Netflix Chat

This is an interesting thing that other streaming providers aren’t doing (yet).

1 Like

Is it just me, but doesn’t it seem slightly counter productive to say to people how long you’ve been without Netflix? I had no idea it had been that long and the first thought that came to me was “If I’ve managed that long without it, I can manage a lot longer”.

1 Like

Or you could look at it the opposite “I bet I’ve missed a lot in 129 days”

Humans are notoriously bad at judging time. “I probably only cancelled a month or two ago” so you don’t think you’ve missed much.

2 Likes

Didn’t think about it that way, but wouldn’t it make more sense to just say “here is what you’ve missed” and give more shows than just 4* rather than give a number on the days you’ve been away?

*in the email, they have The Umbrella Academy, Lucifer, Squad Game, and Man vs Bee.

I think it’s squarely aimed at the people who cycle subscriptions, and that’s why the number is important. “It’s been long enough, it’s time to cycle back to us.”

3 Likes

This isn’t just about Netflix, but it is the company that is talked about the most.

I’m binging ER at the moment and it definitely has the “we must show an advert” thing. They just advertise another C4 show and back in to ER.

3 Likes

Haven’t AppleTv had this for a while?

Yes, but it requires special Apple hardware such as AirPods 3/AirPods Pro or AirPods Max to make use of it. Sennheiser’s tech works with any headphones.

Ah ok gotcha. So not the first to do it but the first to be hardware agnostic.

(I’m in the apple ecosystem so it just worked. I didn’t realise the hardware dependencies.)

1 Like

Emmy TV Awards 2022: The key nominees - BBC News

Netflix and Microsoft team up for cheaper plan with adverts - BBC News

Interesting. Not sure I’d ever go for it.

Also, the image caption on BBC is:

Netflix has said season four of Stranger Things has been watched for more than a billion hours

Given how bloody long each episode of Season 4 is, a billion hours is about 100 people watching the season. :laughing: seriously though, it’s really off putting to see such long episodes, I can’t get myself to start watching it

2 Likes

I do agree about the length. I have to be in a certain mind frame to watch something that long, and I’m not in that mind frame very often. I know I can pause, take a break, and restart, but I feel that often takes away from what you are watching.

2 Likes

It’s not just a mindframe thing for me. I physically don’t have the time to watch something longer than 50-55 minutes usually so watching a season of what feels like many feature films is too much. As you say, stopping and coming back to it isn’t quite the same

1 Like

Better Call Saul returned this week after a huge cliff hanger episode several weeks ago.

1 Like

How long are these episodes? A season of feature–length episodes sounds extraordinarily indulgent, and doesn’t the plot get bloaty with all that time to fill?

1 Like

They’re around 1h20 each, with the shortest just over an hour but longest being a whopping 2h20. It is extraordinarily indulgent, and I honestly don’t know how they’re filling all that time as I can’t get myself to watch it even though I enjoyed past seasons

2 Likes

1 Like