Monzo Plus: a fresh start with some fresh faces 👇

Appreciate this is probably something almost said in passing but this seems like a bit of a departure from the “we wouldn’t want anything that made things worse for regular users” position when a discussion was had around investor perks (granted the sums/reality are/is different in having someone pay x per month for a service vs investing, but the outcome is the same: prioritising one user group can very easily make things worse for others)

I don’t think anyone expects to pay for functional support. If there was going to be some additional service layers on top like concierge type services or whatever, then, great, provided the baseline support is not adversely affected.

I don’t think I’ve posted in a plus thread yet, so for my 2p, - for me it is rare that packaged bank accounts add enough value to justify the cost and there is quite a lot of regulatory obligation around recording whether clients could actually claim on each of the products, annual reviews, etc. that make it seem like a less than obvious slam-dunk as far as making money is concerned.

What happened to Monzo as introducer/retailer, ie the marketplace, as a means to drive revenue? Customers can then adjust individual products to exactly suit their needs and Monzo makes their commission.

There appears to have become a heavy focus on a bundled approach (with a naturally constrained offering in terms of what you can get in your bundled product(s)) and if you’re having to bundle external services together rather than bundling multiple products done in house where there will be more total margin to play with, I have yet to be convinced that it’s possible to make a compelling enough case to people who know how to use google.

11 Likes