Monzo in the media

I know you are all going to defend it, but I won’t be the only person who doesn’t find it at all funny. There’s no point trying to persuade me to say that it is funny when it isn’t imo.

The sort of humour in that post probably does fit into the style that Monzo has moved in to, but personally, I don’t think that has a super wide appeal that many other banks have. Maybe that is what Monzo is aiming for, who knows.

You are the most dramatic person on this forum. Nobody is trying to persuade you otherwise. It’s a discussion. You and Peter think one way, myself and a couple of others think another.

Considering your dislike of Monzo, it’s no surprise you pick that way though

5 Likes

There are parts of Monzo I like and parts that I don’t. I don’t automatically see something and go “I must find a way to hate this”.

And what I was saying was referring to the “For example, have you never laughed about something with friends that was embarrassing in the past and bonded over it?”. It very much felt like someone trying to push me into liking th advert which I’m not going to suddenly do.

I’ve said what I need to so let’s just leave this here.

And here you are again trying to end a discussion because you want to :lollipop:

There’s a series of tweets in that Monzo post highlighting people have been embarrassed and done it anyway, maybe it helps people who get to that stage and quit. Monzo will know when people bounce out.

I do wonder why it’s this though, what do Lloyds/HSBC etc do to sign up without going into a branch?

1 Like

I totally get this argument. But, for me, it only works when the situation is somehow unavoidable and the humour is generated from within the group affected, rather than the thing inflicting the discomfort.

It falls flat for me because Monzo clearly has the power to change the sign up process if they think it is really embarrassing and cringe worthy.

I’m clearly not the target audience, and I can see the logic in it, but I think it misses the target and falls a bit flat, I’m afraid.

7 Likes

Must have taken all of 2 minutes to make up in paint :joy: at least no effort was spared dreaming that up.

I’d actually go further and call it insensitive. To me it comes off very Starling. A cheap laugh at someone else’s expense. Like when people joke about being OCD when they don’t actually have OCD. This is the opposite of what landed Monzo in my this is a good company book after N26 shut down.

For a company committed to inclusion and with a boasted tone of voice guide, this sort of marketing is completely out of touch in my view, a stark departure from what it once was. It’s tactless, but this is just the latest of a recent trend that I really don’t like. Hope they stop soon.

I’ve said it before, but their social media marketing these days is very millennial trying too hard to fit in with the gen Z crowd. Like your dad thinking he’s cool because he can say bruh too, only he doesn’t properly understand it and thinks your girl friends are their bruh too.

3 Likes

Whilst I appreciate that any social post from a company account could be deemed an advert of sorts, I did not see this post as such.

To me, it was the Social Media team simply being human and relating to customers’ experiences, in a lighthearted way, as we’ve all been in the same cringe boat.

It would probably give someone who would otherwise back out of the signup process at that point, some comfort knowing others had “gone through it”. This is all very dramatic though.

Acknowledging and aligning with customers is a powerful tool, even if the subject is a subjectively negative one.

That said, did I like making the video… no! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Upload a photo of your passport. That’s it for the legacy approach. This was all that was requested when I signed up for RBS last year. The caveat being it took about a week for everything to be up and running and gaining access to online and mobile banking.

A modern take might involve a selfie too, which is what Chase do, as well as some legacy banks who have gone the app route. Barclays just copied the Monzling way though and I hate it. Their success makes the big guys think this is what people actually want. As opposed to what I think we actually want, which is just a quick sign up flow and instant account provisioning.

1 Like

Tbf those of us who signed up to RBS about a year ago did so through a legacy page for a legacy bank. Their sign up flow might have changed/been modernised (even at that stage).

2 Likes

Why do people feel silly doing it? It’s just a security video.

I suddenly feel I’m missing out on some universal emotion :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Presumably you don’t mind others with differing opinions carrying on chatting about it? Thanks. We’ll carry on, if that’s OK?

6 Likes

I didnt mean no one can discuss it. I meant we should leave the “discussion” about my “dislike for Monzo”. Is that ok with you?

1 Like

Because their is someone that has to sit there and go through every single video! Lol

I don’t think they go through every single one, I imagine AI does the bulk of the work and maybe some go for manual review. That really doesn’t bother me either though, some bank worker somewhere spending 2 minutes of their day seeing my completely normal video just doesn’t register as at all something to feel silly about.

I’m not surprised some people feel odd doing it but 'm a bit surprised by the suggestion that its how everyone feels!

I did see at least 2 tiktoks about the ‘cringe’ of opening a monzo account, maybe some went viral and they are trying to ride or counter that.

Edit;
A search for monzo and cringe brings up this one that got 1.3m views

:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The irony of someone who posts videos of themselves on TikTok feeling awkward at a 10 second ID video is probably lost on this person.

14 Likes

They don’t actually care. It’s all about the likes.

2 Likes