Monzo Staff Weekly Q&A - Rika Raybould (Payments Witch / Backend Engineer) šŸ’°

I donā€™t think this one has been asked - are there any plans to move to the unembossed(?) cards? I think the monzo design would look awesome!

1 Like

No plans but we keep looking at it. Hugo has a good explanation of why weā€™re hesitant to do it right now.

Any interesting reads for those wanting to know more about how banking works on a technical level? I ask because I assume a lot is behind NDAs, but perhaps you know of a few exceptions.

1 Like

Haha. Brilliant.

Another, more specific question: do banks periodically send our account balances somewhere? If not, how does the FSCS protect us against a bank who goes entirely silent and doesnā€™t tell the authorities how much money each account had?

1 Like

ISO standards are a good place to look at the messaging protocols and basic standards that physical cards follow.

The Mastercard Transaction Processing Rules are also openly available. developers.mastercard.com is mainly merchant stuff but has some surface level information about issuer things too.

Other than that, a lot of the cool stuff is under NDA or at least isnā€™t publicly accessible. :cry:

2 Likes

The FSCS Single Customer View is what youā€™d want to read into here! All banks are required to compile it regularly.

2 Likes

No @HoldenCarver was right actually.

2 Likes

Just as a heads up, I got a new card from NatWest this week, and theyā€™ve removed all the embossed details now.

1 Like

We had a new unembossed NatWest card handed in as lost property last week, they look kinda weirdā€¦ (Iā€™m just not used to them.) :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m so used to them being embossed, Iā€™d worry that the lettering would eventually start to wear off as well.

My embossed Monzo lettering wore off in a few months and the cvv is barely legible. In contrast my starling and tide unembossed cards have lasted well and look a lot nicer (though I prefer Monzoā€™s bold colour). Never had a problem with acceptance of a non-embossed card.

Hoping Monzo do move on from the embossed lettering soon, if only to avoid the design crime imposed by the embossed date sitting right next to the name, in fact the alignment of all the embossed stuff is horrible.

Would be nice to lose the signature strip, embossing and maybe make the number less prominent since it is rarely used now anyway.

2 Likes

Please no! Cameras really canā€™t read them

Had no problems with cameras reading my NatWest card when setting up Apple Pay and adding it into iTunes.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had problems with the amazon app mis-typing my embossed Monzo card so not really sure which is best :thinking:.

I prefer having an embossed card though

Hmm, wonder how much the app and or camera are factors too. Research topic, anyone?

How would this work in countries that donā€™t have Chip+PIN, or if the card machine is down and they have to do it manually (written or embossed)?

1 Like

I thought that was US market only?

Anyway, my question - what country do you see the most payment problems from? In my travel experience, some are far more problematic (US, Israel, Japan) than others (Canada, Germany [recently - it used to be awful], France).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.