Monzo in the media

Not really, his reply was a reply to the ad which is why I read it as he was talking about the ad. The ad the company chose to run quoting a 3rd party referencing monzo. I am talking about the ad specifically in my replies which is why I was wondering if Monzo had too done an ad that was very similar.

I also think the ad the company paid to run could have been better rather than using click bait but I can understand why they did it. They may have ran other ads that were different, digital ad campaigns can have a large amount of creatives targetting different demographics.

1 Like

To you! To me his reply was to the quote.

I don’t see how this comment makes sense in the context of an ad. But in the context of the quote, it certainly does to me.

I digress. At this stage it’s clear we’ve both read the comment and surmised a different meaning, so we’ll have to agree to disagree as none of it is really relevant to what I initially said anyway, which holds regardless of how you interpret the comment I replied to. You’re arguing against a point I never made.

Edit: fixed typos and added clarity. What I get for trying to multitask!

New podcast episode (founders uncut) featuring part of Tom’s story: Tom Blomfield from Monzo - What does it feel like to Ride a Unicorn? - YouTube

1 Like

Monzo is one of the apps mentioned here Best app-based and online bank accounts - Save the Student

As a student, I would still go for a student account at a high-street bank due to the freebies and overdrafts. I have the Santander 123 Student account which has a 4-year 16-25 railcard, a 0% overdraft of £1,500 in the first three years (higher in later years) plus the Santander cashback retailer offers. The app doesn’t have the best features, but there are more important things than apps imo.

That railcard offer is such a good deal.

It is the reason why I got the santander one. I don’t use trains often but it’s good to get some money off when I do.

You can get the best of both worlds - open a high street account for the freebies, and open a Monzo account to use for most of your spending, if you can do so while still meeting the terms of the high street account.

4 Likes

Just to point out this is risky, if you set up an overdraft account and don’t regularly use it, they may withdraw the overdraft which they are entitled to do.

1 Like

A student not using an overdraft?!

6 Likes

To be clear I mean using the account where the overdraft is held, like taking all the money out and then leaving it.

It will usually be specified it should be your main account when a student overdraft is attached and used. If it isn’t seeing day to day usage, they’ve been known to withdraw the overdraft- meaning you’d owe them the overdrawn money.

This happened to me post uni when I switched my main account, leaving a £2k interest free overdraft there. Got a letter after a few months saying ‘your overdraft has been withdrawn, please pay us £2k’. Thankfully I had the money…

4 Likes

Santander requires you to deposit £500 per term. I think most student accounts are similar.

Fair point, I have edited my original reply to account for this now.

1 Like

They expect you to pay your loan into them

Yep, which is why the £500 a term requirement is there (£500 for Santander, other banks will likely be slightly different).

Advert in instagram:

6 Likes

Odd approach. “Sign up is cringeworthy and embarrassing. But don’t worry, everyone feels that way!”

11 Likes

Yeah, I’m not the greatest fan of that. It really doesn’t seem very professional and you probably shouldn’t focus on a potential negative when advertising a product, even if the negative isn’t a big one.

Personally, I think it falls in with sense of humour, Monzo isn’t corporate dull as some other banks.

We’ve all done it, and felt silly doing it, but it’s part of the ID process.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s a big deal.

Highlighting that everyone feels the same seems a sensible thing to me.

9 Likes

By highlighting something that everyone went through and making fun of it brings people together more.

For example, have you never laughed about something with friends that was embarrassing in the past and bonded over it?

2 Likes