Monzo Labs: Share Card Replacements šŸ’³

Netflix emailed me to say theyā€™d failed to take a payment and then a few days later they emailed to say itā€™s all sorted now without any intervention on my partā€¦ so I guess it just takes time?

I thought Iā€™d read someone where payments often fail first time and then update on second attempt.
I canā€™t find the source for that though.

I have this feature enabled in labs but unfortunately when I changed to my new Monzo plus card non of my regular payments got updated: Spotify, Nespresso, etcā€¦

Such a shame, I thought it would be awesome to not have to update everything with the new card.

Additionally, there were no emails from any merchants, apart from notifying me that theyā€™d fail to take payment.

This has been in development for a while actually.

Any updates that can be provided from monzo? What percentage of the time was this successful? Is this now parked?

I donā€™t think this is a Monzo thing, itā€™s a Mastercard (and VISA) thing. You can read about it here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mastercard.us/content/dam/mccom/en-us/issuers/Documents/Mastercard-Automatic-Billing-Updater-Merchant-Global-2017.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjwr6WdoZfjAhWvSxUIHfQXDAMQFjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw1gL5cYWu8gZ8cpIE3tLRTr&cshid=1562105760952

And I believe the merchants need to provide explicit support for it.

No i understand thatā€¦ but its a perk here being offered by monzo so id like an update from their point of view on if its successful thus far and whats the next step

This feature didnā€™t work for iTunes.

This feature didnā€™t work at all. Iā€™ve had to manually update all reoccurring card payments

1 Like

Didnā€™t work for me either.

1 Like

Worked fine for me everytime Iā€™ve used it! :man_shrugging:

Worked fine for me with G Suite.

Obviously hit and miss then

Didnā€™t work for me for Now TV or iTunes.

In fact, Iā€™ve just attempted a top up with EE, which briefly showed the 3DS screen, before failing. Took me about 20 minutes to work out that they had the old card details. :man_shrugging:

Hi @simonb

Could we possibly get an update on this if possible please? thanks.

Hey Nathan! Unfortunately both the development and the adoption of this is down to Mastercard and merchants so thereā€™s not much to update from our end.

Iā€™ll invoke @Rika who keeps on top of all things Mastercard. She may know if thereā€™s been anything of note around this :blush:

3 Likes

A lot of exciting things coming from Mastercard with regards to card replacements without re-entering your details everywhere but itā€™s all 2020ā€“2021 and beyond but right now, their focus seems to be on Strong Customer Authentication, 3D Secure 2, deprecating more insecure payment methods (but sadly not magstripe yet), and tokenized payments.

10 Likes

I havenā€™t read some of this thread but I have this turned on and my subscriptions are being declined, am I missing something? :sweat_smile:

Iā€™ll biteā€¦ what can possibly be less secure than magstripe? Being forced to shout your card details across the shop floor?

2 Likes