Monzo for Android - Teardowns & Deep Dives šŸ‘Øā€šŸ’»

Agree 100% but I want to wait to see exactly what theyā€™re doing. Having a name but no details could well mean we are thinking completely the wrong thing

9 Likes

Agreed, I donā€™t think itā€™s good practice to encourage people who want to save to reach their goal to take out a loan to reach it faster. Thatā€™s quite irresponsible in my view, and I strongly hope that theyā€™ll reconsider this. Iā€™m conscious about the fact that loans will be important for Monzo to reach profitability, but this, in my view, goes too far - I wouldnā€™t advocate profitability at any cost.

3 Likes

Absolutely! :boom:

I donā€™t want to start shouting at Monzo about something I canā€™t be 100% sure is accurate :innocent: but the way it reads leads me to assume what the change indicates :slight_smile:

But I certainly trust Monzo enough that I donā€™t feel theyā€™re doing anything intentionally ā€˜sketchyā€™ :smiley: the way I use pots wouldnā€™t welcome the offering of a loan but I cannot speak for every use case :joy:

Itā€™ll be interesting to see whether Monzo blog about it or show some more details in a sneak-peak thread in the future :slight_smile:

Just to echo @Rat_au_van, itā€™s purely speculation at this stage :slight_smile: I donā€™t doubt that Monzo are handling this in a fair and positive way as opposed to preying on anybody whoā€™s desperate to hit that goal - whatever it may be :blush:

6 Likes

I think the offer of a loan to meet a pot goal would only make sense if the ability to include a target date for a pot goal is built.

In that scenario, people might take up the offer of a loan to pay for a holiday they need to pay for on the pot goal target date or new phone released on the pot goal target date.

A pot goal target date would also make it easier for Monzo to identify people who might want one of these loans (eg: people with a pot called ā€œHolidayā€ or ā€œSkiingā€ or ā€œnew phoneā€ who donā€™t look like theyā€™re going to reach their goal before their target date after scheduled transfers into the pot are taken into account) and so reduce the chances of Monzo accidentally annoying people who are on track to meet their goal targets.

Completely agree with this. I imagine Monzo would only send these loan suggestions to people who have met Monzoā€™s credit check requirements and so are eligible for their loans anyway.

2 Likes

It should do if the airline sends it! This data is optional for airlines to include and only shows up when the transaction settles a few days after it was originally made.

This feature was highly experimental and in the end, not enough airline transactions included the data to justify building it out much further for now. The strings removals are just cleaning up some of the concepts that were never fully built for what we could do with the data if it were reliably available.

9 Likes

Version: 2.36.1

Changelog: Monzo for Android - Beta Channel Changelog šŸ•µ

Changes:

<boolean name="truelayer" value="false" /> - New :sparkles:
<boolean name="account_v2_enabled" value="true" /> - Changed :boom: (Rollout basis)

String Changes:

<string name="locked_pot_unlock_message">If you do, weā€™ll move all the money back into your main balance and close this Pot.</string>

<string name="locked_pot_unlock_title">Are you sure you want to unlock this Pot?</string>
<string name="pot_detail_unlock_title">Unlock Pot and withdraw</string>

<string name="unlock_pot_action">Yes, unlock and close this Pot</string>
<string name="unlock_pot_dismiss">No, keep it locked</string>

Locked pots are the only changes in this release, as far as I can see :wink:

Matches exactly what Iā€™ve covered in this thread: Unlocking your own Monzo Pot šŸ”“ :hot_coral_heart:

2 Likes

I would have thought if you have a pot named new phone and it does not have enough money for when the new phone is released, you wait longer untill you do have the money saved.

Taking out a loan so you can have the latest handset on release day is a bit irresponsible.

1 Like

In that case yes i agree with you.

But what about a ā€œcar insuranceā€ pot and you havent met the goal amount in time to pay for your renewal?

There is a valid case i think

3 Likes

Completely agree, but it only makes sense if Monzo add target dates for pot goals.

Seems like you can unlock pots yourself now. And the new account screen has been more widely rolled out.

Still no indication a pot is locked from the new account screen, though.

Deleting pots seems to bug out. It returns you to the pot edit screen of the pot you just deleted. Returning to the account screen eventually deletes it. Trying to edit from the pot screen results in an error.

1 Like

Certainly can :eyes: I posted more about that down below :smiley:

New account screen is looking fantastic :sunglasses: Have you also got it? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahhh. :grinning:

Yeah the account screen is better. Guess Iā€™d echo the comments about the Add Money button and positioning of the loans/overdrafts.

The add money button could be moved to the pin reminder and card management buttons but Iā€™d understand if it was more obvious as is for new users initially.

Iā€™d argue the borrowing section should only appear above pots if it is actively being used.

I guess Iā€™d also want the next iteration to reduce the amount of screen space used for the skeuomorphic card, too.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s too big of a word for a Monday :exploding_head:

2 Likes

I like the ā€œAdd moneyā€ button where it is.

