Monzo in Ukraine šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡¦ [Discussion]

I donā€™t want to be that guy, but can we change the title of the thread? This isnā€™t Soviet era Russia ā€” itā€™s just ā€˜Ukraineā€™, not ā€˜The Ukraineā€™.

EDIT: Scrap that! I managed to edit it myself.

2 Likes

Fantastic, thank you for the information. Iā€™m just waiting for my flight out there.

1 Like

As a note on this, Euronet ATMs are now charging 99 UAH fee if you decline their conversion, around Ā£3. In addition Credit Agricole seems to be fee free for now.

Yep, unfortunately. I couldnā€™t find any non-Euronet atm last week.

Hi, all. Iā€™m off to the Ukraine next Friday for a couple of days in Kiev and a tour of Chernobyl. Has anyone been used there Monzo in such a place.

1 Like

This is probably the best place to look:

No problems whatsoever. Thereā€™s plenty of ATMs and the vast majority of places take card.

1 Like

That sounds awesome. My kind of trip! Have a great time.

1 Like

I go regularly and no problems at all.

As to be expected the merchant info is sometimes not quite right.

The most important thing for you is to start just saying ā€˜Ukraineā€™ (not the Ukraine).

Pedantry over, have a great trip!

1 Like

Yes and make sure you donā€™t accidentally say Speciba (Russian for thank you) instead of Dyakuyu (Ukrainian for thank you), like I did a few weeks back. One chap took great offence.

1 Like

Ok, Speciba.

or
Š”ŠæŠ°ŃŠøŠ±Š¾

And just to be polite
Š”яŠŗую

I went to Kyiv in May last year, and again a couple of weeks ago. The Christmas markets were gorgeous at St Sophia and in Podil!

Unfortunately, I got pickpocketed at the St Sophia Christmas market by a woman in a long, black coat and fur hat (WITCH!). Sadly, she managed to get my Monzo card too, BUT I froze it INSTANTLY on my mobile phone! I was able to transfer money to my sonā€™s Monzo account, so I wasnā€™t without money. P.S. Donā€™t even bother reporting it to the police if it happens to you, the one I told didnā€™t give a damn. Fortunately, my insurance company paid up with the evidence provided.

Are there any fees for card transactions in Ukraine (for paying with card not cash withdrawals) ?

No there are no fees on card transaction from Monzo. Make sure you pay in UAH and not another currency if given the option to choose on the card machine.

3 Likes

Thanks so much! Iā€™m supposed to be visiting family out there in the summer

1 Like

Hoping your family and friends are all OK there right now :ukraine::eu::uk:

8 Likes

Echoing what @j06 said - I hope your family & friends are all OK there :ukraine::eu::uk:

6 Likes

Does anyone know if Monzo bank card works in Ukraine? I am flying out to Poland tomorrow to reach Ukraine and will be relying on my card since Ukraine currency is closed as unable to exchange any cash.

1 Like
1 Like