“My mum can buy whatever she wants with my money”

If you live at home, how much should you contribute to your family’s costs?

2 Likes

Seems a tad manipulative perhaps. But if it works for them, then so be it.

3 Likes

For me personally I think you should contribute towards mortgage/rent and buy your own food, drinks, luxuries etc when you have the means to. I personally don’t think a parent should be able to buy luxuries with my earnings for me that’s taking advantage and has nothing to do with supporting the family. However I understand different cultures have different ways of life, and that’s fine.

7 Likes

I had an agreement with my parents whereby I could contribute less if I put more away into a savings account for my own house.

If my parents took money from me to buy holidays and laser surgery etc I’d still be there now :rofl:

2 Likes

Personally, I live at home and at moment I contribute to food, energy and water bill.The importance is that you should be treated as a tenant on mates rates(This stops the dreaded regression of independence for both the parents and child)
The clear aim of living at home should be to save enough money so that you can get up and leave and either rent your own or buy.(Hence the mate rates)(I’m moving to Newcastle at the end of the month as I have a studentship there)

2 Likes

Paid my parents dig money when I lived at home and was working. They could spend it on whatever they liked I suppose, imagine it went towards bills.

My parents take 20% of what I earn. Always been that way with me and my sister.

1 Like

I think my mum asked for £30 a week when I got my first job. I discovered when I went to uni though that my sister haggled and managed to get my mum to agree to £10 per week for her :neutral_face:

2 Likes

unlucky fella :rofl::joy:

1 Like

What is the legal position of going off with someone’s card, even with their permission?

Everything I have come across/learnt anecdotally down the years would advise against it

2 Likes

I’m not aware of any legal problems with this. It almost certainly goes against T&Cs of any bank, though.

2 Likes

Guess I personally included that within “legal” in my mind

It certainly could cause issues with fraud detection, disputed purchases and the like

Did you use your card for transaction? No, but yeah, but no

Either way, had never heard of the practice for anything but helping out aged relatives, so was a bit surprised to see Monzo putting it front and centre here

2 Likes

I think if you are providing consent for that person to use your “Credit Token” (I think this is the “legalese” conditions word for a debit card) you’d then have to prove it wasn’t that person who used the card on a fraudulent transaction and that you hadn’t been negligent in safeguarding your PIN etc. This is just a guess though.

1 Like

I’m no expert, but I suspect that a bank, if it could show that you had given your card and PIN to anyone (big ‘if’), might be able to deem that as gross negligence, and be able to deny any claim for unrecognised transactions in the future.

All of that is pure speculation on my part, of course.

3 Likes

Sorry that is kind of what I was trying to get at, whilst not a ‘criminal’ fraud as you gave out your card willingly, the Ts&Cs wouldn’t be very helpful in any subsequent arguments for a fraudulent transaction. I think they call it “friendly fraud”.

This is a very very hard thing to prove as against the customer - but yes agreed you’d be in a sticky situation.

1 Like