šŸ‡ŖšŸ‡ø Monzo in Spain [Discussion]

Hi all,

Iā€™m visiting Barcelona in April. Does anyone have a tips or things to look out for (minus the DCC)?

Thanks

Based on my trip to Madrid, just finishing, expect the unexpected when it comes to using your card in shops

Had decided to use my actual card everywhere as there are so many different form factors for card terminals

Most places had me tap first regardless of value and then lots required PIN (numero secreto) as well. Zara also asked me to sign their receipt to confirm my DCC choice of Euros!

Finally decided to take a crack at Google Pay on my phone at MANGO last night and that was as slick as expected

1 Like

When the terminal says ā€œespere por favourā€ it means wait and advice sticking it out as does get there

When the terminal says ā€œ??? tarjetaā€ it means remove card - cannot remember the first word

When the terminal says something about ā€œnumero secretoā€ itā€™s after your normal PIN

This leads to the wonderful status message ā€œnumero secreto correctoā€ when you get it right - sounds like a spell from Harry Potter

3 Likes

Thanks for the help! Iā€™ll keep an eye out for a few wizards

1 Like

And now they do charge. ā‚¬1.85 for a ā‚¬100 withdrawal.

BBVA is free so is Bankinter.

Santander wanted a conversion rate of ā‚¬0.75 per Ā£1 PLUS a ā‚¬5 euro ATM fee.

:zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face::zipper_mouth_face:

Hi there!, i have a question, i stay in Spain, and i have 2 problems, in a train when i want to pay with my debit card, they say me that i only can pay with magentic band, no contactless, no with pin,.
What can i do? Thank you very much

Were you unable to pay using the magstripe?

If you couldnā€™t pay that way, you can turn on Magstripe ATMS (i.e. itā€™s more about withdrawing cash from specific ATMs but I guess it might also work here) in the app. Try that.

2 Likes

I traveling in RENFE, a spanish train services, and in the coffe shop they only have a card reader, The card reader can read the magstripe but the message was ā€œPay not acceptedā€
And i canā€™t activate with any app, or monzo app? Thank you very much

Go into your Monzo app. Click on MANAGE CARD. The option to turn on should be there. It will turn itself off after 7 days (I think) as itā€™s a temporary setting, so you will need to keep an eye on it.

2 Likes

Just as an update, caixa bank is free for withdrawals, but make sure you do not accept their conversion rate! Enter savings account, say no their conversion and youā€™re not charged any fee.

3 Likes

Just back from a trip to Tenerife.

Monzo worked flawlessly there, and certainly makes managing holiday expenses easier.

Banca March ATMs are also free using the above rules.

But avoid Euronet, you can reject their currency conversion but they charge ā‚¬2.95 if you want to do this. There are plenty of free ATMs around so there is no need to use them.

3 Likes

Hi Guys,

Iā€™m currently in Tenerife in Los Gigantes and have found myself running a tad low on Euros. Can I just take my monzo card to an atm here and withdraw euros? If so is there anything I need to know before I do?

Thanks

Yes you can (limit of Ā£200 before Monzo charge).

Make sure you decline the ATMā€™s conversion and subsequent warnings about how your bank ā€œcouldā€ charge you millions of pounds if you donā€™t take their conversionā€¦

They wonā€™t. This isnā€™t 2015 :joy:

4 Likes

Used my monzo card in Madrid everywhere I went. Worked perfectly well, there were instances where I was asked if I wanted to pay in pounds or euros. Thanks to the monzo guidelines I paid in euros, I made sure that everything was paid in euros to avoid paying additional fees. I needed to withdraw some cash so I went to BBVA and they charged a ā‚¬1.87 conversion fee which wasnā€™t too bad. Santander is a joke, ā‚¬5 to withdraw money. When travelling to Madrid I recommend using CaixaBank as there are no withdrawal fees.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just experienced the ā‚¬5 Santander ATM charge. First and last time that happens :frowning_face:

1 Like

Wouldā€™ve been free if youā€™d had a Santander 123 account. Youā€™re paying the ā‚¬5 so I donā€™t have to. Cheers :beers:

5 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome :anger:

3 Likes