and other Directors taking a pay cut.

1 Like

Money well spent. Tom deserved more also.

3 Likes

Realistically, they needed an experienced senior leader to replace Tom at Monzo. You can’t hire that externally for a cheap price and expect them to grow a billion dollar company.

Honestly, given his CV I am a bit shocked at how low TS Anils remuneration is. A salary of just £260000 plus share options. He must seriously believe in and be committed to the shares - I imagine he could quite easily be earning seven figures in hard cash in Silicon Valley if he wanted to.

5 Likes

It’s it possible he’s also still earning from him Monzo US role, and that this might be through a storage set of accounts so not accounted for here?

1 Like

Oh 100%, don’t dispute that - but I generally just find that section of the report interesting - especially with the bit of PR Monzo got on the topic of Renumeration last year.

1 Like

Completely agree. I imagine the proportion of Shares vs Cash will change as time goes on (i.e. cash increasing as a proportion of total comp) - probably typical for a (relatively) early stage tech start up to be weighted more on stock earlier on. TS having meaningful stock is a great thing, and as you say, perhaps he asked for more stock rather than cash…

1 Like

Interesting. I have no idea on the legal structure of Monzo US but I think it would all be accounted for in this report. Certainly even if it is a distinct legal entity, it’s a subsidiary of Monzo UK. I’m sure it’s all mentioned somewhere…

2 Likes

Yes group and company has same numbers so no pay to directors of the group other than in the head group company. I imagine in US not a group director in that role so no pay related to that role in that note and shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

Quite an interesting chart

13 Likes

Hey Everyone,

So i am not expert on the report but i did want to understand better so for those who want to understand it better here is a video i found on youtube that give you more insight.

I mean if you actually look, it’s not as good as it is being played out. They do not even know if they will make it through the next 12 months.

I love monzo i do but other apps have now caught up with most of its features. Monzo is my primary bank for my pay and savings but based on such uncertainty i am looking elsewhere now but i will keep my account in case i want to return. I feel i am blindly staying with them until i can see any form of sustainable improvement then i will return. Sad times.

1 Like

Cool story bro

2 Likes

That video has been discussed before. If it’s all caps, you know it’s quality journalism, that’s why the SUN and OTHERS write HEADLINES like THIS. And just to be clear he also says it’s bad. Thanks, we got it.

Otherwise it’s the usual Monzo ARA scaremongering. They’re doing better despite a full year of pandemic (even if still not out of the woods). It’s not the bank for me, but I don’t write a mini essay about how they’re doomed.

Instead, since I haven’t commented here before, I think, I just want to say it’s an impressive mini site, and good to see improving results, so well done, Monzo!

7 Likes

Has that video been discussed before? It’s less than a day old.

1 Like

If we’re looking to YouTube for things to discuss then that’s sort of desperate. As ever, without knowing the qualifications of the individual doing the discussing I wouldn’t put much weight behind what they’re saying.

They could be 100% correct but how would anyone know?

1 Like

It’s simple, really, because as Abraham Lincoln said, everything on the internet is guaranteed to be true

7 Likes

It has not been discussed it was uploaded just over a day ago

I have already stated i love monzo just sharing my experience based on this information

It helped me understand the report alot better.

What your saying does not make it any less true

1 Like

Dream on!

I never said anything bad about monzo as i said i am keeping it open to keep tabs on improvement but i mentioned the monzo future is uncertain as it also says in the report they can barely see past 12 months and other banks have caught up.

This is my experience and opinion based in the report not the video, the video just explains the figures.

Just because it youtube you shoot it down as invalid but your understanding of poor results for monzo is good and your view over ranks my understanding. Cool :sunglasses:

It’s already been discussed in the correct thread.