Monzo Plus: a fresh start with some fresh faces šŸ‘‡

I think there will be so many different opinions, but itā€™s good to see Monzo taking a proper step back this time.

I filled in the survey yesterday, but for me if Iā€™m paying for a premium account I need to feel like it brings me something new, something useful (or fun), and something that Iā€™m not still paying extra for.

So, for me, it would be nice to sign up for my insurance in-app, but it really isnā€™t that difficult to go elsewhere so I wouldnā€™t pay a ā€˜base feeā€™ just to access that option.

I would pay a small base fee for some other things. I personally like O2 Priority type stuff - little, random freebies that I can claim at no extra cost. I like working to quite a strict budget and Iā€™m not the kind of person to actively go out and buy ā€˜treatsā€™, so little deals like a free 500ml bottle of drink from a supermarket if I pay using Monzo, or maybe a couple of free cinema tickets once or twice a year, or a free visit to one of a choice of attractions once a year, could really get me interested. Basically, I like to be forced to enjoy the frivolous, because for me financial rewards would just get absorbed into my bank balance and Iā€™d get all serious with them. Free trials to things would also be good.

I donā€™t want discounts that I can find elsewhere anyway, and I want my deals and offers to be for bigger chains and places Iā€™ll actually visit rather than obscure independent locations.

Also, for me, on the note of ā€˜not something that Iā€™m still paying extra forā€™, things like the airport lounge access become pointless. If I still have to factor an extra payment for something into my budget, and itā€™s not something essential, then I just wonā€™t use it. So, for me, the airport lounge access in the bundle would have been pointless because Iā€™d still need to pay more to access that offer.

So, for me, fun ā€˜dealsā€™, free trials and ā€˜freebiesā€™ would be a top priority for feeling like Iā€™m getting something back that I wouldnā€™t otherwise have.

Things like buying other financial products in-app is another big priority, but if the price is notably higher than going direct then Iā€™d just do that. I would pay a small amount extra for convenience, but really not a lot.

I, personally, have no interest in no added value products like different coloured cards. The colour of the card makes no difference to my shopping experience in any way.

10 Likes

I think Supoort was the wrong word for me to use. But as I said above something potentially similar to what Amex do with their platinum cards etc could be an option when monzo get their normal chat in order. What that could be could be a concierge of sorts.

Again just a thought - I agree the support side of a banking app should be kept free for all, incorrect wording from when I typed my initial comparison, so I do agree that support support should be free for all.

1 Like

To paraphrase what I put in the comments at the end of the survey (which Iā€™ve completed).

I think Monzo need to be careful here, if they are standing as the bank that will help people manage their money better, then donā€™t hide THOSE features behind a paywall. As has been pointed out, the survey was already skewed before anyone answered any questions.

Equally, as others have said, I think the first steps for a new Plus would be better aimed at little bonuses or things that are nice to get, or really good deals on travel insurance would be the benefits of Plus accounts which, yes, means Monzo would be stepping close to what the Big Banks do but thereā€™s a reason for that.

And stop faffing with metal cards and what not. The majority of users donā€™t care (the majority of forum users donā€™t care!).

Bonus thought: Stop working on Plus for now. Get the budgetting, saving, core apps features working then come back to Plus. You donā€™t need to iterate on everything all at once.

And yes, Iā€™ll be cancelling my Plus today.

7 Likes

Seconded. One of my suggestions in the survey was to have a good solid ā€˜basicā€™ app, and allow people who want more advanced YNAB style budgeting to pay for ā€˜advancedā€™ (I think Microsoft Money used to take this approach with more features hidden behind an ā€˜advancedā€™ button or something).

It would mean refocussing Monzo on budgeting more than it is at the moment but in the long run I think itā€™s a more compelling offer to push Monzo away from big bank thinking.

3 Likes

My question for all those of us that are still on the old one as in Ā£6 a month with just the interest and then those that are on the bundles onesā€¦

I know you say you can cancel these but if you donā€™t how does that work going forward? Discount rates until you go live? Or do we just migrate to the new version etc.

As my frustrations I have stuck with you and continued to pay Ā£6 a month just for the card and interest but I have believed something would happen and therefore not cancelled yet.

Some might think I have been a fool, but I believe in this bank but donā€™t want to be wasting money if things are not going to happen yet @tomdavies

1 Like

The more I think about this, the more I think you have been handed a poisoned chalice. You will NOT make Monzo Plus work at this point in time.