Even though Iā€™m not a new user, I use it quite often. Itā€™s the best way of sharing account details and when cheque imaging is introduced itā€™ll be needed for that.

Version: 2.37.0 :tada:

Changes:

<string name="account_external_cards">Credit cards</string>

<string name="external_card_balance">Total balance</string>
<string name="external_card_balance_available">%1$s available</string>
<string name="external_card_balance_available_soon">Your balance will show soon.</string>
<string name="external_card_balance_last_updated">Last updated %1$s</string>

:eyes: More movement on the Amex integration :hot_coral_heart:

<string name="borrowing_hub_active_loan_subtitle" formatted="false">Youā€™ve paid %s of %s</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_active_loan_title">Your %s loan</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_active_overdraft_subtitle">Your current limit is %s</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_active_overdraft_title">Your Overdraft</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_eligible_loan_body">"Flexible loans at %s APR
Get the money the same day
No other fees"</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_eligible_loan_subtitle">Get a loan up to %s</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_eligible_loan_title">Personal loan</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_eligible_overdraft_subtitle">Youā€™re eligible for up to %s</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_eligible_overdraft_text">Youā€™ve got a free buffer of Ā£20. After that, weā€™ll charge you 50p a day.</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_eligible_overdraft_title">Running Empty?</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_ineligible_loan_subtitle">Find out more</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_ineligible_loan_title">Youā€™re not eligible for a loan</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_ineligible_overdraft_subtitle">Find out more</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_ineligible_overdraft_title">Youā€™re not eligible for an overdraft</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_loans_header">Loans</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_overdraft_header">Overdraft</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_spread_the_cost_body">Weā€™ll put the money straight back in your account and you can repay over 3 to 12 months. %s representative APR</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_spread_the_cost_subtitle">Over purchases from Ā£200 to Ā£1000</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_spread_the_cost_title">Spread the Cost</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_survey_card_body">Let us know what type of loan or credit youā€™re keen to see on Monzo next.</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_survey_card_button">GIVE FEEDBACK</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_survey_card_title">Looking for something you canā€™t find?</string>
<string name="borrowing_hub_toolbar_title">Your borrowing options</string>

WOAH thatā€™s a lot of borrowing / loan work :eyes:
This now wraps up: Loans, Overdrafts & Spread the Cost :boom:

<string name="card_action_borrowing_hub_no_shadow_limit">Learn about loans and overdrafts</string>
<string name="card_action_borrowing_hub_shadow_limit">Youā€™re eligible for up to %s</string>
<string name="card_action_borrowing_hub_shadow_limit_subtitle">See all your borrowing options</string>

<string name="card_borrowing_hub_subtitle">Based on your credit score</string>

<string name="deep_link_borrowing_hub">borrowing_hub</string> :boom: - A new deeplink
monzo://borrowing_hub

<string name="deep_link_credit_builder">credit_builder</string>
<string name="deep_link_spread_the_cost">spread_the_cost_offer</string>

Deleted deeplinks :open_mouth:

Spread the cost seems to have been reformed into the borrowing hub :slight_smile: So itā€™s not gone anywhere :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

<string name="profile_premium_subscriptions_title">Monzo Plus</string>

<string name="profile_your_monzo_text">Discover how to become a Monzo pro</string>
<string name="profile_your_monzo_title">Your Monzo</string>

More references to Monzo Plus :yum:
And something about being a ā€œMonzo proā€? :eyes:

Assets:

image - Spread the cost icon removed :x:

New! :tada:
monzo_star checkmark loan_option survey spread_the_cost

overdraft overdraft_ineligible

loan loan_ineligible

amex_card

I think the images are named :yum: but if notā€¦ from left to right & top to bottom:
monzo_star, checkmark, loan_option, survey, spread_the_cost, overdraft, overdraft_ineligible, loan, loan_ineligible and finally amex_card :boom:

Feature Flags:
<boolean name="trustpilot_csat_prompts_enabled" value="false" /> - New :sparkles:
<boolean name="your_monzo_enabled" value="false" /> - New :sparkles:
<boolean name="chat_simple_greeting_enabled" value="true" /> - New :sparkles:
<boolean name="chat_suggested_articles_enabled" value="true" /> - Changed (now True) :tada:

6 Likes

Survey card? Canā€™t even guess at that

2 Likes

Are we going to be begged/bugged in app for reviews. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hopefully this is a dismissable feed item and not an annoying pop-up.

2 Likes

I canā€™t be sure what this will mean yet :see_no_evil:

There could be several interpretations of this :eyes: It could be a standalone link to TrustPilot, it could be a slightly tweaked rating system for Monzo chat, it might be scrapped altogether after an A/B test :blush:

Itā€™s too early to tell with some things, everything I post on this thread should be taken with a pinch of salt as it may never see the light of day :innocent:

5 Likes

Sorry to disappoint but I think it may be a popup. Itā€™s currently (or may have now stopped) being trialed with a small amount of people.

1 Like