Monzo on Watchdog 17/10/2019

lol @ people cussing them on their own tweet

2 Likes

Because the forum has a readership of a few thousand, Watchdog has a viewership of millions who then tell everyone they know. A shedload of people moving money out of a Monzo account is not good news, it needs the money to lend to generate profit.

10 Likes

This was the “I knew it” moment for my mum who I spent ages trying to convince her that Monzo was reputable. There is a strong chance she will be moving her money out now. So frustrating.

3 Likes

I think it’s absolutely shameful that Monzo didn’t have anyone on the show to reassure customers. The presenter said that Monzo had been on the phone to them angry about them running the report, but refused to speak on the record.

Why? This is an ongoing issue for many people, and it’s no secret that Monzo lock and freeze accounts more than other banks. It’s not really on.

Existing customers are getting worried, and potential new customers will be put off if they’ve seen this. There was clearly forewarning that the report would be shown tonight, so the fact that they haven’t even responded to it (other than a tweet about why they freeze accounts a little while before the show - now we know why they tweeted that).

9 Likes

I think most of us who see “Monzo froze my account” just assume “there’s no smoke without fire” and all these people seem a little bit dodgy.

Having (seemingly) genuine people show up in person, on video, and seeing they are normal people… adds credibility to their claims, and make Monzo look horrendous.

I didn’t think it would be that bad, but this is about as bad as it gets for Monzo right now.

8 Likes

I agree. I didn’t realise so many “genuine” people were being frozen out as well.

3 Likes

But that’s exactly the point I’m making… if people took it with a pinch of salt (seeing as you can’t always believe everything the media tells you, especially if it’s the BBC in my opinion) then there’d be no need to worry!

Right, it’s a lot different when you see it on the BBC. Frozen accounts and disappearing money

2 Likes

Just shocking.

7 Likes

The problem is, how do we know they’re genuine?

A man in a suit could rob you blind and smile in your face as he does it, whereas someone in a hoodie could be the kindest person you could ever meet and would help you in a robbery by giving their own money to you… I guess you can never really tell is the point I’m making :man_facepalming:

5 Likes

They’ve badly mishandled this - criminal that the CEO or another senior figure was not on the show.

8 Likes

True, but you make your own mind up given the circumstances presented to you.

Random online username ranting away… Yeah, probably not much credibility.

Mum wanting her tex credits back? I see little sign to suggest she’s someone fabricating the issue.

Add in Monzos lack of response and lack of communication and it’s a poor effort all around.

5 Likes

Telling people to go to a food bank cos they’ve frozen their account, Shocking

8 Likes

I wonder how many of these tweets are actually true. I feel that some of them should be taken with a pinch of salt. However, if it’s true that Monzo did tell a customer to “go to a food bank to feed their 1 year old child” then there are severe problems here that really need tackling.

Slightly worrying.

8 Likes

Surprising number of people watching Watchdog on a Thursday night

1 Like

Just saying :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Twitter is absolutely lit up with angry people (as usual) @ing Monzo and telling them how they’ll “never use them”. It’s frustrating that that report’s gone out to millions of people who will believe anything the BBC puts out without doing a modicum of research themselves.

As has been said before, accounts on Monzo are easier to get than a traditional high street bank, therefore, more chance of them being used for fraudulent reasons (or even being locked out for breaking ToS? Like buying/selling crypto?) - fraud triggers probably way more sensitive than a high street bank. That’s all a given.

What I don’t get is the accusations of poor customer service. I didn’t actually watch Watchdog on the telly - just got texts from 3-4 people “warning” me of the show - but did CS actually tell people there was nothing that could be done and to source food from a food bank??? Can Monzo release redacted chat transcripts to disprove this?

EDIT: also agree it’s very disappointing that nobody came on the show to clear up the accusations - because now it certainly looks much worse. :man_facepalming:

8 Likes

Very true, it’s a matter of opinion and judgement overall… it doesn’t put me off being a “Full Monzo” customer.

I suppose the reason why Monzo haven’t been quick to comment is because they’ve already addressed it posts like this:

Why we sometimes freeze or block accounts

The community forum is open to anyone whether a Monzo customer or not so it’s technically public information.

Nevertheless, I’m sure someone from Monzo will address the issue within the next 24hrs

They should’ve come forward and NOT hide behind whatever stupid excuse they made up. I can see how the BBC could be scaremongering but things like this ruin company credibility.
They need to make a public statement, bearing in mind this is a company who says they’re transparent and yet they can’t make a statement on live TV? As a Monzo shareholder and customer, I am utterly disappointed.

8 Likes

This can’t be true surely?!? I’ll be taking my money elsewhere if that’s the case. Someone please send a pic of the tweet or any kind of proof please

1 Like