As a company, need to take more than a few steps back to regroup. By telling us you are working on a monthly subscription and sending out a biased survey, you have immediately failed. It will not work - period.

You can make Monzo Plus work, but not like this. Listen to your users for a change (at the moment you just pretend to). A biased survey is NOT listening to your users - donā€™t pretend that you are.

10 Likes

Says who?

Nearly all banks offer a premium service, including FinTechs such as Revolut, Curve, etc. and is it a core part of their income. Just like every bank out there Monzo has to make money in order for it to succeed and personally I believe if it is done right then a premium account is a great way of doing this.

I didnā€™t find the survey biased at all, it literally covers ALL basis which is required to understand what the customer base wants. If the survey only included insurance packages or reward offerings then it would be biased, surely?

I think people need to stop getting bogged down with whatā€™s happened in the past, yes it was a massive fail the first time around, so what? Just like everything in life you live, you learn and you improve.

Just for clarity, I have been very vocal about the failure of Plus and have raised a complaint regarding how itā€™s all been handled but do I think it could work if done right? Yes. Give the team a break.

3 Likes

How much would you pay per month for all of these features?

Myself, clearly.

It is too soon - it needs a few more months for the dust to settle for for them to regroup.

Others have explained why the survey is biased, no need to go over it again. They even use Survey Monkey which would have warned them the questions were biased before it was published!

That is kind of obvious.

Hi @tomdavies :wave:,

Can I quickly just ask (in a positive way).

Why are you asking all the same questions the previous team did? I understand that you want a clean slate but nobodys needs or wants have changed from the last time.

There are several topics full of information and ideas already, they also did countless surveys too. Can you not just use this data to start reevaluating how youā€™re going to provide a solution? To me it seems like the process is being dragged out unnecessarily.

Also. What would be your suggestion for existing Plus customers. Should we wait? or cancel and rejoin later? Would there be any implications in doing this?

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I agree with you, If done correctly Plus can most definitely be a success.

It may have been useful for Monzo to just put Plus on a shelf for a couple of months and recalibrate a little, also allowing the forum to cool off a bit. Then come back and look at what they can offer to make Monzo Plus right.

2 Likes

This! Nothing has changed!

7 Likes

Do we know when itā€™ll be launching again? No.

The new team needs to ask the questions first then go away and figure out exactly what they are going to do, when they should launch etc. Whatā€™s the point in waiting a few months before asking the same questions as they are now? Iā€™m pretty sure the feedback would be no different.

They already asked them twice and ignored them. The replies arenā€™t going to be different.

3 Likes

Itā€™s a completely different team; yes they could read back through old threads but thereā€™s no harm in asking the question again via survey to easily see a report of responses. There is also 3 million customers out there who arenā€™t on this forum.

The community isnā€™t the be all and end all of Monzo and gathering customer feedback, Iā€™m sure the smoke test they are completing will be sent to thousands of customers who have never heard of Plus. Okay, the forum feedback may remain the same but thereā€™s plenty more voices out there that need to be heard.

1 Like

FYI the last team sent out surveys too :slight_smile:

Asking completely different questions.

The surveys were pretty similar. The ā€œtestā€ thingys they sent out were almost identical, whereby you had to sort various things by priority and importance.

At least Monzo are asking for feedback to help them improve, a lot of companies donā€™t bother and only rely on complaints made.

By asking for feedback, Monzo can like others companies that regularly ask for feedback can nip potential problems etc before them get too bad or add/improve things to keep them on top of the competition

I rather they continue to do this than not ask anything and presume everything to cosy etc

1 Like

They were also only shown to 5 people which is the reason the last version failed dramatically.

All Iā€™m trying to get at here is that the team need a break, the decision has been made that a premium account is the way forward and 11 people have been set the task to achieve it.

Theyā€™ve come to the community first to inform us and get our opinions (which is exactly what everyone was screaming for the first time around) and all Iā€™m seeing is ā€˜this will not workā€™ ā€˜you might as well give up nowā€™, itā€™s not constructive and quite frustrating for me to read as customer, let alone one of the team. :man_facepalming:

Imagine if they just went silent for 3 months and came back with an offering that no one had seen or be asked about? Weā€™d have the Bundles launch all over again.

2 Likes