Monzo Labs: Easy Bank Transfer

So when I come back from the other bank is what I see?
It doesn’t go back into the app.
Tried with 3 different banks and deleted app and reinstalled still this issue.

I’ve just given it ago with my Santander Joint account (shh, don’t listen monzo joint account…). Worked flawlessly. Not sure how the implementation works from Santanders’ end, but the fact that it lets me pick which account to send from is neat.

And I think overall it is still quicker to move money this way than doing it with a set-up payee as in Santander. It certainly feels MAGIC-ER if not quicker.

And I hope so much this will soon pave the way for better abilities to integrate with my AMEX data (or any bank account really) to do auto-money-moving transactions to a Bills Pot.

I managed to get it to work from Barclays, however when I already had the Barclays app open it didn’t take me to the page i needed. I had to close the Barclays app, go back into monzo and try again then it worked.

1 Like

I just went to test this feature out but then couldn’t because neither Co-Op Bank or Smile Bank was on the list… :slightly_frowning_face:

This is the issue I mentioned earlier. Sometimes the app to app flow doesn’t work and you land on this website we’ve put as a fallback. The button currently doesn’t work but we’re on it.

7 Likes

As I’ve not seen it mentioned elsewhere, I can also confirm I’ve had an email from Monzo with ‘Our easy bank transfer terms and conditions’ as I visited the feature in the app recently.

2 Likes

We have raised this issue with Barclays already, we will chase it up this week.

1 Like

This doesn’t answer your question directly, but we’re definitely looking at ways to make transferring money between business and personal accounts a little easier. Stay tuned!

9 Likes

Dope :raised_hands:

Nice feature, however, as my salary goes into my Monzo account, it is of little or no use to me personally.

Hopefully, it will be to others, and not just appear as a gimmick.

As another poster has already stated, if I wanted to move money to Monzo from an external account for any reason, I would log in to that account first to check my balance.

Clever engineering though :raised_hands::raised_hands:

4 Likes

I personally don’t see the point of this, I would say its easier just logging into the other bank and transferring money directly

5 Likes

What would make it perfect is if I knew the balance of my other account. I know that the sending bank tends to display that in their app, but knowing current balance before deciding to transfer is so useful.

14 Likes

It objectively is not easier to use the other bank’s app if you haven’t set up the payee before :slight_smile: Through this method you can bypass setting up the payee.

9 Likes

:eyes:

26 Likes

I get my salary paid in too so doubt I’ll be using this much. However as people have said it’s good building blocks for future features.

Seems like a no brainer to be have it as a card on your account with balance etc (and credit cards too please!) and then have a button to transfer from account or something like that within. Look forward to seeing it all develop in the coming weeks (days/hours)

1 Like

Generally speaking how easy is it to support different banks now that you have your own open banking platform, @kieranmch?

I’m assuming that although there’s a specification that the implementation varies somewhat?

Slightly self interestedly, I’m keen to understand if the barrier to accessing more niche accounts (like Coventry Building Society, for example) goes up or down.

2 Likes

There is a spec and most banks align with it, including us. Starling are a notable exception.

It’s quite easy to add new banks if they align to the spec, but there is also support cost/maintenance overhead so we wont’ do it if it’s a really niche bank without much overlap with Monzo. The banks we have at the moment provide something like 95% coverage.

14 Likes

Like a few others, all my income comes into our monzo account (not that the loan screen knows :speak_no_evil:), so it is of little use to me.

However, I hope this developes into full open banking where you can initiate a transfer to / from other banks current accounts that are displayed in the carousel / accounts list. That I do have a use for!!

Otherwise, if this is the fully baked version, I can’t help but think the amount of hard work is a little wasted given the fact it only saves time once (adding a payee in the other banks app).

Just my 2 pennies

2 Likes

My Natwest work like a charm for the first time. The money arrived in seconds

1 Like