Monzo Plus: Thoughts on Design

Yes I’m talking in visual design. The UI elements make for some really pleasing eye candy.

I’m also fan of card style UI elements too, as they demonstrate hierarchy to the content, which is both more pleasing to look at as you scroll down the list of features, and makes it easier to decipher between separate items in the list and which area is tappable.
The back button is one key element here that feels modern and looks nicer too, compared to the rest of the app.

The accounts overview pane uses a similar aesthetic, but every element is individual rather than grouped, which is just as nice, but inconsistent. The transaction feed lacks this UI completely, which is where that layout would work best. The payments tab separates and groups section in a similar way, but it’s all a single flat layer, which is another inconsistency.

Monzo seem to take a different approach to UI design in every tab, and I would like to see them unify that and stick to a single layout design app-wise. I think the plus tab is the nicest one they’ve made that also respects real estate, and so I would like to see them apply that layout to the rest of the app. It feels like a natural evolution to the accounts overview interface, but more compact, modern, and with better contrast between the foreground and background.

4 Likes